1. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

This game has come a really, really long way.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lyndon123, Dec 28, 2020.

1. lyndon123

lyndon123
    Expand Collapse

Hello

I was thinking about this the other day: i have had this game since mid 2015 which is more than 5 years now. I actually got the game just before the first pessima update i think it was 0.4.0.6 or something like that. It was just a tech demo then. (It was actually @Insanegaz video showcasing a crusher that led me to this game. Then i watched jacksepticye play it.) the next update after that made vehicles invisible. I assumed it was my pc that was broken and got a refund for the game (i was an impatient moron then ). I later got the game again about a month later when the bug was patched.

I remember back then how poorly optimised the game was and running it on my first gen i3 Packard bell was horrible. However despite the lag, i like the so much i persevered. The game would constantly crash.

Today the game looks great and it runs really well. Even on old crappy computers.

I recon i have played this game over 4000 hours over the last 5 years. And i have consistently enjoyed it.

I wanna say thanks to the developers for this awesome game.

Lyndon

• Like Like x 3
  2. Notepad.exe

Notepad.exe
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

what a beautiful speech...

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

It is true... it has come a very long way over the years... when the game first came out, RoR was just starting to hit its stride in optimization, while when Beam came out, it was VERY unoptimized. I originally was running Beam on my MacBook Pro with a Core2Duo (dual core... and no hyperthreading... woooo) and I would get around 25 to 30 fps while in RoR I could get 100+

As time progressed, the game just got more and more optimized... by the time they made the switch to DirectX11 (the last update that I could run on my old MacBook) I was usually getting 55 to 60 fps on simpler maps... where as before I was only at about 25 to 30 on grid map.

Time kept on marching and the improvements kept coming... with more physics core speedups came more and more features that they could fit inside the larger calculation envelope... as remember... everything in this game is calculated at 2000Hz... which is just insane.

Nowadays darn near any computer can run this game... perhaps not the greatest when it comes to rendering, but with the physics, it is so optimized now that running multiple cars as "traffic" is now just a standard feature of the game that can STILL run inside the same performance window as we used to get with just 1 car. That, to me, is mindblowing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jakux

Jakux
    Expand Collapse

Beamng.drive is the most beautiful game I`ve played since I touched computer. Hats down, gentelmen!

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. FaceyDuck

FaceyDuck
    Expand Collapse

yes car can go boom boom

6. thenormz1n

thenormz1n
    Expand Collapse

my lenovo legion t5 can run this game at 144 fps at max settings with a gtx 1660 super i5-10400 16 gigs of ram AND with 5 other cars being used with traffic. pretty amazing

7. adamduf0ur

adamduf0ur
    Expand Collapse

Hello, I got this MacBook Pro as shown on the screenshot. How do you think Beam.ng will run ?

Attached Files:

• Capturedcran2021-01-09134055.png
  8. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

it won't unless you do some serious fiddling, BeamNG is not made to run on apple operating systems.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Lettice123

Lettice123
    Expand Collapse

I got it in 2016. It was verry simple back then (even though that seemed amazing to me then) its come along way and has improved loads since then. Whybeare inspired me to get the game lol.

10. lyndon123

lyndon123
    Expand Collapse

well yes, but actually no.

if you dual boot it with windows. it will definitely work. however, with macos, there is very little chance you will get it running properly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SquarebodyChevy

SquarebodyChevy
    Expand Collapse

I had this game since I think 2014. One of the first few versions, although I don’t remember exactly which one it was. I think I still have a copy of it on my old laptop, if that even works anymore. The default D15 was red, and the vehicle selector was a drop down menu with no pictures. It ran like a slideshow for me, but I liked it enough to keep playing. The only map that was somewhat usable was grid map. Now it is one of the only games that I still play. I still don’t have a really good computer, but it runs it good enough. It’s amazing how much it has improved since then, it’s like a whole different game.

12. FordKing

FordKing
    Expand Collapse

same

13. Lettice123

Lettice123
    Expand Collapse

14. HeadlightsThePerson

HeadlightsThePerson
    Expand Collapse

I discovered this game from watching GTA5 videos. I was just watching a playlist of crashes, and then I noticed that something was different. There was a Hummer crashing. I was like “There isn’t a Hummer in GTA 5?” I then look up what the game was. It was glorious! For the next 3 years, I wanted BeamNG. I watched it daily. Then, in August 2019, I bought it. It took 7 hours to download, but it was worth it. So far, I have 1,215 hours, which might increase as time goes on.

BeamNG is a wonderful game, and the devs have my respect for it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lettice123

Lettice123
    Expand Collapse

Lol. I got it from youtube videos. I loved it beacuse I was dead into cars and car crashes etc

16. Scotty Kilmer

Scotty Kilmer
    Expand Collapse

I found it because of WhyBeAre

17. Lettice123

Lettice123
    Expand Collapse

Same lol.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Scotty Kilmer

Scotty Kilmer
    Expand Collapse

I got it before Steam Release, and my data saved to steam, somehow.

19. Lettice123

Lettice123
    Expand Collapse

lol

20. HeadlightsThePerson

HeadlightsThePerson
    Expand Collapse

YBR was also a contributing factor to my love for Beam

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice