1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Unplayable framerate and unusual CPU usage

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by atomspeed123, Mar 17, 2018.

1. atomspeed123

atomspeed123
    Expand Collapse

Hello there,
    I've recently been having some issues with the game's framerate.
    Up until the past few days it's been fine, but since then it hasn't got past 5fps on any map (including Grid, Small, Pure and Gridmap) with all mods disabled.
    With physics paused it's perfectly fine and acts just as it did before, at over 70fps, however this cannot be said for realtime.
    In realtime, the engine sounds' audio pops all over the place and the camera has massive amounts of stutter to go with the framerate.
    What's also odd is that in the menus, it reaches over 70fps according to MSi Afterburner and is as quick and responsive as ever. It's only when a map is loaded in with a car that the framerate drastically drops.
    Also, when in a map in realtime, only the first two cores of my 6-core AMD FX-6300 max out at 100%, and every other piece of hardware - including GPU memory and physical memory, as well as all the other cores - is at barely over 10% usage.
    BeamNG is not using inbuilt graphics since this CPU does not have an integrated GPU; it is using my 2GB MSi GTX 770.
    Keep in mind that all mods are disabled, and it is kept at Normal settings with AA, SSAO, Light Rays, Dynamic Reflection and DOF all off. Lowering this to even the lowest preset has absolutely no effect whatsoever.
    I have re-installed the game, cleared the cache and verified the game's integrity with no issues found.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

For whatever reason, the forum won't let me post images, and I think it's because (as others have found in the past) my account is labelled as 'new'.

#1 atomspeed123, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

If it started happen in the past days only, you want to check if anything recent that happened on your PC is the cause (new software, updates, etc).
    The game did not change.

3. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

That sounds like exactly the same issue I had after a graphics driver update got released. I had to install a the new version of the drivers and it worked perfectly.

4. atomspeed123

atomspeed123
    Expand Collapse

I'll try that and see if it helps.
    It began to happen when I was editing a version of the 200BX, which had been moved into a separate archive and renamed as a different car. After experimenting with JBeams and having a few Lua errors, this lag began, but usually went away either after a game restart or a reboot of windows.
    This separate mod that I had running worked fine up until these errors, (which I found in the Lua console), and the errors were simply syntax errors, occuring when the game tried loading in a configuration of the car. It aborted loading once it found these errors and left the map empty with no vehicles, however when a different car was spawned (not being part of this mod) this lag was present.
    No software or driver updates have occured between boots of BeamNG recently.
    --- Post updated ---
    This issue has been successfully fixed by a driver update! Thanks guys. This thread can now be locked/deleted.

5. atomspeed123

atomspeed123
    Expand Collapse

That did fix it for a time, but after starting the game today the same issue came up again. And when my driver breaks, as you can imagine, it doesn't just slow down BeamNG.
    I re-installed my driver twice this afternoon, and everything else on my PC ran smoothly - but when I booted BeamNG, and it lagged again, everything slowed down with it.
    So I've come to the conclusion that somehow, BeamNG.drive is doing damage to my Nvidia graphics driver.

6. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

That's highly unlikely.
    Games won't damage your drivers, it's the other way round on a stretched case (example drivers 390.77 up to the latest broke Dynamic Reflections).

Your issue is more likely caused by something else.
    Unfortunately these kind of issues are really hard to troubleshoot for someone on the other side of the screen.

The game has Performance Meters, which can be used to pin-point, on a general level, what is causing slowdowns (GPU, CPU, etc.)
    You need to enable the 'Advanced Functions' in Options > Gameplay and then click the 'bars' icon (tooltip says 'Performance Meters) in the side-menu

7. atomspeed123

atomspeed123
    Expand Collapse

I do have images of that, but as I say in my first post, it wouldn't allow me to post images before.

8. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Try again ;)

9. atomspeed123

atomspeed123
    Expand Collapse

10. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Graphs shows some delay coming from the CPU & Physics side.
    In fact if you pause the game, you should see your frame-rate going up by a margin.

Along that, the CPU you have (FX 6300) is not exactly great for BeamNG.drive (or complex stuff in general - That's due the weird mix of a weak FPU, and the fact it's shared between two cores, rather than each having its own).
    Have you checked the temperatures? Perhaps it's just an overheating / thermal throttling issue.

11. atomspeed123

atomspeed123
    Expand Collapse

upload_2018-3-20_18-30-20.png This is accurate according to all programs I've used. At full load, it gets to around 21°C, as I've got quite an adequate heatsink and cooling system.
    The game ran fine at over 80fps yesterday, after the driver update completed, and this processor was bought new. So I don't think it's the processor's fault.

12. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Well, if the issue isn't the temperatures than it's something else, as indicated here:

Things you could check:
    - Power plan
    - Check usages in task manager
    - Literally anything that changed in your system ( and about that, there's very little we can help with )

The latter is probably the most plausible cause as mentioned earlier, as your issue started randomly, not after an update or any game change and the game was working fine then.

13. atomspeed123

atomspeed123
    Expand Collapse

While paused I get a solid 75fps: upload_2018-3-20_18-58-6.png
    Unusually, as said, the first two cores hit 100% usage while the others aren't so much. When the game is running correctly, I usually tend to see all cores running at around 70% usage, but rarely 100%.
    upload_2018-3-20_19-0-13.png
    The power plan remains on High Performance with no power saving options in use.
    No significant software or driver updates (apart from those to do with the GPU) have occured recently, at least throughout this issue being present (as far as I recall).
    It is definitely odd that updating the video driver temporarily fixed the issue. I'm quite confused at this, since I've updated again since, and it has not fixed it. I will try again to see if it fixes it once more.

Attached Files:

• upload_2018-3-20_18-50-58.png
    • upload_2018-3-20_18-51-28.png
    • upload_2018-3-20_18-51-44.png
  14. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

The fact your FPS jumps so high with physics paused is a clear evidence it's related to the CPU.
    The core usage is normal. More threads gets used as you spawn more vehicles.
    The thing is that the otherFrameMS indicator is excessively high. That indicates external factors to the game that are keeping the CPU busy and causing possible performance issues. Normally that would be near zero, in your case it's pretty high.
    The GPU driver update you did was probably some random thing, and the problem lies somewhere else.

Have you tried taking some CPU benchmarks to compare with other results online?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice