Trackparts like in Trackmania?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by B. Tanner, Dec 10, 2017.

1. B. Tanner

B. Tanner
    Expand Collapse

Hi there,

i had the idea to make different trackparts like in Trackmania. With them i could smash together tracks with ease for little challenges with my friends.
    The thing is i have no knowledge in trackmaking or modmaking whatsoever. I tried to do some research but since i really dont know what i'm looking for i havent found an answer yet.

Dont get me wrong i dont want you to do the research for me. But I'm sure here are some people with enough knowledge to point out some major flaws of my idea if there are any.

So what i want to do is to make +-20 trackparts like jumps, different turns, straights, a looping etc.
    With that i imagine to place those parts together in blender or the trackeditor to make little tracks.
    What i guess is that it isnt possibly to make huge tracks with a ton of parts because of the meshsize(?). But maybe little tracks with a lenght of ~1km?

So what do you think?
    Impossible because of XYZ.
    Possible but not with my skillset.
    Just try it out it may work.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Taza

Taza
    Expand Collapse

Very much possible. Someone just needs to create some 10x10m or 5x5m blocks that can be used for a map and then they can be used in the map editor.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. RyvyLo

RyvyLo
    Expand Collapse

Can confirm, I think it would even be possible to do this as an introduction to modding. As a proof, someone did some modular roads a long time ago : https://beamng.com/threads/modular-mesh-roads-pack-v-0-1.6814/

I think the most important part is planning what pieces to make, and to keep them simple since you don't have any experience with modding. The key is patience and perseverance.
    Also it would be better to create the parts in blender and to export them separately, then assemble the tracks in the map editor. And don't worry, I don't think you'll be limited by the mesh size. You can import very big meshes in the game (see the props I used in my Mazes mods), and I think the object limit in-game is big enough, it can support whole forests after all, so a few parts won't hurt it too much. And if you keep the parts simple and optimized, that won't be a problem at all.

4. B. Tanner

B. Tanner
    Expand Collapse

Sweet, thanks for your answers. Seems like i can do some modding. <3

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice