This scam is driving me up the wall

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by rottenfitzy, Sep 30, 2018.

?

Would this annoy you?

Poll closed Oct 7, 2018.
  1. Yes, extremely!

75.0%
  2. No. I’m the person behind it.

25.0%
  1. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

Whenever I go to a couple sites (carthrottle and jalopnik in particular) this godawful scam pops up. I have popups blocked, and it still happens. Any advice on how to fix this on an IOS device?

2. PriusRepellent

PriusRepellent
    Expand Collapse

Use an ad blocker. They exist for iOS now. Internet advertising has gotten so bad that its almost unusable without adblockers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

There are ads at Internet? Sounds horrible, I do remember seeing something really really long time ago, but then again it might of been just a scam to sell security software.

Security starts from choosing what is downloaded from the web page you visit, no browser is safe to use straight out of the box.

4. PriusRepellent

PriusRepellent
    Expand Collapse

I would not say that... there most likely are lesser known browsers geared up for that purpose. However, you're right about the mainstream ones.

5. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

There might be, don't know if there is though as haven't checked.

JS, flash, cookies etc. disabled by default, all requests outside of main domain denied by default, only allowed one by one and only by manual setting, not implementing 'easy' whitelists which contain ton of problematic sites.

Something along those lines is what I think, of course browser core needs to have some kind of hardening and any geo location things as well as safe browsing call home telemetries disabled.

I would need to fix my proxomitron which I use to filter html from unwanted stuff and to keep browser not to leak OS etc. to web sites.

It can be that my definition of safe is bit extreme.

It is said that Waterfox for example would be safe, but I don't know, I did not like how much it did leak and allowed to run straight out of the box.

I'm curious though what kind of secure option you know about, as there is so much out there that nobody knows all the options available.

6. rottenfitzy

rottenfitzy
    Expand Collapse

Forgot to post photo.... oops.

Attached Files:

• E22B9CDF-EDED-4788-8633-895BC46C28B7.jpeg
  7. Zorin-Ind.

Zorin-Ind.
    Expand Collapse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice