Trying to create my own mods, can't even correctly load a cube !

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Bouquaquay, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Bouquaquay

Bouquaquay
    Expand Collapse

Hello everyone,

I've been playing beamng for a while and I thought it was time I try to make my own vehicules.

I'm following the introduction to vehicule creation tutorial (https://wiki.beamng.com/Introduction_to_Vehicle_Creation) but I can't manage to load a simple cube in game with the texture. I'm not even trying to have some hydros or engine, just to load a simple cube correctly in the game.

I've spend quite some time and I don't know what I'm missing.
    The files I generated are in the zip.

I would really enjoy a helping hand !

If you need other informations, I'll be glad to answer, and thanks in advance :)

Have a nice day,

Benjamin

Attached Files:

2. HDR

HDR
    Expand Collapse

Your file structure is incorrect, it should be

vehicles/name/fileshere

Edit: i've attached a fixed version, where i also modified the model and the jbeam.

Your jbeam wasn't going to work as is and was throwing errors, i removed duplicate beams, and moved some nodes to fit the mesh.

I changed the names in your model to be consistent, and applied Location, Rotation & Scale.

Attached Files:

#2 HDR, Sep 9, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  3. Bouquaquay

Bouquaquay
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

Thank you for your reply!

I actually got the folders names correct, I zipped only the files without the other folders ^^

"Your jbeam wasn't going to work as is and was throwing errors" : Where do you see that the jbeam file is throwing errors. I've been looking for a console or something like that to debug but I can't find anything. I found the debug in beamng but it wasn't too helpful ( or at least, I don't know what to look at in it).

"i removed duplicate beams" : I'm new to Blender, any tips on how to make sure that there is no duplicated beams ( expect using Ctrl+F in the exported jbeam file ) ? [Edit] : I just found that the exporter plugin had this options enabled : Diagonal quadface and Edges from faces which cause the duplication of some beams.

"and moved some nodes to fit the mesh" : I'm not really sure what you mean. I don't know if you can explain it (Sorry I'm totally new, it's not super intuitive for me :/ )
    In the, it says we had to move the models and the mesh (in object mode) above the x/y plan as if it had wheels.
    So the mesh and model needs to be "lifted" above x/y plan by the same amount ? (Is this what I got wrong ? )
    [Edit] : I created a new mesh and a new model (duplicate for the mesh in blender) and i could get it working in Beam NG.

"and applied Location, Rotation & Scale." : I thought I did this before the export in .dae, what's the purpose of this ? [Edit ]: I thkin that I must have skip a step since it's now working for my new model.

[EDIT] : Do all the nodes from the mesh have to have a corresponding node on the model ?

I know it's a lot of questions ! Thank you for your help !

Benjamin

#3 Bouquaquay, Sep 9, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Kinda like this, you have vertexes in mesh and nodes in jbeam, which are tied together, when node moves that vertex closest to node will also move, more or less.
    upload_2018-9-9_16-46-51.png

Now if you have more or equal amount of nodes than you have vertices, there can be spiking and generally worse looking deformation.

For that you set node group and that node group is what attaches mesh to specific nodes.

upload_2018-9-9_16-49-58.png

Nodegroups allows you to use only few nodes to bind mesh to your node beam structure and can help a lot with spiking if you model is very low poly and if you have more detailed node beam structure.

Then also if your mesh is very high poly, then one node can't move enough vertices to have it look nice, so there is issues that way too.

Generally less nodes than there are vertices, not sure about ratio, but if you look official models and especially pay attention to node groups in them, that might help up with coming to some general idea what kind of node / vertex ratios could work well.

5. HDR

HDR
    Expand Collapse

The console should tell you about errors (They will show up in red once you spawn in your cube) , the default keybind for that is "` (tilde) ", it will also show warnings about stuff that isn't critical (like duplicate beams), so i suggest using this to figure out any issues you're experiencing.

6. Bouquaquay

Bouquaquay
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answers.

I'm starting to get the grasp of it.

I succesfully loaded my first ( very ugly, but still ! ) mod in game !

Again, thanks for your answers !

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice