The worst performing RX 580 ever made?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by WhatNot98, Jun 19, 2020.

1. WhatNot98

WhatNot98
    Expand Collapse

I did a bench mark of my system, and these were the results i got. My CPU was as expected (I probrably have the only Ryzen 7 1700 in the world that hasnt been overclocked xD). My SSD was disappointing, my HDD was fine, but my GPU was in the 0% PERCENTILE!!! Any body know why this is?
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/29613079

2. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Thermal throttling. Put some fans in it.

3. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Want a GPU to work? Buy anything from Nvidia.

4. iPle

iPle
    Expand Collapse

You're funny as f

5. WhatNot98

WhatNot98
    Expand Collapse

great help dude. Really fixed my problem

6. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

You bought an AMD card. It runs hot, like they all do. It's throttling hard, like they all do.

To fix your problem, buy an Nvidia card. Don't want to? No problem! Get your 99% IPA and an anti-static strap ready, because now you're breaking your card apart, cleaning up all the old crappy paste, and applying fresh thermal paste to help aid thermal transfer at all.

Or perhaps your drivers aren't controlling the fans correctly, because it's an AMD card, and the drivers don't work. Or perhaps your card isn't regulating voltage correctly, because the drivers/firmware don't work right.

Or maybe your case sucks and has no airflow. I don't know, you left basically zero information. Take your side panel off and see if it improves. Does it? Great news! Your case sucks. Buy a new case, then buy an Nvidia card as they tend to run cooler overall.

7. iPle

iPle
    Expand Collapse

This is the stupidest reply i ever read, AMD only makes chipsets, for fan control etc. responds MSi, Gigabyte and other brands so maybe he just has crappy copy of GPU, it's not AMD fault.
    Mr. Nvidia-fan -_-

8. WhatNot98

WhatNot98
    Expand Collapse

My case is a CoolerMaster Q300L cooling is no issuse since i have 5 case fans aswell. My card is NOT throttling either. So, instead of acting like a small child by saying 'jUsT bUy nViDiA nErD' actually provide some useful help. Otherwise, you are not wanted on this thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

Except it is? Do you know how drivers and firmware work? Clearly not.

Let me school you real quick. AMD designs a reference PCB for their new GPU. They like to use blower style coolers for this, but that's actually not a large issue done right. Some manufacturers buy the reference design and either resell it, or throw their own cooler on it. What does that mean? It means that ultimately those cards run AMD's designed firmware, not anything special.

"But Mr. Robin!" you may ask, "don't some manufacturers use custom PCB's?"

Why yes, young Padawan. And sometimes the firmware is even modified from its original state!

"So then the PowerColor is custom, right?"

Not so fast. Yes, but no. For this generation, going from what I've been told about these direct from PowerColor, as hardware is my line of work, the PCB is reference-style custom (think better power management, larger PCB) and the card has a dual-BIOS. One BIOS is the stock AMD firmware, the other is a PowerColor custom. The cards ship from the factory to use the AMD firmware. That firmware is known to have problems with zero rpm fans and power management on 100% reference cards and the problem is even worse on custom ones. Drivers are supplied by AMD only.

That's a good case, not gonna lie. It's important to remember that AMD cards, much like their CPU counterparts, throttle at a lower temperature than their Nvidia rivals, but don't drop clocks as drastically. From what I've gathered looking at reviews, TJmax for these cards is around 80-85⁰C, and they start to throttle at 70-75⁰C. Thats with a higher end dual fan like either the Red Devil or Sapphire Pulse/Nitro. The Red Dragon cooler runsba little warm, I've worked with these cards in a Eutherium mining scenario. I've already told you to re-paste the card with something better. The OEM ASATEK crap manufacturers use is pretty not amazing (but better than some stuff you can find in a tube, funny enough).

Re-paste it and run the card with PowerColor's firmware by flipping the switch. Call me in the morning.

If it still runs terrible, you just have a bad card. Nothing you can do then. Either live with it, or replace it. Your call there. If you want something that works, go with either something from Nvidia, or the Sapphire or PowerColor 5700XT's. The rest of the RDNA1 cards still have some pretty bad driver issues. Nothing about the firmware either of the previously mentioned 5700XT's is at all reference. That's why they work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice