Use default audio output -option

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by fufsgfen, Jan 20, 2018.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I don't know if others end up to this, but I have three audio devices which I switch all the time.

They are:
    Realtek 2nd audio output, which I use for headphones
    Realtek Speakers, which I use for amplifier and big speakers
    Nvidia audio output, which I use for monitor speakers.

Now I don't want to play BeamNG engine sounds trough speakers, that is bit too much noise, so I use either monitor speakers or headphones at late evening.

This results that I'm changing Windows default audio device quite often.

BeamNG does not have option default audio device, so I have to choose specific audio device in BeamNG.

That is perhaps because FMOD and maybe because directX works?

When I play music trough MPC classic and switch windows default audio device, audio gets directed to default device without issues as long as I have selected default audio device instead of specific in MPC settings.

I was wondering if it would be possible to work same way in BeamNG if there would be option for default audio device so that without restarting audio would be played trough different audio device?

It is not really big trouble to change audio device and restart BeamNG, but another point would be reducing number of No Sound help requests as most will probably except game to play trough default Audio device.

Just something that popped to my mind, once again :)

2. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

oh i agree. Having it not be ALWAYS what i set to default can be bothersome to me sometimes

3. EcoNadder77

EcoNadder77
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for writing this. I like that it trys to look for a different audio device if the last selected one was unavailable, but it would be nice if you didn't need to restart BeamNG every time you want to change it.

4. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

This was implemented internally back in december, and it will probably (but not definitely) arrive in the next regular update. It will let you fall back to whatever the windows default audio device is each time beamng is started (live hotplugging requires more extensive code changes, so that's not planned for now).

5. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

This is very nice!

But how come everything I come up with you have always managed to guess being needed and have done already? You are quite clever people and clearly very good at what you are doing :D

6. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Our 88mph time travelling pigeon makes it easy :cool:

7. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

Fake and gay. At 88 mph the Pigeon disintegrates itself due to the bolts of the chassis heating up too much and becoming hot plasma.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice