Ukraine Rallycross Updates

Discussion in 'Videos, Screenshots and other Artwork' started by Artistterrymartin, May 24, 2021.

1. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

Side project I plan to take on in the next week as I work on my first track(space track). Will shift back and forth but will upload betas for this track. Maybe this week will have a basic track to test, then the artwork and scenery will focus on last. Space Track is coming along too.
    --- Post updated ---
    Got a basic model in blender and into the game, its rough. But just going to use it as a template and build the track with the mesh road editor and terrain tools to trace the model. Just got to get the scale correct. upload_2021-5-24_13-33-31.png
    --- Post updated ---
    That looks like it needs to be bigger, Its pretty rough as you can see. I did not use any filters to smooth it, and its clocking in at 1.4 million polys. 2.8 if you count the collision mesh. Make more sense to just use it for a template. upload_2021-5-24_13-36-37.png
    --- Post updated ---
    upload_2021-5-24_13-44-57.png
    --- Post updated ---
    Very early... Very basic.. But its a start, will focus on the track building tomorrow then the scenery in the days to come. This is the best Google Earth could offer for a model using the photogrammetry to capture it. Some places in the world are very detailed, this one at least is not flat and has the elevation data. May be muddy and blurry but that will change as I get more into its creation. If the Scale looks close thats all that matters really at this point. Work in Progress very early Dirt Track from Russia I think - YouTube
    --- Post updated ---
    Here is a video of how the process went, not to hard to do, just fast forward and skip through the render process, that took some time in meshroom. Google Earth to BeamNG - Russia track WIP - YouTube
    --- Post updated ---
    Here is the model for the track and the two textures that it needs. Anyone has my permission to use them and make the exact same track, maybe it will turn out better than mine :) The naming should be russiadirt1.color.png and russiadirt2.color.png for the textures. Just move the 3 files into your level, open the asset browser and you should see it in the models under all model folder. If the texture is RED NO TEXTURE, hehe, just make 2 new textures and name them Russiadirt1.color and Russiadirt2.color and point to the textures location in the folder for both of them . Dont forget to Rebuild Collision in the edit tab (CTRL F7) to get the collision map to work. upload_2021-5-24_14-41-40.png

Attached Files:

2. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

Here is the model for the track and the two textures that it needs. Anyone has my permission to use them and make the exact same track, maybe it will turn out better than mine :) The naming should be russiadirt1.color.png and russiadirt2.color.png for the textures. Just move the 3 files into your level, open the asset browser and you should see it in the models under all model folder. If the texture is RED NO TEXTURE, hehe, just make 2 new textures and name them Russiadirt1.color and Russiadirt2.color and point to the textures location in the folder for both of them.
    --- Post updated ---
    did a little more tracing the google earth track with the game track, of course that mesh of a track will be invisible and decals used for dirt track with a ground texture replacing the terrible google earth texture. I raised some of the game terrain block to kinda show how it will replace the google height map near the bottom of the screen. A couple textures I made a while back blended in with the games default grass. Not nessisarly what I will use. Will try to match the real track with close approximations. later 3d models put in ideally for crowds, passing traffic on the near by highway in the back ground, trees, rocks ext. First thing first is getting the track right, it be test drove on to make sure its fun. If the track is no good, then the level is no good. Maybe two days have a rough track to test. I realize this view shows the joker lap I assume. Will add missing parts later. upload_2021-5-24_22-54-58.png
    --- Post updated ---
    another spot spot, get all the nodes down and track matching the satellite texture of the actual track. Curved, banked, whatever. Cool think is the world editor lets you pick loose dirt for example for the track surface. If this was one of those tracks where part is asphalt and part gravel, its got that too. Quite easy to break the track into segments and assign the proper ground surface. upload_2021-5-24_23-0-22.png
    --- Post updated ---
    And with the game track hid, you can see where I am going with this idea. upload_2021-5-24_23-4-9.png

3. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

another spot spot, get all the nodes down and track matching the satellite texture of the actual track. Curved, banked, whatever. Cool think is the world editor lets you pick loose dirt for example for the track surface. If this was one of those tracks where part is asphalt and part gravel, its got that too. Quite easy to break the track into segments and assign View attachment 804657
    --- Post updated ---
    Here is the new model using a geo plugin for blender, also compares to the old one from using the Meshroom method. Its clear to see the plugin is better resolution. Also the scale was already set and I did not have to manually approximate. Since the plugin used Tif I had the red texture error, I fix it in the video, but bypass the texture cooker. This model will just be a template to build a track from and terrain around. will upload it and the texture too if anyone wants to use it. Just make a texture in the game editor "Newrussia" and point to the png file in the folder you put the DAE in, which will be in your level art folder assuming thats where you normally store yours. And exit and reload the game to refresh the red texture. Dont know why it works like that, but there you have it. Updated model of russia dirt track - YouTube
    --- Post updated ---
    Here is a normal map for it (not using pressure cooker fie naming) Just edit the newrussia texture and select it for the normal map. You can also add it to the detail normal map but be sure to change the scaling in the detail map to 1 and 1. Even though there will be no texture loaded there. Doing that will allow you to crank up the extra normal relief to whatever number you wish. I did not try this normal map, assuming it will be fine, its cosmetic not going to change the model physically.
    --- Post updated ---
    Here is a normal map for it (not using pressure cooker fie naming) Just edit the newrussia texture and select it for the normal map. You can also add it to the detail normal map but be sure to change the scaling in the detail map to 1 and 1. Even though there will be no texture loaded there. Doing that will allow you to crank up the extra normal relief to whatever number you wish. I did not try this normal map, assuming it will be fine, its cosmetic not going to m
    --- Post updated ---
    Very easy way to inject a DAE and texture into a official game level without the hassle to making your own actual level. To me this is very fast and simple. Make a back up of the official level though. (1) Inject a DAE and Texture into official game level Easy Way - YouTube
    --- Post updated ---
    Model #3, I put display at 8k, captured the Bing data instead of Googles. It looks a lot better to me, I saved a screenshot of how I set the texture up for it. Just put the model and the bing.png and bingnormal.png in the art folder of the level. May have to create a new texture, just name it Bing. I will send the model and textures too. upload_2021-5-25_19-51-25.png
    --- Post updated ---
    a higher up shot of the model Russia2.DAE upload_2021-5-25_19-55-8.png
    --- Post updated ---
    I will get busy tracing the track and terrain tomorrow.
    --- Post updated ---
    Anyone who has trouble getting the DAEs to work, I made a video of the latest model. I guess I have to break down and get Winzip, Forum dont accept my preferred WinRar (cause its free) Will Zip the entire level and send as a alpha in the coming days I hope. Have not completely finished a track and did that. Assumingly I just Zip the entire level folder and thats that. Russia track Model #3 - YouTube

Attached Files:

4. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

Went Back, recaptured the elevation with different method than before. This seems to actually match the real world location, then increased the amount to exaggerate the height.
    upload_2021-5-26_23-14-20.png
    --- Post updated ---
    Two screenshots how I got the textures configured.
    upload_2021-5-26_23-17-21.png
    upload_2021-5-26_23-18-0.png
    When the game loads, before picking the map you put the DAE in, Go ahead and hit F11 to enter the editor. There will be no map loaded but thats okay. Create New Material Ukrain2. Then select the 3 maps that would will save in the level art folder. Save the material then load the map. When you import the DAE into the level there should not be any texture problems.
    Go ahead and delete all the previous maps from this thread to not confuse any of them.
    --- Post updated ---
    I will add, this model will need to be tessellated to fix a couple bumps, but its mostly drivable now. Will get on that tomorrow.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

Ukrain3.Dae updated the models tessellation and smoothed it from the past model. Textures are same as Ukrain2's. No change.
    --- Post updated ---
    Says its only 65,000 polys. 130 counting Collision mesh. I did try to tesselate 2x more and smoothed in Blender but could not get it any smoother. I am new to Blender, maybe its an easier way. In 3dsmax I would apply a relax modifier, but thats not option. My student license ran out on Max months ago. Think until I get more done, its more space efficient on the servers here to update the model, than zipping the entire level every little change made. Plan is to zip it tomorrow, send as is for anyone having trouble with the Dae importing. I have to say, just playing on the model is pretty fun. With the texture set as Loose dirt or whatever it is, that old truck can drift around those turns. Wander if this track ever made it into one of the Dirt games. Don't recall seeing it. Like I said earlier, anyone is welcome to take the files I uploaded and make the same track. I don't care a bit if there are 5 or 20 of the exact same track that I started. Would be fun to see anyone else go's at it.
    Just realized that the model went from 3megs to 52megs. Just from tessellation. Look at the wireframe in editor, it may not need nowhere near that much and still be smooth.

Attached Files:

6. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

Been busy reworking the texture, only got a small portion of it done, changed the texture size of the model to 16k but will likely scale it down to 8k after it gets done. Started planting grass, bushes, trees, small rocks, May have to reduce the density, see how performance goes, already creeping up there.
    --- Post updated ---
    I just started planting the grass trees rocks ect and reworking texture( One very large one ), lots to do still but its coming along. The scale is wrong for the gravel texture, its like large tractors made those tire marks :/
    Ukraine Rally Work In Progress - YouTube
    --- Post updated ---
    How I am more less doing the texture rework. Will be looking for different things to plug in there. Just a few things from today. upload_2021-5-28_19-32-26.png
    --- Post updated ---
    Submitted Alpha version of track awaiting approval. Assuming that it is not allowed to simply post the Zipped file here. I don't know for sure, but its submitted, as Ukraine Rallycross as an Alpha version 1.0
    I know when I submitted a mod a while back it took a few days before they got back with me. In the mean time I will continue working on it. Changed the 2 large PNGs to JPGs. Added some listening music to the Default starting spot, Dont worry if you hate it you can drive 2 feet and not have to hear it. I plan to ask the person who requested the track for his favoriate song to play. So mine is just a place holder, Resist and Disorder from Cyberpunk 2077. I think I called this a motocross track at some point :p I guess bikes could race on it. I will update latest work tomorrow, and inform if they track gets approved, or look for it.
    Thank You for anyone following, means a lot.
    Open for any constructive criticisms after its out. Tell me what you like or dislike. Is performance okay, need more optimizing maybe, anything. Should not even have to say the model is not complete, still a lot to do. Want to add animated crowds, passing highway cars, race related custom models, barriers, fencing, posts, flags animated, clouds, list goes on. This is just a test drive of the main track with some sprinkles on the side :) I plan to share the custom assets for this track as I build them here if anyone wants to use them in their creations. The extra sprinkles.

Attached Files:

• upload_2021-5-28_18-57-44.png
    #6 Artistterrymartin, May 29, 2021
    Last edited: May 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

Not to get too far ahead of myself, this is something I have had on my mind for a dirt course. While away this morning I had Meshroom building a new model of a Rock Quarry south of Hartsfield Atlanta Airport. About 5 miles from my house. As a kid I always was fascinated driving by it to how large of a hole in the ground it was. Was not until a teenager I was able to jump the fence and look and see the bottom. Ignoring the Caution Blasting signs. I think it would be a heck of a dirt track with some perilous hazards for sure. If the model turns out okay I will send it. Will only be a section though. 68 screenshots at 1.5 resolution of 4k. I did try the pluging for blender. It did not work great for sharp angles. Its great for hills in general though but not fine detail up close. Think that is intended for large scale areas, not anything smaller than 30 meters. upload_2021-5-29_14-8-54.png
    --- Post updated ---
    That had issues, had that problem before, for whatever reason the mesh is invisible when imported. Forgot what caused that issue, Happened on my space track a few times when trying to make a very large object, but thats not it, the Ukraine model is 4 times its size. Thought it was because it had 7 textures, which the editor said was 30 draw calls. Deleted all the textures to make a red ugly model and still can't see it.
    Anyone else have that issue with blender exporting models into Beam I would love to hear what causes it sometimes.
    --- Post updated ---
    Todays addition ( I will level the starting grid ground, doubt any races starts like that) Ukraine RallyCross - Start Sign - - YouTube

Attached Files:

• red.jpg
  8. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

plain model upload_2021-5-30_11-57-50.png
    --- Post updated ---
    Done a little landscaping and track building on just one corner to get the terrain to match the 2d flat satellite Bing texture map. upload_2021-5-30_12-0-10.png

Anyone here in the USA, have a safe weekend holiday. I am staying home myself. Go out to eat for lunch and that's about it. Plan on working a lot on this track, playing some Days Gone, Finishing Re8 among some things.

#8 Artistterrymartin, May 30, 2021
    Last edited: May 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

Todays fun and errors, but its all good :) Ukraine Rallycross Extras - YouTube
    --- Post updated ---
    Here is the high and low detail of the model of the dude if anyone wants it. Just extract the contents into the art folder of the level. I already changed the textures so the game should automatically convert them. Go into the asset browser and there will be a higher detail and the low detail models. I am no animator btw. Also, you can scale the model in the editor to whatever size you want. There is no collision mesh for animated DAEs. Its possible to make one but it will not move around to the best of my knowlage. upload_2021-5-30_16-0-4.png

Attached Files:

10. yarchumak8

yarchumak8
    Expand Collapse

Hi;)

YouTube blocked link to 2021 race. I upload link in this site:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

Here is the high and low detail of the model of the dude if anyone wants it. Just extract the contents into the art folder of the level. I already changed the textures so the game should automatically convert them. Go into the asset browser and there will be a higher detail and the low detail models. I am no animator btw. Also, you can scale the model in the editor to whatever size you want. There is no collision mesh for animated DAEs. Its possible to make one but it will not move around to the best of my knowlage.
    This is perfect ! Exactly what I needed Thanks so much !

12. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

Went around entire track making it flat, but flat horizonal. Will correct all the ground beside the track later, want to get the track itself correct. The model of the chuck of land since I exaggerated it to make it more hilly also caused the part you race on to have some crazy banks. So all the crazy banks are fixed. Will adjust the ground next to be at the correct level next to the track. upload_2021-6-1_0-4-48.png

13. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

14. aeoe

aeoe
    Expand Collapse

very interesting! Quite cool to see this as a person from ukraine lol

15. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

Me, I am from Atlanta Ga :) Think all the people here are into nascar racing. I went to one with wife and left after an hour. Pretty boring to watch. Rallycross to me is far more entertaining to watch and play. Or the mode that's a point a to b best time.

16. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

17. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

Attached Files:

• p.jpg
  18. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

6-2-21 - changed custom grass to custom forest brush rather than the ground foliage tool. Real place looks to have tall grass upload_2021-6-2_15-47-9.png

19. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

6-2-21 - One Hour of working on Ukraine Rallycross
    6-2-21 - One Hour of working on Ukraine Rallycross - YouTube
    The amount of time originally pitched to create the entire track :)) I am old, and slow. Thought I would record some of what I was doing today if anyone is curious. No time stamps, just skip around.
    --- Post updated ---
    The grass I did upload_2021-6-2_19-11-33.png
    --- Post updated ---
    Here is that 4 polygon grass mesh I made earlier anyone wants it.
    I included a screenshot of how I did the textures. If you need more info or have problems read below.

If you hit f11 in the main menu and create the texture there, there should be no problem when you import the model in as far as red textures. Texture you create in the material editor is "Newgrass". If you load the level then make the texture it will be red until you save that texture, save the level, exit game completely to desktop, reload level. (Or if you import the DAE into blender then export it right back to the game while its running it will update it in real time) I put the model in the art folder and the textures in the Art/shape/forest folder. I ended up making a custom forest tool brush to be able to spray them all on the map without having to hand place every one.

Why not just name it Newgrass.color.png and avoid all that non sense and just use the texture cooker(It does not work on my system correctly as me as the operator, maybe something I am doing wrong. Sent a video hoping to hear back about that)
    For me after the texture cooker does its thing the texture is nowhere to be found in the material editor. If I type the texture name looking for it I get a crash. I even see the DDS in the temp folder but nowhere in the level folder. Thinking its a redirection problem where its looking for it in the wrong place. Tried reinstalling, using default user folder. The only thing I did not try is loading an official level and seeing if it works correctly in there as me as the operator. (not blaming game, I may be problem why I say me as the operator) :))

Attached Files:

20. Artistterrymartin

Artistterrymartin
    Expand Collapse

6-3-21 3:25am, Did a little more today...
    Before...
    upload_2021-6-3_3-38-0.png
    After...
    upload_2021-6-3_3-25-19.png
    --- Post updated ---
    Before
    upload_2021-6-3_4-0-50.png
    After
    upload_2021-6-3_3-59-38.png

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice