1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of buying a wheel: recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Belvedere58, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Belvedere58

Belvedere58
    Expand Collapse

I haven't seen a recent thread and didn't want to bump an old one.

What sort of gaming wheels are you using and are there recommendations? Should I splurge on a shifter? Feel like I may as well go all in.

2. Jer

Jer
    Expand Collapse

I have a reall nice PXN wheel ( comes with petals )
    It reads as a controller, and has all controller buttons, but in the shape of a wheels!

• Like Like x 2
  3. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

Cant go wrong with the logitech g920 / g29. The g923 is better than both but doesn't really have beamng support. They also come with optional shifters.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Belvedere58

Belvedere58
    Expand Collapse

The those are on sale on Amazon for $152 off. Do they both work with PC/beam or do you need to get the G920 Xbox one?

5. byLouisPvP

byLouisPvP
    Expand Collapse

1. They both work with PC.
    2. If you would like to spend a little bit more money I would recommend you to buy the T300RS from Thrustmaster. It has got better force feedback that the logitech wheels and is driven by belts and not by gears. The G29/G920 tends to do a little bit of a vibration because the cogwheels are VERY loud. The T300RS is very quiet and you only feel the force feedback.

6. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

My g920 isn’t loud at all. It’s only loud if you turn the wheel all the way left and right, the stoppers are pretty loud.

Though, force feedback in BeamNG is hot steamy garbage, so it doesn’t really matter what wheel you get at this point

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

The Logitech wheels are generally the standard starter wheels. High MSRP for some reason but no one sells it at MSRP. It'd say it's nice for the price, I like mine. The wheel is a bit small in terms of diameter and the lack of handbrake sucks (unfortunately not many come with a handbrake until you get to the very expensive ones. I'm tempted to try one of those sketchy ebay specials, I really hate not having a handbrake). Personally my set up is the G29 with H-Shifter for the car stuff and a gamepad (F710 or DS4) for the misc. controls like camera and handbrake. IIRC the xBox versions have one or two less buttons than the PS version for some reason, but both will work on PC. Basically the G920 is the same wheel at the same price but with less buttons.

A lot of people would recomend whatever the competing Thrustmaster wheel is. It must be good since it seems everyone who has tried one prefers it over the logitech.

Of course you should check out other recources for recomendations such as Youtube. There's some other stuff worth checking out; I remember seeing a kickstarter maybe a year ago for what looked like a nice and affordable direct drive wheel, not sure what ever happened to that.

Be warned it may take a couple of play sessions to get use to the wheel, but once you are it's a real gamechanger.

• Like Like x 1
  8. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

What I do is just drive an actual car

• Like Like x 2
  9. Belvedere58

Belvedere58
    Expand Collapse

Thank you, that was helpful.

My 1958 Plymouth has less road feel than a game wheel. So.

10. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

As others said, getting a G29/G920/G923 is probably the way to go as it most likely has the best game support from all wheels ever. The only other option I could recommend is a Thrustmaster T150, but I haven't used one so take my recommendation of it with a grain of salt

11. 98crownvic

98crownvic
    Expand Collapse

G920 owner here. The shifter's not an absolute must, even for driving manuals, at least in my opinion. However, once you get used to having it, going back to not using it is hard.

12. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

even for automatics you can configure it as a prindle

• Like Like x 1
  13. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

I just ordered a G920 and a shifter, I'll take your advice

• Like Like x 1
  14. Belvedere58

Belvedere58
    Expand Collapse

Thanks everyone. Is the clutch pedal worth it? Seems like it would be difficult to modulate without feedback of the takeup point, but maybe I'm overthinking.

15. Zero

Zero
    Expand Collapse

Clutch is definitely worth it, at least for it.
    But also, there's wheels in all kind of price ranges, so a budget would be nice.

But as a beginner/good budget wheel, get a G27 used if you can get a good deal. If it costs nearly as much as G920, get that.
    The two wheels doesn't have much changes on the inside, as far as I'm concerned.

I personally been having a G27 for many years, and I still love it.

16. SKB

SKB
    Expand Collapse

Definitely if you want more control.. I use an app on my phone that uses all g sensors, and joysticks on screen to give me analog control over everything. Even the handbrake.. im just about rich enough to not be able to get a good pc.. although, I am waiting for some parts:rolleyes:.. I digress.
    And, Beamngs Clutch simulation is one of the best. Almost every manual trans in the game has different clutch bite points, like how it should be, race trans have a veery low bite point, some covets have a veery high bite point.. and I can 'feel' that even using a mobile..
    You get used to it after a certain period of use.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice