[Unsupported] Temporary Patch For Driver, Passengers And Loads

Discussion in 'Mods and Skins' started by NOCARGO, Nov 2, 2020.

1. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Hi everyone,

It seems more than clear that the Driver,Passengers and Loads mod by @synsol has become a virtually essential feature of the game. Thousands of players are crazy about it and it just would seem surrealistic if this mod, or a replacement would never return to BeamNG. Maybe the author is working on it, maybe not, or maybe other creators or working on it or something similar. Either way it's been to long since those crazy dummy and Stig champs have been occupying the fleet !

2.png

This is Synsol's mod and I haven't bothered him with asking permission for redistributing his mod. Besides, even after the painstaking work I put into it the last 2 days it would still need a lot more work to be worthy of a replacement or update of his mod. All I did so far, and maybe ever will, is sort of recreated the original offsets which were obviously seriously messed up after 0.20. An awful lot of manual tweaking was involved because this mod contains an awful lot of code to tweak. Since the 'auto-offset' refuses to apply in newest version of the game I went and applied offset after each single corresponding line for the nodes as well as for the mesh.
    I did this for all vanilla cars that are included in this mod and ONLY for Dummy and Stig, NOT their steering animations and neither for the loads. Those I left untouched. I have been messing a bit with the dummies/drivers for the Moonhawk and especially for the 200BX to try to fit them better, also minimal for other vehicles.

Since no permission is involved the only way to go is patch the altered files into your user folder under 'vehicles' instead of repacking the whole mod. Please remember : THIS IS AN UNSUPPORTED EMERGENCY FIX to use AT YOUR OWN RISK. For those with less experience of managing the game files :
    Be careful not to wipe any other files from your vehicles folder in your user folder. If your not sure about automatic folder merging, better to carefully place all the files manually.

You can always unpack the original mod and replace the corresponding files from this temporary fix and repack it again.

I have read in Synsol's thread that some users claim they still have a few cars working properly with the dummies/drivers. This was not the case on my system so maybe this patch may have different results depending on the user's specific setup (?). No idea but when I test things thru they mostly seem to reflect
    'general circumstances' :p

Again, overriding a big mod like this through the user folder is a step that requires precision. If unsure, backup your 'vehicles' folder (the one from the user folder) just in case.

TLDR instructions : Unpack the zip and put the files in your user folder, you can also unpack the original mod, replace the files and repack. If you repack the original mod : DO NOT REDISTRIBUTE !!

Hope this helps,

-NOCARGO

- update

Thanks to @Agent_Y the dummy can now be used in the new 0.23 Pigeon as well !
    You can pickup the files in this post.​

Attached Files:

#1 NOCARGO, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Wow dude, that's a lot of dedication, manually applying offset for each mesh and node, huge respect! And to clear it up, the working version I talked about only works due to earlier modifications I made to the mod before 0.20.2.
    And just for your info, later I figured out the reason why the auto-offset doesn't work: The mod uses an outdated (game-breaking) way of of applying 2 optional arguments in the slots section:
    Old way (how it is in the mod): {"nodeMove": something}, {"coreSlot": true},
    New way that works: {"nodeMove": something, "coreSlot": true},
    So it's just all about having everything in the same brackets. For some reason the old way not only doesn't work but also breaks all other optional arguments in the entire file. So it breaks all of the auto offset and all core slots. I've tested that doing this on the mod fixes it, deleting core slots altogether does too. I'm just saying this so you know why it stopped working all of a sudden after 0.20.2.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

So does that mean you had it working for all cars by changing the core slots to regular ones or by changing the brackets concerning the core slot descriptions ?

4. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Originally I just deleted every instance of {"coreSlot": true} in every file of the mod and it worked, I didn't know why. Now I took the original mod and changed the brackets and it worked too. The difference is that now core slots actually behave like core slots and not like normal ones.

5. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Welp, if I'd known that, my patch would have involved a lot of less trouble, or am I still missing something ? :p

6. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Yeah that's right. Although when I tried posting my fix back then (not files but just a tutorial what exactly to change) I got yelled at that "it's not a proper way to fix a mod" so I deleted it. Your fix maybe seems more "proper" than mine and it's also future-proof (in case some day devs decided to remove nodeMove for some reason) so it's not wasted effort.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Really ? I totally missed that unfortunately :/

Don't know, one of Synsol's updates states that he changed nodeOffset into nodeMove so my guess is nodeMove is 'newer' alternative ?
    Given the fact that nodeOffset still works (and why not, at least for backw. compatibility) I guess nodeMove is not going anywhere soon :)

8. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

From what I've tested nodeMove is slightly different than nodeOffset. It's basically what nodeOffset used to be. There are some old mods that are slightly broken because they use nodeOffset instead of nodeMove. Idk what exactly is the difference here but changing it changes the way the model is alligned with Jbeam from what I've tested. I wish I knew what exactly the difference is, I guess the reason it was changed as you mentioned was because nodeOffset changed and nodeMove was added as backwards compatibility.
    Wow we are getting really off topic here lol

9. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Not in my thread, at least not by what you're mentioning :D

But I guess you mean nodeOffset was replaced by nodeMove and nodeOffset stayed for backwards compatibility ? Cause that's how I see it, not that I'm therefore necessarily right of course :)

You were right, removing two mere lines of 'coreslot = true' per car fixes the complete offset. And redefining the brackets too. It does stay a little spooky because after I rearranged the brackets synsol's interior slot still remains 'non-core'. Weird, isn't it ? lol

Anyway, yes my patch also re-positions the dummies/drivers in most places where they would have exceed the vehicles' bodies so.. no lost work after all I guess. :)
    --- Post updated ---
    or maybe you ARE right about :
    who knows.. interesting :p

10. Crash Frontier

Crash Frontier
    Expand Collapse

First of all thanks for finding a solution for that! I envy you guys for your knowledge in coding. I wish I was able to understand anything of that.
    Regarding the mod itself: I unzipped synsols mod and replaced the files in the "vehicle" folder with yours. However, that didn't work. I reread your instruction several times and maybe it seems I am missing something. I also didn't quite understand what you mean by "user folder". You say "overriding a big mod like this through the user folder is a step that requires precision. If unsure, backup your 'vehicles' folder (the one from the user folder)" and I am like Damn what user folder does he mean. Maybe it's so simple that I am always missing it.. A quick hint would be much appreciated.

Thanks again for this obvious huge effort! I really appreciate it!

11. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Hi, yeah I guess many will stumble upon the 'vehicle' folder from user folder thing. Let me try and explain it a little broader :

So, by running BeamNG you are making use of a user folder, just as many games and programs do, right ?
    For instance, the mods folder from the game sits in your user folder. Now, in that same user folder a folder named 'vehicles' can be present too. By very very default I think it doesn't but as soon as you would save but just a config it will automatically appear there. You can also create this folder yourself. More about this folder : it allows to override existing files from the game or from mods given the condition they are named the same. The game picks an order to override files. First one in the ranks is this folder. The game will always look on this folder first to see if there's any files from vehicles that need to be applied. The 'vehicles override folder' (as I call it) is handy for modding cause you can update your files in game by pressing ctrl + r. These are the tidbits I can share about the folder. That's why I mentioned if users already have stuff in the 'override folder' they should take precaution not to wipe them.

ONE LAST IMPORTANT NOTE : If you clear cache or check file integrity the 'vehicles' folder in your user folder WILL be wiped !!

I always put it on my desktop before clearing cache (with file integrity check).

Mods do not get deleted on clearing cache of course. And I know it's a little complicated for this mod but without permission I cannot repack it for you. Best way is to learn and pack it yourself, as I explained before. But don't go and share a repacked mod without permission from the author.

So, if you read this post twice I guess you'll figure it out :)

12. ltntai

ltntai
    Expand Collapse

May I correct that it won't. Your config .pc files are safe there. Only vehicles folder in cache.0.20.2.0 folder will get wiped.
    Anyway thanks for making this mod work again.

• Like Like x 1
  13. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

I believe the config .pc files are approved by integrity check whilst other files are not. Unless latest game version changed, the other files end up in 'unknown files backup' or 'backup' folder if I'm correct. I was not including that in my explanation because it would become more difficult to understand for the mainstream users.

#13 NOCARGO, Nov 7, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  14. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Yeah the pc files and images stay, all other files it deletes. It used to delete images too and it was annoying as you would always lose your config thumbnails every time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ltntai

ltntai
    Expand Collapse

Oh ok, I didn't know that. Thanks for clarifying.

16. Heavy Is Bear

Heavy Is Bear
    Expand Collapse

where is the user folder?

#16 Heavy Is Bear, Nov 8, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  17. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

By default it looks like this ↓ on my system :

C:\Users\yourName\Documents\BeamNG.drive

"yourName" is YOUR WIndows user name of course :)

18. Heavy Is Bear

Heavy Is Bear
    Expand Collapse

ok, thanks!
    --- Post updated ---
    When I go to documents, it says the folder is empty

19. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Do you use Steam and has Steam a different location for the user folder ? I don't use Steam so I'm not sure. And isn't there also a One Drive option to store the user folder on the cloud ? There also seems to be an exception when your system blocks automatic storage in the documents folder, therefore you should take a look at this post. And if you open the file called "startup.ini" in the game's main folder you might find a clue to the user folder location too.

20. Heavy Is Bear

Heavy Is Bear
    Expand Collapse

When I go to documents, it says the f
    Alright, yes I do use Steam, I will reply again when I get it running or need help again, thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice