Tire Deformation

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by kruleworld, Jul 3, 2016.

1. kruleworld

kruleworld
    Expand Collapse

Another minor feature i'm looking forward to being added to this game is tire deformation. We all know tires bulge at the bottom where the weight of the vehicle presses on the tire. also when running into things, tires don't fly to pieces like in Beaming.

I've seen the effect in SpinTires and it's quite a cool addition, despite adding NOTHING to the game.

2. mumboking

mumboking
    Expand Collapse

Look closely. BeamNG.drive already has tyre deformation.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

The tires are simulated already, but they aren't as low pressure as the offroaders in spin tires so the effect isn't as noticeable.

4. kruleworld

kruleworld
    Expand Collapse

...**runs back and takes a look**...

nope, i don't see it. even with a "flat" tire it looks like it just clips into the ground. also it still has the 'pieces of cake' damage modelling.
    ver 0.5.6.1

5. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Is it there, and visible on those screenshots.
    The tire isn't clipping on the ground, it's deforming on it.
    The missing chunks in the 'mesh-breaking' (still WIP).

Maybe an example with a different tire texture and lower pressure on tires can help you see better the thing?

But then, tires by default have an 'optimal' pressure. They won't go completely 'mushy' by doing the smallest thing.
    As you are taking Spintires as example, in that game they seem to have a low-pressure as it's more suitable for the kind of terrain those vehicles have to go on.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Drivver

Drivver
    Expand Collapse

As nadeox1 said, tires are pretty hard and they will not deform a lot from little abuse. Easiest way to see this is taking dragster version of Moonhawk or Barstow, set relative camera to the side of car set slow-mo to 8-16 and take off with pedal to the metal :) Not only that tires deform while turning, overloading car, deflating pressure from them but also when you reach high speed wheels expands because of centrifugal forces - which obviously is realistic, and you don't see this happen in another games. I Explained it just a little bin here:
    http://www.beamng.com/threads/commu...ge-of-beamng-drive.1141/page-1178#post-393790

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice