Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by ParadoxShiba, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

You think I don’t know? You literally said this one went down the drain, stop pushing it further.

2. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

They could probably figure out how to take 6 or 7 textures and combine them together to make a Infinite number of textures tbh

3. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

Yes yes I know I know I’m not as stupid I was 1 day ago

• Like Like x 1
  4. khajaja

khajaja
    Expand Collapse

my god this thread

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Lol, and you posted 2 posts on here after this? Look, I'm sorry if I sound rude and I'm sorry if I pissed you off. I don't want to, but I think crashmaster makes a valid argument.

6. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

he's right, I said I don't want to be in this arguement anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Alright, you've made your point. Now, you can decide what you wanna do.

8. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

It seems you're under the impression that the most practical way to handle this is to make a texture for each element of damage (scrapes, dents, etc) on each car's body. This would be needlessly complicated, and would require some pretty serious layer blending to make it look right. The more practical solution is to use a single texture representing damage to the entire vehicle body, and selectively show it where necessary (a little bit like the editor's terrain painter). This would make much better use of resources. Yes, it's less of a simulation than your proposal, but as it's the same general technique as almost every other semi-current driving game iirc, I don't think most people would complain*.

While that could work, I'd recommend a general-purpose scratch map for each car, so you can capture the kinds of details you want (such as the material that's under the paint, or crevices in the body lines where the paint hasn't been as worn away). If you haven't already, I would recommend Substance Painter quite highly for this kind of job. It costs a pretty penny, but I believe it has a full-feature 30-day free trial available if you're looking to crank out a few quick mock-ups.

*Most being the operative word. We know how people can be:)

#128 Occam's Razer, Aug 2, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Slugfest

Slugfest
    Expand Collapse

So I think we've come to the conclusion that most people will be happy with a (not completely realistic) version based off 2-3 (or later 7-8) textures and that this can be done. Realism might come later, but people are happier with a little than nothing, so we should stop talking about how to make it perfect as what people want right now is "good enough". All in all, we've agreed on this, so let's not fight battles that are now beside the point. We should now dedicate ourselves to helping crashmaster implement his mod asap so it can be seen and improved... (unfortunately I have none of the modding experience needed for this :( , but some of you might :) )

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

Dont wanna hype anyone yet.
    But ive been testing stuff over the past week and thru trial and error i think im confident enough to say that i think ive figured the stuff out.
    upload_2020-8-3_14-13-52.png
    Not gonna go into technical details but i went thru a lot of trouble to get this working properly.
    It still needs a ton of tweaking and i only did the front of the hood for now to get a proof of it working properly and to learn how deformgroups trigger.
    this was a 10km/h crash.
    upload_2020-8-3_14-14-59.png
    but hopefully im gonna be able to finish this in the near future to give you guys something to scratch around with :p

I do have a question for the community tho.
    I do have to modify every vanilla files for the scratches to work, but if i were to upload this to the repo, how would you prefer it?
    Would you prefer having 2 different cars in the car selection, vanilla and one scratch-enabled, or all in the same vehicle with duplicate configs for the scratching.
    I was also thinking just skipping the repo for this one and simply releasing it as is on the forum as it overwrites the official files.

What are your thoughts on this?

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Actually looks quite good.

• Like Like x 2
  13. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

Smol update.
    Last post for today tho. dont wanna spam this thread.
    upload_2020-8-3_15-1-33.png

• Like Like x 3
  14. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

that looks amazing! just work on making the edges not so harsh so it blends with the body and itll be a complete game changer!

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. ParadoxShiba

ParadoxShiba
    Expand Collapse

#135 ParadoxShiba, Aug 3, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  16. fivedollarlamp

fivedollarlamp
    Expand Collapse

do you know how quotes work

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. ParadoxShiba

ParadoxShiba
    Expand Collapse

Deleted

#137 ParadoxShiba, Aug 3, 2020
  18. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

Noice

19. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

yeah im aware its a bit rough for now.
    But i got it working real good now.
    Im just gonna need to figure out how to separate the scratches group so it looks more natural, which im still really wondering how ill make it.
    If yall got some ideas/tutorials for realistic scratch making it would be a real help right about now lmao.
    Right now as ive said in the past im just using a texture i found from dirt showdown. it roughly looks like scratches but does the job and is also tileable which is what i need for something like this.

Now i also said i wouldnt spam but i got the fenders done :p
    upload_2020-8-3_15-51-26.png
    It does weird things but ive ended up dividing the fender into 9 different groups that can trigger independently.
    Front impacts will only scratch the front and so on.
    Thats my plan for the entire car. for now im just gonna make it all work, and then ill look into reworking the texture and maybe making a repo friendly mod in the process.

• Like Like x 6
  20. ParadoxShiba

ParadoxShiba
    Expand Collapse

Feel free to post your updates here. I could change the thread's name to something else like "Paint scratch proof of concept."

#140 ParadoxShiba, Aug 3, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice