Upgrade plans, suggestions ? Does it worth it ?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Ulrich, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Hey!

I'm slowly upgrading my computer to get a decent machine.

Here's my actual config:

Asrock H81m-DGS R2.0
    I5 4460 3.2ghz
    8go ram
    Sapphire 5770 hd Vapor-x 1GB
    Unofficial Windows 7 ultimate version

The first thing I've planned on upgradiung is the GPU, I originally wanted a rx480, but my brother is upgrading his PC with a rx480, and he'd like to sell me his actual Sapphire 7970 vapor x - 3go gddr5, for about 70€, yeah we sold stuff to our familly in my familly, does it worth it ? This GPU is actually quoted around 100€. I should run BeamNG well better with it, expecially since I upgraded my monitor.

The second and thrid thing I'd like to buy is an OEM version of Windows 10 pro (https://www.amazon.fr/Windows-10-Pro-OEM-64Bit/dp/B0119SQFF0), My computer need a good reinstalation anyway. And with that an SSD, probably a 120go (Only for Windows), Something a Samsung SSD 750 EVO 120 Go, If you have suggestions I don't know luch on SSD.
    I know I won't be able to re-install my W10 key on an other Hard-Disck since it's an OEM verison, but I'm probably not going to change the SSD before a long time. And it would probably last long enough before beiing outdated

After that I might have to updgrade my computer case, even if mine isn't bad by any mean, (at least for the price I paid it) (about 30€) (Aerocool V3X Advance Evil Blue). There's no more places for fans, and with the new GPU, I'm a bit scared my thing's going to overheat, I'll need to make test to know. If you have any great cases suggestions ^^, the SilverStone Redline RL06 Pro seemed like a good price/quality ratio for the number of fans in it.

I know I should upgrade my Mother board, since it's a micro-ATX, and still use a LGA1150 socket, but that mean I would have to change my CPU, what I can't do.

Excluding the case, those upgrade should cost me about 200€, and they will give obvious better perfomance / optimisation result.

If you have any suggestions, ideas, opinions, comments...

#1 Ulrich, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

Definitely get the 7970 for that price. Still a great GPU, it will work for a few more years before needing an upgrade. Plus if your brother was the original owner, if anything goes wrong, an RMA should work easily.

3. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

He was, he's really cautious with his stuff, so I'm not to scare about that.

#3 Ulrich, Apr 17, 2017
  4. Nissan Skyline

Nissan Skyline
    Expand Collapse

Even better! According to userbenchmark, a RX 480 is only 36% faster than a 7970. The 7970 is a great card for the price you can get it at. Plus that is a great cooler. I have an extra windows pro key, if you want it I'll PM it to you. It is legit, and since you make the forums a better place, I feel you deserve it.

#4 Nissan Skyline, Apr 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. FS16

FS16
    Expand Collapse

Get your brothers GPU --> sell it for more --> profit ---> RX480

6. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

Uh nah

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice