1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Two World Editor Change Files Occupying the Map/Level folder simultaneously?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by B3_Burner, Jul 26, 2019.

1. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

Until now, I'd not even experimented with this... as it hadn't crossed my mind to do so. If I wanted to make a set of changes, and then make a 2nd completely different set of changes, I would remove the first folder and hide it somewhere in a "hide folder" of my making, to make room for the second folder existence without any risk of content clashes.

So I thought... let me try making two simple variations of something that's simple and fairly obvious to discern the difference immediately.

In both cases I'm working with the East Coast, USA map. In the first Word Editor Edit, I've taken the sun and moved it to an axis tilt of -60 degrees... putting the sun deep and low in the southern sky. I saved the changes, and it appeared as a pack of assorted file and folders in my:
    'docs/beamng/levels/east_coast_usa/[main folder] + [-60 axis.ter file] + [-60 axis.terrain.json file]'

Then (without removing or hiding the first folder) I created the polar opposite condition by reopening the game to the same East Coast map, opening the World Editor again, but this time moving the axis tilt to +60 degrees... putting the sun deep and low in the northern sky. I saved the changes, and it appeared as a pack of assorted files and folders in my:
    'docs/beamng/levels/east_coast_usa/[main folder]' but now with '[+60 axis.ter file] + [+60 axis.terrain.json file]'
    added, so that there are now 4 files sitting at the bottom-- 2 for the north shining sun, and 2 for the south shining sun.

My thought was one of two things... either:

1. One will cancel the other out.
    Or less likely...
    2. There will be two suns in the sky... one to the north, the other to the south.

Well as it turned out, the north sun won out. In the accompanying picture you can see the stock Gavril pickup parked facing southeast at the East Coast gas station. The sun shining low and casting light from behind and slightly to the left of the pickup, is a dead giveaway that the northerly sun won out over the southerly sun.
    WorldEditordualfiletest.jpg

My questions is why, and how does the game select which criteria-edit will win out, if both sets of files are left to sit in the level folder simultaneously? Notice the time stamps in my folder and you will see that the north facing sun (with the +60 axis tilt) is the newer file at 4:20pm (the -60 axis tilt items having been made just 3 minutes earlier at 4:17pm.

1. Is which file is the newest the only criteria in determining which edit set will win out?

2. Does this mean that I can make a whole heap of World Edits to a given map, and leave them all sitting in the Level folder at the same time, and there won't be any negative consequences?

3. Or am I better off playing it safe, and removing the other sets of edits first and saving them somewhere else safe, before adding a new set of change attributes to the docs/beam/levels folder?

My other thought is that the next time I clear my cache, who knows where all these multiple edit files in the levels folder will end up? And which one will be the "last man standing"? That's another discussion for another day. Let's see if I can at least wrap my brain around the answer to this question first.

Thanks.

APPENDIX:
    Interesting to note that when running two World Editor edit files in the levels folder simultaneously, apparently... the only one that gets saved and can be used is the last one that was made. When I moved the newer one and tried to run only the older one... a new 'theTterrain.ter' and 'theTerrain.terrain.json' was created one folder level above; thus making the ground disappear, and the truck fall through into the water.

I'm guessing that the 'items.level.json' files in the various folders all locked into the 2nd edit (the one with the sun to the north-- axis tilt= +60 degrees) and created non-interchangeable reference numbers associated only with that file. Once this was done, simply switching out the files would no longer work. This is just a guess on my part.

So the thing to apparently do is save an entire edit folder at the '[name of map]' folder level just below the 'levels' folder; and put it in a safe place... and keep them separate. So that running both at the same time doesn't corrupt the folder's 'items.level.json' files that allow each edit to be recognized and called up. That's my best "somewhat" educated guess.

#1 B3_Burner, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice