1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Using Wrong Graphic Card. Help

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Sh3lbYe, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Sh3lbYe

Sh3lbYe
    Expand Collapse

So, not a long time ago i bought a new laptop that came with 2 graphic cards, one integrated from the CPU and a GT 740m, and Beamng only wants to use the integrated graphics card, and dont let me use the GT 740m. Is there any way to make the game use the GT 740m?

Sem Título.jpg

2. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

3. Sh3lbYe

Sh3lbYe
    Expand Collapse

I tryed to go to bios but it is nothing there to disable optimus or change display device, tried to go to Nvidia control panel but that doensn't seemed to work too, also the graphic card who gives me display is the integrated one, and Beamng still only have to choose the integrated card.

4. timbo01

timbo01
    Expand Collapse

Right click on launcher.exe (BeamNG) and select "Run with graphics processor" (or something like that). That should work.
    Greetz from Germany :)

5. Sh3lbYe

Sh3lbYe
    Expand Collapse

that already on default and i think its not using gt 740m because i play bf3 on high with 30+

6. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

Hmm.. Maybe Beam is actually using your GPU but the IGPU shows up in the options menu. If you download a monitoring program like GPU-Z and then run the game you could see if your Nvidia card shows any usage or not. That way you would at least know for sure which card the game is using.

7. Sh3lbYe

Sh3lbYe
    Expand Collapse

dont know how you see who the one is in work but i think it this:

GT 740M.gif HD 4600.gif

8. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

So you can tell which device is being used by the "GPU Load" value, so from those screens it looked like your gt740m was being used. You can set it up to record the data to a txt file then play the game for a few mins and check it. Your 740m should be at around 100% load while playing, as long as your within the temp limits.

9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

intel graphics on basically no load, nvidia on an actual load. Yeah your dedicated is definitely being used there.

As for BF3. 30+ on high isn't too bad for that card

10. Sh3lbYe

Sh3lbYe
    Expand Collapse

hmm yap it seems he is using the nvidia card, thanks for your time... one more question it is possible to use the 2 cards for better performance??

11. LSDMT420

LSDMT420
    Expand Collapse

Glad I could help.

This is possible by using 3rd party software, my motherboard came with a software called Virtue MVP, among other things it allows you to use your GPU and IGPU to increase performance. You can get a free trial of the software to check it out, but it isn't freeware.

http://www.lucidlogix.com/driverdownloads.shtml

If you haven't already you can also mess around with the settings in the Nvidia control panel, try turning performance mode to maximum and setting your battery profile to full power. You could try overclocking your card as well, laptops tend to get pretty hot when overclocked though..

12. Sh3lbYe

Sh3lbYe
    Expand Collapse

Thanks i will try it out.

Yes all set to performance, but i dont know about overclocking, the laptop tend to get hot even not overclocked. And thanks for help guys, appreciated.

it seems the program only works for desktops, but no problem i mean the game is playable, i just figured out tha putting the game on fullscreen increase a little amount of fps.

13. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Overclocking + laptop really doesnt go hand in hand.

You can try the software, but in my experience I find it actually bottlenecks performance rather than improve. Crossfire and SLI tend to be the only functional ways to combine GPU's and your hardware doesnt allow either (only NVidia do SLI, only AMD do crossfire, intel dont do anything at all).

14. Sh3lbYe

Sh3lbYe
    Expand Collapse

so there nothing to do to improve performance, oh well the frame rates are so bad at all comparing to my old pc is actually very good thanks anyway.

15. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

If you havent already, turn off SSAO in the post processing settings or even turn of post processing entirely. Makes a huge difference to frame rates. you can also try tweaking task priority to dedicate it more CPU time, but this can make your system slightly unstable, if it does a hard reboot (press and hold power button etc) fixes it.

If your using windows 8, open task manager, find BeamNG.Drive in the processes tab (should be up top somewhere). Right click and select goto details, it will open the details section with the process for BeamNG selected.
    Windows 7, you just open task manager, find BeamNG's process.
    Then right click the BeamNG process, in the right click menu is the set priority option.

Under no circumstances select realtime.

What you are doing is setting windows to give a bit more processing time to that application over any other (or a bit less if appropriate), helps the performance of that application at the cost of performance of other applications, which on realtime seems to impact several basic operating system tasks too, gets to the point where if you cant quit the realtime program (which may rely on non realtime processes which also cant run so may get stuck itself) the only way to get rid of it is turn the PC off and on again (windows will reset the priority to normal again).

I would try whacking it to above normal, wouldnt bother with high as that also has issues sometimes. Try high if you want, I just wouldnt, if it works it works, if it buggers things up just reboot or persevere until you can set it back to normal again (seriously, dont close task manager or you will have to fight BeamNG just to get task manager open sometimes :p ). More CPU cores does help with processor priority stability at least.

Battery may suffer, think I've mentioned system stability enough. But if it works then performance can be great. minecraft went from 9 to 23fps on my old single core laptop just from setting java priority to high (at the cost of not being able to close java or use any other application at all) or 17 on above normal. Rock and roll. New laptop I have yet to try processor priority actually.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice