Tutorial Confusion - Model not showing up?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Richard, May 4, 2016.

1. Richard

Richard
    Expand Collapse

This post has been solved

So I've made a simple cube jbeam based off of this tutorial here http://wiki.beamng.com/Introduction_to_Vehicle_Creation but I can't seem to get the model to show up in-game. I'm confused about the flexbodies portion of code, and this is what I had put down;

"flexbodies": [
    ["mesh", "[group]:", "nonFlexMaterials"],
    ["cube_body", ["cube_body_g"]],
    ],

See, I'm not sure what each parameter means, as the tutorial confuses me at this point, and says the "first parameter" is the model name, well in every code I see, the first parameter always says "mesh"..... The name of my model is "cube.dae", and I even put just "cube" where "cube_body" is at the moment. From what I understand, "cube_body_g" is the grouping, which I have the grouping down, but I'm just so confused as to why the model won't show up in the different variations I've tried. I also have an issue where when i press the "R" key to reset the cube, it crashes the game sometimes, but not often, but as of now the crashing isn't really my biggest concern, I just wish to get my model over my jbeam in-game.

Thanks!
    ~Richard

#1 Richard, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  2. synsol

synsol
    Expand Collapse
    QA Lead
    BeamNG Team

Hi ,
    About the name you had to put on the "mesh" parameter , it's the name of your cube, on blender it's this for the default cube : cube.jpg

About the crash , it's actually a bug when there are an error in jbeam (like a coma missing)

I hope this help you a little !

3. Richard

Richard
    Expand Collapse

I changed it around to the name you had shown, for the parameter before "cube_body_g", and it still didn't show the model.. I tried changing "mesh" to "cube" as well, but that just made it so the jbeam structure wouldn't show up.

"flexbodies": [
    ["mesh", "[group]:", "nonFlexMaterials"],
    ["Cube", ["cube_body_g"]],
    ],

So yeah, still stuck :/

4. mumboking

mumboking
    Expand Collapse

The name MUST match the one in the DAE exactly. e.g: If the object in the DAE is called "EXamPLe", then the name in the jbeam must be "EXamPLe" and not "EXAMPLE".

5. Richard

Richard
    Expand Collapse

I had done so :( I just can't get it to work.. I guess I'll keep trying randomly throughout time and eventually figure it out

6. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

The object MUST have at least 1 material applied. If it has no material, it won't appear.

If it has that,
    Could you send the files?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Richard

Richard
    Expand Collapse

Ohhhhh! Thank you so much man that clears everything up, it used to not require such. Thanks again man I'm good now.

8. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

AFAIK, the game engine always required at least 1 material, or the object will not appear.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Richard

Richard
    Expand Collapse

Oh, well I'm no longer able to add in static shapes to where they're visible without texturing unlike I used to, which is why I assumed it used to not for vehicles as well, because I remember the orange missing texture stuff showing up. Eh, I don't know anymore lol but thanks man.

10. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

The orange thing happened when you had a material with textures, but the game couldn't actually find any textures to load.

What I'm saying is the actual material.
    If you make a mesh and you don't assign any material (not talking about textures), it wont appear :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Deleted member 108842

Deleted member 108842
    Expand Collapse

Hello, apologies for "bumping" a somewhat old thread. I have a follow-up question to what you just said, and rather than create a whole new thread, I thought I'd post a reply to this one and try and get it solved here instead; I hope this is okay.

Ok, so I'm using ThreeDTech21's "Putting your car into BeamNG" V2.0 tutorial. Instead of using the fullsize for this project, I'm using the Moonhawk. I've gotten step 4 done (renaming the car parts in Blender), and I've temporarily stopped there. My goal is to take off the Moonhawk body parts, (which I've already done) and keep the interior and chassis. Then I want to create a simple 1970 Dodge Challenger body, not too detailed, but enough to resemble the real car - and put that on the Moonhawk interior/chassis. So far there is a part I don't understand, (this is where my question relates to this thread) which I don't see an explanation of in the tutorial - when creating new meshes which will become the new body parts, how do I make the new body parts have the same material as the original body parts? I'll add screenshots to help visualize what I'm trying to say.

Image1forForumMaterialQuestion.png Image2forForumMaterialQuestion.png

12. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

From there.
    Select the 'moonhawk' material (if you imported the 'moonhawk.dae', you should see all its materials aswell).
    Or just rename the material 'moonhawk' (or whatever material you need)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Deleted member 108842

Deleted member 108842
    Expand Collapse

Ok, thanks a bunch! That helped, as I currently rank myself as a noob in modmaking. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice