Transmission farts

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Señor Krill, Aug 28, 2019.

?

Should there be more fart sound variants

Poll closed Oct 28, 2019.
  1. Yes

76.5%
  2. No

23.5%
  1. Señor Krill

Señor Krill
    Expand Collapse

This is only my opinion, but I think the DCT and seq gearboxes should have random variants of a fart, I am willing to provide some from a RS3.
    Remember only a opinion/idea. The farts now work great.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Superchu Frostbite

Superchu Frostbite
    Expand Collapse

Am I just missing a joke here? This sounds like a very unimmersive change for the devs to make. Tell me, What exactly is the purpose of a transmission 'fart'? Do the transmissions in the game fart currently? How can I access this undocumeted feature?

3. Kueso

Kueso
    Expand Collapse

DCT thunderclaps is the better term.
    or sequential thunderclaps, they both use the same sound.
    when a transmission of the two types mentioned make a hard shift (normally under acceleration) they emit a sort of 'fart'
    video:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

So kind of like those wonderful pops & crackles cable-throttle cars used to make when letting off the gas at high RPM, but all fakey and stupid?

5. Kueso

Kueso
    Expand Collapse

well
    no
    because these are caused by the transmission- not the actual engine

6. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

something about shifting under load causes it, the way spark is cut instantly while shifting to reduce transmission/clutch wear, and then reapplied a split-second later (since DCT and sequential gearboxes can shift very very fast). basically like when you turn your lawnmower off, immediately start it again, and it afterfires from the last trickle of fuel in the exhaust.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Oh. I thought they got that sound by dumping a small amount of fuel into the exhaust during an upshift to try to fake the sound that engines used to make naturally. Pretty sure there was at least one Audi that did that.

8. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

SebastianJDM has is... essentially what is going on here is that the engine is cutting power to bring the RPM's down faster and allow for quicker gear changes. Basically it allows you to keep the throttle matted AND have superfast, jerkless shifts (or as close as we can get right now) by cutting the timing during a gear change to drop the RPM's as fast as possible. This leaves excessive fuel in the exhaust, so once the next gear is engaged, the ignition starts back up again and bam... everything in the exhaust is ignited along with it creating that "burp" or "fart" or whatever you want to call it.... it's basically a controlled afterfire.

9. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

i prefer "snort". it's more accurate and less childish.

and to the OP, what's the suggestion here? did i miss something, because this is already in the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Kueso

Kueso
    Expand Collapse

what he said
    --- Post updated ---
    two things:
    he wants more variation from transmission to transmission or just more variation in the sounds
    and you can call them thunderclaps too. Its what i call them.

11. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

I like the idea now that i heard the explanation. And does these farts happen due to the engine quickly ignition cutting or is it some grinding from the gears during quick shifting?

12. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Its exclusively from the ignition cut... it actually has nothing to do with the transmission at all... if you programed the computer to do it for a normal automatic or a stickshift you would get the exact same effect... only since the shifts are much slower... it would would probably sound more like a shotgun going off once the engine fires back up again due to the extra fuel.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

The idea is to get the engine rpm down as quickly as possible so whatever clutch device sits in the drivetrain sees less strain when shifting.
    In modern production cars ignition cut is not usually what they do, instead they massively delay the ignition so the combustion still happens during the exhaust stroke.
    The bangs don't really happen due to fuel in the exhaust but rather the combustion just partially happening outside the cylinder (same effect really though)
    The reason it's done this way is that the combustion is still somewhat controllable compared to just having unburned fuel in the exhaust.

Race cars do sometimes just cut ignition though. But with race cars there's really nothing that doesn't exist :D

• Informative Informative x 4
  14. fivedollarlamp

fivedollarlamp
    Expand Collapse

I feel like this would suit the Sunburst RS perfectly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. KrukasKlep

KrukasKlep
    Expand Collapse

If they would add this some Gurgle exhaust sounds would also be nice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Ahh... I just thought it was a full ignition cut as that's how one of my friends used to set up their drag car (although I guess that was closer to a twostep at every shift then just controlling rpm's). His idea was basically when the car hit his predetermined redline (which he set just past peek power) the ignition would cut allowing him to shift out of gear and into the next gear without using the clutch or taking his foot off the gas (if he yanked on the stick fast enough anyways). I always thought he was nuts until I started seeing it show up on these modern cars and just assumed they were doing the same kind of trick.

Incase anyone is curious... that car's transmission did end up exploding at one point as he missed a shift and the ignition timing he set up thought he made it... It also blew a hole in 2 different exhausts... needless to say de doesn't do that anymore.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

Full ignition cuts i think its done because they dont mind unburnt fuel in the exhaust. Not like they have to worry about emissions.

I also agree with this. Any sound coming out of the exhaust of a vehicle is usually a big plus for me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice