Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by ParadoxShiba, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Bifdro

Bifdro
    Expand Collapse

Hello! Does this mod are available in alpha now? Or do you have any ETA? Btw, keep up this good work!

2. ParadoxShiba

ParadoxShiba
    Expand Collapse

It's not ready yet and probably won't be very soon since it is very hard to do, but it might be in alpha soon.

#162 ParadoxShiba, Sep 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bifdro

Bifdro
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! ;)

4. ParadoxShiba

ParadoxShiba
    Expand Collapse

No problem.

#164 ParadoxShiba, Sep 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  5. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

been a few weeks, process of working on a car for the first time took a while, rusty difficulties tends to happen on a 13 year old car lol. plus, it is my personal first time working with a car.
    I have been so busy in the past month i have barely been able to put out 5 hours of beamng in the past month.
    So for the moment modding is on hold.

But my car passed inspection and this week im gonna go finalize the paperwork. car is finally all good to go on a roadtrip! :D
    I ended up having to change 2 brake caliper because they were seized and a brake change on all 4 wheels. rotor+pads. But the rotors were pretty rusted and i ended up banging on the rotor hard enough to loosen a bearing so i had to get that changed as well.

It was a fun experience, and i think i found a new hobby, ive pretty much been playing games ever since i was a kid, i didnt have the chance to do much until now, this car got me a big push in the butt to get me to do something with my life sorta speak.

Ive been slowly getting tired of gaming, and after graduating college i just had to find myself something to do other then gaming,
    modding is still a fun hobby of mine and i want to get back into it, and honestly i was on track and actually working on mods every week and doing decent progress, i really was not expecting to buy a car this early on, but i saw a deal and i took it. so life took a turn in the past month that i was not really expecting.

This car honestly helped me move forward with my life. i may not be as active as i was, but i plan on modding some more as i do love it as well. im just slowly learning more skills that arent computer related for once.

I really appreciate your patience, i could release what ive got done right now for you to enjoy, but it is missing the roof and some other frame scratches. altho both sides are fully done, except the frame behind the front fender.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Deleted member 309054

Deleted member 309054
    Expand Collapse

Since you said you want to get back into modding, are you going to continue to work on this?

7. bluehawk360

bluehawk360
    Expand Collapse

That's Great! We all have to grow up sometime in one way or another. I was just wondering since this thread kinda died, even though we made some progress.
    It's up to you if you want to share the mod in it's current state. I know sharing mods in unfinished, or bad states can be a turn off for many people, but I don't think many people will complain about this type of mod.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ParadoxShiba

ParadoxShiba
    Expand Collapse

Sounds great!

#168 ParadoxShiba, Sep 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

Hey everyone.

So, there no new progress for now but.

I have some questions and id like to have some community feedback before "finishing up" the mod sorta speak.
    last time i worked on it it was to a point where almost all of the covet had scratches added on it. so before finishing it and noticing that ill need to redo most of it, i prefer knowing what needs to be done right away, since ive got a good baseline going on how to make scratches work now.
    But i did notice some people complaining about how it looks blocky and i do have to agree, but at the same time...

This mod has just been sitting in my folder in the past months and everytime i play with the covet i see some scratches and boi does it surprise me even with its blocky looks lmao.
    Everytime i play with the covet it kinda motivates me to finish this mod as its really fun and different seeing scratches on beamng cars for once.

But this is where the feedback im talking about would be really helpful :)

Im no pro at texturing and stuffs.
    How should i go about to make it less blocky?

this literally works the same way as windows breaking, except ive been cutting up the body and making 1 selected beam make the deformgroup/scratching appearing stuff for each box.
    upload_2020-11-30_8-49-41.png

What would be better but not ruin a seamless texture spreading across it all?
    I guess i could go and model each individual scratch and apply the texture manually on every inch of the car but if people wants me to make this for every beamng vehicle ( which id really wanna to tbh, scratches be lookin gud asf in this game. its looooong overdue) id need to have a more optimized way of doing it or else its gonna take me as much time as the devs would to release V1.0 lmao. by that time devs could be making scratches themselfs way more efficiently for all we know.

Question #2: PLASTIC
    Right now the texture is a chrome looking thing that makes it look as if the paint was removed, but for plastic, theres no shiny under the paint.
    Its usually some base color of white/black or whatever plastic they used.
    Should i go about and making a black scratch type texture to make the bumpers n plasticky stuff around the car? or just keep the chrome overlay as it currently is. (keep in mind im no good at making textures. if someone could pitch in a few hours of texture work with me this WILL result in a repo friendly mod. as of right now its using a dirt showdown texture and theres nothing getting around it really.)

Thanks for the patience. i know im not quick with modding. idk why but this year is really hard to get motivated to mod.

Times are complex with this covid going around.
    Hope yall are doing good even with these stressful times.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Maybe instead of squares use triangles, that will look less blocky. And I think for plastic just reuse the unpainted bumpres texture somehow, that will make sense.

• Like Like x 1
  11. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

i guess i could try to do some weird layer merging and make a nice black scratchy texture with that.

Ill have a try i guess haha

Also, Question i kinda forgot to mention but i also doubt ill get an answer as well simply because of the complexity of the deformgroups jbeam
    JBEAMS EXPERT HELP NEEDED lol.

With so many different block of scratch to deform with, its really inconsistent at times.
    not to mention that this is deform group stuff, it will only appear if the beam was deformed a little bit. so its not really friction based or anything, metal needs to bend.
    upload_2020-11-30_9-12-22.png
    From time to time ill get in major crashes, this is just one quick example just to get a picture out. if i get proper "BAD" results ill probably come around and post another pic to show what i really mean.

But im wondering if theres something that could be done to improve on the way they appear.
    Heres a bit of info on how the jbeam is done exactly.
    There is 9 different block in the rear quarter panel, with each their own individual beam with its own deform group.
    upload_2020-11-30_9-18-0.png upload_2020-11-30_9-17-50.png

If you look closely at the grey lines in the pic, you can notice that the lowest row of blocks arent using the lowest nodes of the chassis. Reason is, on side impacts even very hard ones the lowest scratch sections would not trigger. so id get even worse result.
    Its a weird thing honestly lmao. im trying to make this work with the best of my abilities but i didnt invent the jbeam and all this physics. its a difficult thing to get right...

all ive really done is tweak the deformationTriggerRatio a ton to get different results but most of the scratches end up being in the 0.01 and 0.001 whatever lowest numbers seems to work best, but im wondering if theres some other thing that i could do to improve the way it works.
    Idk if theres some more other way that i could approach this to make it work better given what we currently have.

Or if someone with lua skills wanna whip up some weird complex layer system that detects friction and apply a transparency where its due, yaknow anything that could get it working. :rolleyes: (one can dream about it at least lmao)

• Like Like x 2
  12. killercreeper42

killercreeper42
    Expand Collapse

As much as I want to help with the textures I am really only good a pixel art and I'd imagine pixely scratch marks wouldn't look good on a normal car. In terms of the plastic I would definitely recommend using a separate texture for that rather than using the chrome one.

13. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

Bare car bodies are not chrome. They are a more matte gunmetal kind of look.

14. SuperShep1

SuperShep1
    Expand Collapse

i remember back in the days of ror, gabester made some sort of fullsize car with scratches, I remember and it was one of my favorite mods. Maybe you could ask gabester how he did it or maybe change the code (im not a coder so idk what its called) to work with beamng o_O
    Anyway, im really excited for this

15. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

As far as i know this works in beamng literally the same way it used to work for ror.

yeah.... now that i think about it tho...
    I say chrome cuz thats what ive been seeing.
    but i think getting the texture to show properly would help lol. In-game its chrome but the png itself has some grey colors on it instead of just flat out chrome....
    upload_2020-11-30_13-40-19.png

Anyone has an idea on what im doing wrong with the material this time lol?
    Im bad at materials, i can get a base diffuse image working usually but this mofo has alpha transparency on it n some extra stuff i need to do which idk.
    If anyone knows materials a bit, heres my material.cs for the scratch.
    Its probably very visible for those who knows how materials.cs works. but im rusty asf and never really got my head around how the material all works together...
    upload_2020-11-30_13-45-24.png
    Its a lot of trial and error and from my experience i need to restart beamng and clear cache everytime i change something in the materials so i usually dont touch materials until its THAT time.

well, scale the pixel art x5 and you get about the same res im playing with right now lmaoo.
    its a 256*256 image right now.
    upload_2020-11-30_13-17-32.png
    Up close it looks awful but from far its not thaaat bad.

On another note....
    I tried ai upscalling...
    Ill let this picture speak for itself....
    upload_2020-11-30_13-42-1.png

• Like Like x 3
  16. FordKing

FordKing
    Expand Collapse

More like this
    upload_2020-11-30_14-30-8.jpeg
    Its only if its a bad scrach it gets to bare metal

• Agree Agree x 6
  17. Jer

Jer
    Expand Collapse

if no scratches, can we ATLEAST get some dirt on our D15 when we go mud bogging?

18. Slugfest

Slugfest
    Expand Collapse

I would advise at least reading the last page - we came to the conclusion that we are moving forward with aesthetic scratches that can be triggered by slight deformation. So there will be scratches. What you are asking for would require a different system, to detect what is being driven on, and add textures that way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Jer

Jer
    Expand Collapse

20. Republican Cat

Republican Cat
    Expand Collapse

I'd think to go about it with rather than a pre-coded type thing, more of a system the way cars deform in BeamNG.drive. Maybe approach it from an angle of the way tire marks work, but make that work with different textures, and only applied to the car metal. I think that they have the car metal as a separate material compared to the plastic, so you could apply a different texture for that. That's all I got, I really don't know about it. I've never checked out any of the code from the "beamteam" as I like to call em!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice