1. Intel iGPU (6xx series) crashes
    Fixed drivers available!
    Instructions here

Dismiss Notice

View of American Trains

Discussion in 'BeamNG.drive Trains' started by Amtrak America, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Amtrak America

Amtrak America
    Expand Collapse

In the 1930's, America probably had the most luxurious and most advanced trains in the world. People then add, "Then Amtrak happened." Unfortunately people forget how great Amtrak really is and how it saved passenger trains. Sure, in the early 1970's things were a bit rocky, but the company was brand new. Now Amtrak is revolutionizing the way we travel. We now have 165 mph trains in the Northeast, 135 mph regionals, 110 mph conventional trains, and just yesterday, Amtrak just sealed a deal with Alstom for the next generation of Acela trainsets that are planned to reach 200+ mph. But why do people criticize Amtrak? Becuase our trains don't go 350 mph. A lot of people compare the United States trains to France's. There is just one flaw with that logic. The US is much bigger than France and cities in the US are spaced much farther apart. It's like comparing a Prius to a Semi. But 120 mph is plenty fast, and keep in mind these are diesels. If you keep going faster and faster, the attraction of seeing scenery when riding the train disappears. Even so, some of Amtraks most scenic trains can get up to 90 mph. Amtrak stated, "The cost just to update the Northeast Corridor to French specifications would cost $151,000,000,000. Most of the cost is due to raising current tracks to elevated tracks". America doesn't need that. We can just upgrade our tracks that our on the ground which Amtrak is currently planning. Next people compare it to Japan. The problem is 92% of Japan never sees a train that reaches 50 mph. With America it's the opposite. All of our (Passenger) diesel locomotives can reach 110 mph or more. So Amtrak is doing a pretty good job. Share your opinions.

2. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

-cough- I'm getting.... -cough- ....I think there is another.... -cough- ....out break of.... -cough- .....NaxNiritus -cough-

3. CarBro74

CarBro74
    Expand Collapse

Actually that would be a great comparision. Semis are slow and aren't fuel efficent. Just like the Prius!

4. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

Hey! Leave my Prius alone!

5. Amtrak America

Amtrak America
    Expand Collapse

I think you are missing the point. I'm comparing size wise.

6. CarBro74

CarBro74
    Expand Collapse

I know that. But comparing to all those technical things that would be a great comparision.

7. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

Well, let's see
    Prius
    -looks like an obese lambo
    -slow
    -aerodynamic?

Semi
    -Badass for ramming things
    -also slow
    -TURBOS!!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. CarBro74

CarBro74
    Expand Collapse

A Prius can ram a cinderblock and it could do damage to the cinderblock.

9. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

A semi can run over a cinder block like a beast
    --- Post updated ---
    And have 'cosmetic' damage

10. Amtrak America

Amtrak America
    Expand Collapse

Amtrak can smash both of them and barely have a scratch on the coupler.

11. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

Well, am Amtrak train can

12. Otto von Biscuit

Otto von Biscuit
    Expand Collapse

I KNOW THAT I "BUMP" RN BUT WHO CARES THIS ENTIRE CLOSED OFF GROUP IS DEAD ANYWAYS.

This is a sort of public message to @Amtrak America

Umm. No. Google the Compagnie-Internationale-des-wasgons-lits. CIWL. They improved on the Pullman Concept and provided a way better service. Thats for Luxury.
    And now for technology: DRG SVT 877 (SVT 137 Class). German 1933 DMU running in regular service between Berlin and Hamburg (268km). The trip back then took around 138 minutes it was beaten in 1997 by a 2nd generation ICE that needed 132min. today the travel time is 98mins. The Swiss at the same time were running their mountain pass routes completely electric through an awful lot of tunnels and over heaps of bridges with fast passenger services running over 120kmph over the curvy routes.

No regular service train does. The JR L0 Maglev Experimental reached around 375mph and the V150 TGV Record Train reched 357mph. those were both special World Record / Experimental Trains.
    And Providing a Good Train service means much more than just Going fast. it means providing a comfortable ride and enjoyable experience with on time services and friendly staff as well as neat and clean vehicles.

What has size to do with that. the SNCF gets their shit done better than Amtrak does. their Trains run on time, run safer and faster due to proper organization. Ofc the distances are shorter and your travel time is shorter between Paris and Marseille than between NYC and LA. But nobody would complain if Amtrak would provide the same quality service as the SNCF does.

Where do the french have elevated track? they use a invention called fence.

Then the same 10.1 million people drive back and forth on JRs Rail network. Where did you even get that number?? A normal Green Car Shinkansen ticket (Economy) for a distance over 701km costs 5.041 Yen. that comes to about 46 USD. Nobody in japan who needs to travel can spare 46 USD. Its horrendously expensive.

MIghty impressive specs. But the speed is today rarely reached in the US.
    The Brits did a better job 40 Years ago with building the HST/ InterCity 125 /BR TOPS Class 43. Operational speed 125mph, fastest reached speed 148mph

According to Wikipedia thats 150mph on the Acela NEC
    up to 125 on the NE Regional (also only on the NEC)
    and 79mph on other trains outside the NEC
    The only high speed stretch america has is the Northeast Corridor between Washington and Boston with the top 150mph only allowed on a few sections in MS and RI.

And no. Amtrak isn't revolutionising anything. In fact Amtrak is only buying up technology from Europe (Mainly Siemens).
    Even NJT has more modern rolling stock than Amtrak.

@Amtrak America Please Please Research and Inform yourself before ranting about a topic.

#12 Otto von Biscuit, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

You got a point, hope he can fix it up a bit

14. Otto von Biscuit

Otto von Biscuit
    Expand Collapse

I just found this group. after seeing a video from grey where he used a Empire Bay Tranport metro car from Mafia II

15. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

Kk

Amtrak will be on soon for his weekly visit on here.....

Then I guess you can sort this out with him

16. Otto von Biscuit

Otto von Biscuit
    Expand Collapse

i feel like im getting a lot of warning points.

17. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

Warning 1. This is a touchy subject, compare it to making a Jew joke at a concentration camp
    Warning 2. It's not to late, you can back out of it now, and ignore it
    Warning 3. The last guy to do something like this is someone who posted a video of why American trains suck, he got nuked

18. Otto von Biscuit

Otto von Biscuit
    Expand Collapse

I guess i dont care. Im doing nothing dangerous. im reciting facts and im neither using provocative language nor offending people.

19. Amtrak America

Amtrak America
    Expand Collapse

Don't care if I'm bumping.
    Wikipedia? Lol. That's a joke. 79 Mph on all trains outside of the NEC? Lies. The Southwest Chief which is a long distance double decker train reaches 90 MPH and several routes in the Midwest such as the Wolverine, Pere Marquette, and the Blue Water all reach 110 mph. Also, the Pacific Surfliner trains reach 90 most of their route in California. Also, yes size has a big deal with this. Updating all of the lines in the US to Frances standards would cost an unimaginable amount of money considering the shoestring that Amtrak runs on. Again, the Acela has recently been cleared to reach 165 mph in service as it did in testing in 2015 where it reached 170.7 mph. Lol Amtrak buying from Europe? 70 ACS-64 locomotives and 69 Charger lcomotives isn't Amtraks whole fleet. Amtrak consist mainly of American designed and built locomotives such as the P32AC-DM, P40DC, P42DC, P32-8BWH, F59PHi and many more. And 92% of Japan (LOCATION) wise never seen a train that operates in excess of 50 mph. I wasn't referring to the population. And uhh, who said Amtrak was dirty?

20. Otto von Biscuit

Otto von Biscuit
    Expand Collapse

Youre not bumping. You are OP and Okay maybe the Amtrak trains run above the Trackspeed i dont know.. thats what i can find out based on my sources.

Again source please.
    Millions of Japanese commuters use the Shinkansen network everyday, because its not the same as a "normal" high speed train in the west. Essentially it is a Very Fast Regional. And JR Trains (except the Shkinansen) are all classified as either Railway (Normal trains, metros etc..) or Tramway (Trams). Railways are classified as Express-, Limited Express- (Better and faster than express) and then on regional networks there are Semi-, Rapid-, Section-, Commuter- types of trains. For example, the Tobu Isesaki Line (75.0km) has Local, Section Semi-Express, Semi-Express, Section Express, Express, Rapid, Section Rapid, and Limited Express Trains.
    All of those trains operate above 120kmph (75mph). So all trains in japan are capable of over 50mph easily, sure there are trains that run slower than that but these are limited to the downtown lines of e.g. the Tokyo Metro where stations are sometimes less than 500m (1500ft) apart and where the fully loaded trains don't have time or a reason to accelerate above 50mph.

Are you sure you mean Japan and not China or India?

Nobody said that Amtrak has to do that. I know how expensive that would be. I talked bout the general experience that the SNCF Provides. (I have ridden a TGV. I know the service)

There i was talking about innovation. the Genesis Line is a Class of Standard Diesel Locomotives. also large Parts of Genesis the come from overseas e.g. the Trucks are from Krupp-MaK, As well as the Cab Equipment from GRS Traction motors are a Licensed ABB Design...

Yea who said that? Because i didnt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice