Torquecurve Explanation

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Joshua Hixon, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Joshua Hixon

Joshua Hixon
    Expand Collapse

I have a few questions about making a torquecurve. At the moment, I just randomly change numbers and hope that it eventually gets the correct power and torque. What unit of measurement is it in if any? And how do I change the curve for power?

• Like Like x 1
  2. TheCrySick

TheCrySick
    Expand Collapse

Hi :)
    This actually quite easy, just give me some times to prepare a clean answer! :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheCrySick

TheCrySick
    Expand Collapse

In BeamNG, the power is expressed in hp, and the torque is expressed in Nm. So, the numbers you can edit in the engine JBEAM are the torque values, and they are expressed in Nm.

But those values are the theorical torque, you need to take 2 things in consideration to obtain the estimated torque: the friction (in Nm) and the dynamic friction (in Nm / Rad/s). You can find them in the engine JBEAM, just under the torque numbers. You need to subtract those 2 values from the theorical torque to estimate the real torque of the engine. The dynamic friction is impacted by the rpm, and 1 Rad/s = 9.55 rpm. So, you can calculate the estimated real torque like this: estimated torque = theorical torque - friction - [(rpm/9.55) * dynamic friction]

The estimated power of the engine (in hp) depend of the torque and the rpm. You can do this simple calculation: estimated power = (estimated torque * rpm)/7000

If you want to build a torque curve, you need to estimate the torque and the power at various rpm. (for example: 0 / 500 / 1000 / !500 / 2000 / 3000 / … rpm)

As an example, I will use a 5.9L v12 engine built with Automation. This engine produces a torque of 592Nm at 7100rpm, 639hp at 8500rpm, and the max rpm is 9400.

When I look in the engine JBEAM, I can find the theorical torque numbers, the friction (around 28Nm) and the dynamic friction (around 0.09Nm / Rad/s). So, I have all I need to build the torque and power curve. I have already built the estimated curves, so I will only show you the calculations for the max torque and the max power.
    • The max torque is reached at 7000rpm, the theorical torque at this rpm is 696Nm, so, estimated torque = 696 - 28 - [(7000/9.55) * 0.09] = 596Nm
    • The max power is reached at 9000rpm, the estimated torque at this rpm is 486Nm, so estimated power = (486 * 9000) / 7000 = 953hp
    The estimations say that this engine should have a torque of 596Nm at 7000rpm, and 655hp at 9000rpm, which is quite close to the real specs of this engine. Even if it’s not perfect for the power produced at high rpm, this method can give you a decent estimation of the torque and power curves you will get if you edit the theorical torque numbers.

That’s all for the theorical explanations. Now, it’s time for the application! I will keep using the same v12 engine :)
    a. Open the JBEAM file of your engine
    b. Open this google sheet file: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eSDHPUit3WpuAt5KG9lBUMu0WswVHIuFqNcqOSfV0S4/edit?usp=sharing

c. Locate the max rpm, the friction, and the dynamic friction in the JBEAM file of your engine. They can be found just under the torque numbers:

d. Copy those number, and add them in their place in the google sheet:

e. Sort rpm values in ascending order:
    and
    f. Enter the torque numbers of your choice in the ‘’theorical torque’’ column. The google sheet will do all the calculation, and will show you the estimated torque and power curves:

g. You need to be sure that the max power is reached before the redline
    h. If you are happy with those curves, then replace the torque numbers of your JBEAM with the theorical numbers of your choice​

That's all, I hope I am clear :p

#3 TheCrySick, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
  4. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

This will be useful for me too, it's not me who asked but thanks! Also I have a question, what exactly does engine intertia do in the game and what is the unit of it?

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheCrySick

TheCrySick
    Expand Collapse

Inertia defines the speed at which rpm will increase or decrease. The higher the inertia is, the slower the rpm changes ;)
    Edit: inertia doesn't have any unit :p

#5 TheCrySick, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Thanks! Now I think I finally get how engines work in the game!

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheCrySick

TheCrySick
    Expand Collapse

You are welcome! :)

8. TheCrySick

TheCrySick
    Expand Collapse

I haven't seen that the Google sheet was locked for other users... My bad, it's fixed now ^^'

9. GyBarna

GyBarna
    Expand Collapse

Hi, can you help me? I did everything, what you had write, but my courves are not good. I made for the ibishu pessima an exist engine (it exist in the real life, and I have the Torque and power courves).
    When I put this numbers in your excel it is perfect, all the values are the same, like the ,,real life values", but in BeamNg there are 15-20 less. What can cause the problem, i can not solve.
    I appreciate for your help.
    upload_2022-2-2_22-29-54.png
    upload_2022-2-2_22-31-18.png

10. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

It's realistic that they are lower because the exhaust lowers the torque by restructing the airflow out of the engine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. GyBarna

GyBarna
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your help, and how should I modify the excel, what should I add, that the 192 hp will be 192 wheelie horsepower, not less?

12. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Chech how restrictive the exhaust is in its Jbeam

13. Reece Coates

Reece Coates
    Expand Collapse

14. Jackets64

Jackets64
    Expand Collapse

#14 Jackets64, Feb 10, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice