1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Update Speculation thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crazikyle, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Harkin Gaming

Harkin Gaming
    Expand Collapse

I'm sure that the gauges will be a selectable part that would be tied into the config. It would be like the how LeGran has different gauges based on trim levels.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Same for the Piccolina.

3. crazikyle

crazikyle
    Expand Collapse

I should have specified, I was thinking of the UI app.

4. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

I was considering how the top cover on the engine bay is made of glass, and considering that an electric motor isn't much to look at compared to a boxer engine, what if you were to remove the glass panel (or make it opaque), and maybe even tweak the shape of the "rearint" mesh, and then have some batteries above the rear motor? (it would probably give it a bit more rear weight bias, making it closer to its ICE counterpart, meaning it'd be easier to tune the handling)
    also, the frunk section appears to be mostly unused, with the fuel tank and radiator being replaced with one little controller(?) box of some kind (the front electric motor appears to be underneath the floor, where the diff normally goes (correct me if i'm wrong), so what If you were to re-sculpt the actual "frunk" mesh to make room for another small-ish battery pack? (basic possible mock-up shown below)
    Screenshot132.png
    @devs, keep in mind that I'm not demanding any of this, just suggesting ideas.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. jonthefuzz

jonthefuzz
    Expand Collapse

yay a zappy car!

6. Blood-PawWerewolf

Blood-PawWerewolf
    Expand Collapse

Didn’t the devs say somewhere that they wanted to improve the “rope physics”? I remember seeing it but I just don’t remember where. Probably someone that wanted tie-downs to be in the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Flippi 284

Flippi 284
    Expand Collapse

I'm hoping the electric SBR4 will be uh........more combustable than the normal cars. If the battery gets scraped or something the car will catch fire (I think that was the problem with some of the Teslas but I may be wrong).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

How often your current BeamNG vehicles are seeing more than 1/4 of fuel consumed before your car is totaled or switch to new one?

It might be just my driving, but pretty much only thing which I have got half tank consumed more than few times is Mirahawk.

There is one failed project which I know about, that was attempt of creating electric vehicle from gasoline powered versions and then selling those as new electric vehicles, designed range was 150km, but afaik it never reached such range and if I remember correctly project failed as they were arguing instead of building:
    http://ecars-now.wikidot.com/ecars:electric-toyota-corolla

Real range was something like 80km when driving economically on highway, a lot less in city.

That was a passenger car, something that has more space for batteries than sports car.

Tesla is then purpose built, has space for good sized battery and their battery tech is bit better than typical.

So I don't think it would be realistic to except 200km range from electric car that is a conversion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Cutlass

Cutlass
    Expand Collapse

I can't believe no one thought of this, I wonder if there will be some sort of hirochi charging station.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

CRD will net about 6-7 minutes of spirited driving with 80L of methanol... ;)
    There's plenty more.

Like, a car with comparable space constraints like the FIAT 500e was rated for 84 miles / 135 km.

T-shaped battery pack, batteries in the tunnel and under the rear seats, right over the rear axle:

Or, as mentioned, early experimental vehicles with literally "a trunkload of batteries":

11. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, that is about 3 minutes longer than I have ever managed to keep monster truck wheels attached, there must be a bug, vehicle is magnetic to solid objects :D

I do really like electric vehicles, but lot of them appear to be pretty useless, tbh.

Then again I do hear people use car for 5km trips, which to me is bit odd, I mean car engine never reaches normal temps. Electric cars have similar range as my bicycle, which is not electric powered.

12. Confused_Deer43

Confused_Deer43
    Expand Collapse

I dont know if its been mentioned, but the fact the batteries run alongside the mid-bottom part of the SBR4 make the center of gravity work in its favor. Teslas irl are really hard to flip and get incredible steering because of the way the batteries are laid out, so I think this design choice is one of the best choices for a performance vehicle like the SBR4.
    Also, Tesla has recently made advancements in batteries giving them the ability to be smaller and still pack more range in, so the small size of the batteries here dont mean range will be sacrificed much, and it's not like we would all manage to drive this thing until it fully runs out of juice in this game anyway.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

But Beam is not about just enough.

It's a game that is supposed to go the extra mile in realism, and the electric SBR4 isn't doing a great job at that.

14. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Regardless of how many extra miles we would love to go, we still have very limited resources given the huge scope currently covered by BeamNG.drive. You all have to be understanding that we cannot pour infinite resources into getting the last 1% of realism, when we could distribute those efforts in a smarter way to improve the overall state of the whole sim.

Yes, maybe it would be cool to achieve 100.0% believable replicas of real-world brands, which follow believable real-life commercialization strategies that work in a simulated economy system closely mimicking real-life history and real-life laws present across all of the world's countries where said companies would potentially operate, with replicas of real-life marketed vehicles, etc, etc. And we do our best, making reasonable efforts towards that.

When we fail to reach the extremely high standards that a few of you may have at times regarding certain specific issues, you can respectfully voice your opinion and we will see what we can do about all raised issues, as we always do; but you also need to understand that we are also bound by real-life constraints ourselves... and this doesn't automatically mean we're just lazy/stupid/careless/etc :)

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Safthof

Safthof
    Expand Collapse

You assume the electric SBR4 might not doing a great job at that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Git gud, don't hit solid obstacles with big-ass protruding wheels, get latest update... :p
    That's why tiny daily commuters are so common here on the other side of the pond.

No need for inefficient behemoths when you rarely have passengers on board and need to cover such little distances.

Thus the Smart car was born. A very good idea (at least here), if only Mercedes-Benz didn't choose to attach a premium sticker price on what was nothing but a modernized minicar concept...

17. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

There is a difference between things that are done wrong because of the effort it would take to do them right, and things that aren't much harder to do right.

Even the electric SBR4... as it's not the last Beam car, wouldn't it be better to build a car with enough battery space from the ground up as the next, instead of an underbatteried compromise?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Oh did latest update include 4 bolt hubs, so we can put Autobello wheels to CRD truck, more efficient and I would have less trouble in Italy with it :D

I am excepting developers to create electric bicycle with small trailer to show how such small distances are handled properly, they should make this available in next hotfix, certainly not unrealistic wish, it needs only few beams xD

19. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

wait, so you're saying that the lack of size, in a visual mesh of one particular part, which is not normally visible, is ruining the game's immersion? also, do you know how much it takes to make an entire vehicle from the ground up?

• Agree Agree x 8
  20. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Properly =/= freezing your ass off.
    --- Post updated ---
    Yes.
    Yes, and that is when they should make an all-electric car.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice