1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Transmission Mod - Customizable Automatic Transmissions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zschmeez, Dec 22, 2017.

Tags:
?

Should I allow users to customize the gear ratios in the transmissions?

1. Yes, make them customizable.

22 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No, use fixed gear ratios.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. zschmeez

zschmeez
    Expand Collapse

Hello. Lately, I've been working on several transmission mods, and I have a question about a feature I may or may not include in my future mods.

I discovered a way to be able to customize the gear ratios of an automatic transmission through the vehicle tuning menu. If implemented, this will allow people to fine tune the ratios used by the transmission. This feature is present in the game's race manual transmissions, but as far as I know, it is not present in any automatic transmissions. This feature is not difficult to add, but I'm curious if anyone would actually use it. Please let me know what you think.

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Have you thought about different shift points that different ratios will probably need, would it work without adjusting shifting points?

3. zschmeez

zschmeez
    Expand Collapse

I have it set up in a way where the game uses its intelligent shift logic in order to figure out shift points. It would still be possible to break it, but that's the same for the game's own race transmissions, so I don't think it would be a big deal.

4. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

Isn't there already customizable automatic transmissions in BeamNG?

But anyway, looks like another mod i would download and install.

5. zschmeez

zschmeez
    Expand Collapse

I would just be including it as a feature in all my future transmission mods. It'll be there for the people who want to use it, and for the people who don't want to customize their transmission, I'll set default values that work just fine.

6. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

OK, sounds great! Is the transmission JUST For the burnside or for other vehicles?

7. zschmeez

zschmeez
    Expand Collapse

I'm making mods for most of the stock vehicles. I'll be releasing them over the next couple of weeks, so I don't flood the forums.

So far, I've written mods for:
    • Barstow
    • Burnside
    • Moonhawk
    • 200BX
    • Pessima (new)
    • Pessima (old)
    • Covet
    • ETK I-Series
    • Miramar
    • LeGran
    • Sunburst
    • Grand Marshall
    • Hopper

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

"intelligent shift logic" please enlighten, i love toying around with the drivetrain code in Beam.

9. zschmeez

zschmeez
    Expand Collapse

Inside the engine Jbeam, under transmissions, there's a section for "vehicleController."
    Code:
        "vehicleController": {
            "automaticModes":"PRND21",
            "useSmartAggressionCalculation":true,
            "calculateOptimalLoadShiftPoints": true,
            "transmissionGearChangeDelay":1.5
            "gearboxDecisionSmoothingUp":0.5
            "gearboxDecisionSmoothingDown":0.5
            "lowShiftDownRPM":1200,
            "lowShiftUpRPM":[0,0,2400,2200,2000,1800,1600]
            //"highShiftDownRPM":3300,
    The "intelligent shift logic" refers to these two specific lines, which allow the game to dynamically adjust the shift points.
    Code:
            "useSmartAggressionCalculation":true,
            "calculateOptimalLoadShiftPoints": true,
    Some transmissions lack this by default, but if you add these lines and set the values to "true," then the game will intelligently adjust the shifting based on your throttle inputs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

^^^ Adaptive transmission, you drive hard, it shifts higher, you cruise slow and it shifts lower.

Modern cars have such, in older cars it is bit out of place.

Adjust aggression up and aggression down to higher value to reduce shifting 'LAG' that feature creates, it's bit annoying when lifting up throttle it can take 3 seconds for box to shift down in some vanilla cars, kick down takes also time to happen. It is great in etk800 and so, but not so sure in H-series or D-series and definitely not good in Barstow and Moonhawk as those should have stupid boxes, however this adaptive feature can be used to have a kickdown by setting those aggression up and down so that aggression changes faster.

Then there was that delay parameter, I think I did set that quite low, but haven't really bothered to learn that parameter's effect yet.

I set also wheelslip parameter to something like 60000, to get box shift while wheels spinning, because that is what old boxes do, but haven't figured out yet how to allow shifting while wheels are not on ground, that feels bit arcade feature.

11. zschmeez

zschmeez
    Expand Collapse

I've discovered that the smart aggression logic is only really necessary in transmissions with 6 or more speeds. In 4 speed autos, I'm leaving it out.

#11 zschmeez, Dec 25, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice