1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Too many Automation mods

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SuperAusten64, Oct 23, 2019.

1. SuperAusten64

SuperAusten64
    Expand Collapse

I don't mean to be rude, but I think there are just way too many Automation vehicles clogging up the mods page. As I write this post, there are 4,808 Automation vehicles, which is 1,883 more than every other type of mod combined.

It's easy to understand why, of course. They're way easier to make than any actual mod, so of course more people would be making them. What infuriates me is when I'm looking for specific mods on the forums, the results are filled with Automation vehicles. For example, if I search "Ford" on the forums, 90% of the results are Automation vehicles, mostly of dubious quality.

This makes actual vehicle mods (and granted, there are like 2 that exist in this example) very hard to find.

In the mod manager, this problem is solved: Automation vehicles are given their own tab, and even better, there is the option to filter out specific mod types without being limited to one type. I just wish these two solutions would be implemented on the forums as well.

Any rebuttals to or opinions on this argument are welcome.

#1 SuperAusten64, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 10
  2. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

theres got to be at least 50 accounts with over 30 mods posted and the don't even have a single message

automation=cancer

• Agree Agree x 8
  3. SuperAusten64

SuperAusten64
    Expand Collapse

I would also like to point out that ever since the Automation update, the New Resources sidebar/column is virtually useless. Case in point:

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. iplaybeam

iplaybeam
    Expand Collapse

Also the threads is starting to have Automation Packs postings...

5. Kueso

Kueso
    Expand Collapse

because of the nature of automation, there will be shiity cars.
    we cant avoid it. I do think we can do something about it.
    Automation cars posted to the repo will have a shelf-life, unless they surpass 2K downloads. (30 days?)
    This insures good ones will be left up, and will re-instate actual interest in the automation category of the repo, then good cars have a higher chance of being recognized for what they are.
    Also people who dont want their cars possibly discarded after the shelf life is reached and they dont have 2K downloads, they can post them on the forums.
    'but what if they just re-upload it after 30 days has been reached?' Well, little Timmy, humans dont work like that. I highly even doubt the creator will even notice for a long time, and if/when he does, he will think 'oh, this got like 50 downloads, maybe i should make it better OR not upload it again.'
    Or he will just upload it again either way, but this system should seriously discourage that behavior
    and yeah that needs to be dealt with pronto

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Zero

Zero
    Expand Collapse

Just look the other way.

7. OldSnake

OldSnake
    Expand Collapse

new ressources section is full of automation shit, it's boring...

8. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

Speaking of milking the everloving crap out of things, there's people that are an active community member that went from 2 mods to 116

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

That's a non-issue.
    You can filter your search to only a specific category.
    First select the category, and in the Search Tool, you should see the dedicated button:

Same applies for the forum.

As for the 'New Resource' mini-box, I recall it's not possible to hide that (what we wanted to do since the beginning), since it implies risky and nasty changes to the forum. Maybe it changed with some forum updates, we need to check. EDIT: Yes, it's now possible, voilĂ .

To the others above, please understand the nature of the Automation vehicle. One is vehicles script generated in seconds, while the other type of vehicles are usually hand-made in span of months.
    Do me a favor and don't just go on blind-hating. If it's not among your preferences, you can simply skip them, and let others enjoy them :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. fivedollarlamp

fivedollarlamp
    Expand Collapse

Wait, what? the new resources section was removed?
    The thing is, we want to ignore mods we don't want to use. The forum's structure makes that difficult.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Forum software does not allow this. Either have it, or not.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Well at least this issue has been resolved I think for now and also has the new release tab been removed for some reason?

@Nadeox1 How will you keep an eye on the new mod updates if you dont have that new release tab there, I am just asking

13. Srockzz

Srockzz
    Expand Collapse

Automation cars need some level of moderation. 90% of the cars there are low effort things put together in a few minutes. Its concerning how Automation mods with less than 100 downloads make up more than 60% of the repo.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  14. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I agree with you on this, I mean I have 7 mods up myself and they are of reasonable effort but yeah, 90% are total crap and people out there are spamming them up to get them up, I feel if that happens you need to be limited in the amount of uploads you can do

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Ok, see this confuses me... when I click on the mod page.... I am not shown a single automation mod until I physically go and select automation mods. That is the only way I can get them to show up in any shape or form. Is this not the same for everyone else?

16. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I suspect that page is for actual mods that do create good work rather than the Automation tab which requires a full on bunny suit and a gas mask to venture into once you click it

17. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

You click the 'Mods' page, like most people were already doing.

Automation mods are not visible in the main view, only if you click their category.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Yeah figures and thanks for getting back so quickly :)

19. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

I don't see the issue. Yeah some of those Automation cars are pretty bad but it's not a problem, it's not like they're stopping hand-made mods from existing. Also, I don't know about you guys but my "Mods" tab doesn't show a single Automation mod by default.

Like Nadeox said, this is really a non-problem...

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

There straight up shouldn't be a repo for Automation.
    I can't imagine it's good for the forum's performance and you can literally just send the .zip over PM or other sites.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice