1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

updater wont update to v4

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by medion, Aug 27, 2013.

1. medion

medion
    Expand Collapse

PLEASE HELP!!!:eek:

i launch the updater so i can get v1.4 but when it gets to the end of calculating delta it says:

"FATAL ERROR unable to open file for writing ./libbeamng.x86.dll"

please help!

2. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

try to:
    a) close beamng
    b) restart the computer
    c) install it in a path where the user has write access to

3. medion

medion
    Expand Collapse

about a)
    what do you mean by "close beamng"?

4. bhorton

bhorton
    Expand Collapse

He means close the program BeamNG. It does not get simpler than that!

5. medion

medion
    Expand Collapse

as in the actual game or something else?:confused::confused::confused:

(i dont get it because beamng was already closed it was just the updater)

6. 0xsergy

0xsergy
    Expand Collapse

Just restart your computer and try running the updater before you run the game. What you're having is a permissions error due to some program still using that file in the background.

7. medion

medion
    Expand Collapse

i got it fixed by restarting the comp, thanks guys and especially you tdev thanks for the advice.

;)

8. JohnV

JohnV
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for bringing this up, but it seems I have the same problem, and haven't managed to solve it yet.

@tdev, hi there Thomas. It's been quite a while. :) I just bought the game finally, kinda late, but I was accupied with other stuff, heh. So, it seems I can't get rid of this problem, no matter what. Could you be more specific on the c) step? An example maybe? I installed it on a folder I created on this path: C:\games\BeamNG\BeamNG.drive. Then, after the problem persisted, even after restart, I reinstalled it on the default destination folder set by the installer. But still the problem exists... :( (I have Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and Nvidia Optimus, if that's important)

9. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

Perhaps try installing it to your Documents folder. Just pick a location you know you have full write access to.

10. JohnV

JohnV
    Expand Collapse

Could you be more specific on that, or give some examples?

EDIT: I just took a look at my folder's properties. I went on the Security tab and ticked the write permission, but still the game give me the same error.

11. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

I'm really not all that familiar with installation problems as it's worked fine on both my machines, so that was a shot in the dark. Other users have said, however, that the new updater currently in the opt-in testing phase has worked where the old one failed. Only one user comes to mind who's reported a problem with it so far.

12. JohnV

JohnV
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I also tried the latest updater and worked fine, but still the game would show the same error. So, I guess I will just wait and see. The only reason I feel bad now, is because I paid for it and still can't run it. :p But I know the guys and I really understand it's still on an alpha phase.

13. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

Sometimes some of the game files will become read-only. Right click on the root folder, select properties, and see if it's got read only files in it? (It'd be a square in the Read Only tickbox). If so, tick it so it's checked, making all files in the folder read only, and then tick it again so it's unchecked, making all of the files writable, and then try running the updater? Like I said I've never had install issues so I'm just taking shots in the dark based on what other users have said.

EDIT: I have the attention span of a gerbil, sorry.

#13 pulley999, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  14. JohnV

JohnV
    Expand Collapse

Reinstalled it for a 3rd time on the same destination folder and it worked! That's weird though... Why didn't it do so the previous trial?

15. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

Windows likes to be a troll sometimes? Anyways, why are you still here? Go have fun!

16. Troutner

Troutner
    Expand Collapse

my game still wont make the stupid file and I have re installed it 4 times...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice