VW Polo R WRC

Discussion in 'Community Mods - Archived' started by Jalkku, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Jalkku

Jalkku
    Expand Collapse

Hello everyone.

I'm know as Jalkku and some of you might know me from the ror forums. This is my long waited first post to the Beamng forums :)

Anyways, this is my current project for Beamng. The car is supposed to be Jari-Matti Latvala's WRC polo. You might have seen some pics of this vehicle on Rigs of Rods forums. You might now ask, why did I post stuff there and why do I now post stuff here? Well, at first this was supposed to be 100% beamng project. I wasn't really sure if I wanted to export it to Rigs of Rods and maybe even release it for ror. I even did slap it to my previous project's, Audi a4's n/b-stucture and tried to get it fit and whatnot. Well, it didn't really turn out too well since an Audi a4 and a WRC car aren't really too similar kind of cars. I also now realize that I want to try and make some of the stuff that beamng allows me to do and ror doesn't, such as more polygons and normalmapping.

So here we are, the current state of the project. Exterior mesh pretty much done apart from some fixes and what not. I also modeled a rough engine and some interior bits. There's still a ton of mesh errors. I tried normalmapping on the vw-emblem and the brake discs. For now they are pretty bad and since I have to uv-map everything I'll propably remake those as well. I don't want to rush this project and it might take some time because I'm applying to university this spring/summer so I don't have *too* much time for projects like this. Anyways, I'll update this thread from now on if I have something to show you :)

And yeah, don't expect similar quality from me as you would from Myhtbuster or Gabester, this is in overall my 3rd started vehicle model.

Some pictures:

Attached Files:

• polo29.jpg
    • polo31.jpg
    • polo32.jpg
    #1 Jalkku, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Binkey

Binkey
    Expand Collapse

WOW! Amazing job, I sense skill in this one.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. youdidwhat!!

youdidwhat!!
    Expand Collapse

wow noce i think i got a cargasm

4. D0ntstare

D0ntstare
    Expand Collapse

Funny as I watched the GRC today I thought, WOW I think I might chuck a vehicle suggestion out to the devs to see if they can think about including a similar style of track, and possibly even a few modified rally versions of the more racy versions of vehicle that are already done. Then I come on the forums and voila! you have bloody well gone and made a stunning one. I absolutely cant wait to see how this turns out in all its glory and looking forward to blasting it around a track.

5. JohnV

JohnV
    Expand Collapse

Omg, that looks really nice! You can't imagine how much I love this car!:D And a rally version... you blew me away now, lol.

6. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

So you took my advice and made it for BeamNG after all eh? ;) Looking great man. Front definitely looks better now, but it seems like the fenders are a bit weird, near the door at the bottom? It's angled, doesn't look quite right. Also, the front bumper seems to need some adjusting still, but I assume you're still working on that a little. And the springs are wayyyyyy too thin :p

Other than that, you're doing a fantastic job, keep going! :) I'll talk to you via Skype obviously, but yeah...

Oh, and something Gabester reminded me of in my thread: Don't forget you can use normalmaps now :D

#6 Mythbuster, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  7. Jalkku

Jalkku
    Expand Collapse

There's a ton of mesh errors, apparently I can't do anything without having to recreate it at some point ;) Yeah, the springs are pretty horrible, I'm remaking most of the running gear.

I'm using normal maps too, or at least trying to :)

Remade the brake discs and calibers and added normalmaps for them. Mythbuster found some serious reference pictures for me earlier, and I even did take the disc and the caliber textures from them. That required a lot of photoshop though! :D I've made the normalmaps with photoshop filter for now, I'll try in future to actually import them from a highpoly object :)

Attached Files:

• polo33.jpg
    • polo34.jpg
    • polo35.jpg
  8. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Man those brake discs are absurdly high res :confused: Think about how big they'll actually be in-game

9. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Dayum, looks like i am going to have to buy a couple of gtx titans/7990s to run this car :p

By the way the car looks awesome, I love rally racing and this car will make beamNG 10x more fun for me provided i can get some form of fps out of it on anything less than a supercomputer.

10. crimsonskull

crimsonskull
    Expand Collapse

rally cars fuck yeah!

11. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

It's good to finally see a car built mainly for speed. (I know there's a supercar, but it's from the 60s and probably has no more than 260 HP)

12. Gouranga

Gouranga
    Expand Collapse

How are you going to make textures? Will you make a normal map for the whole car or just half of it (mirrored) and have different UV coordinates for the diffuse layer? If it is even possible, anyway.

13. oophus

oophus
    Expand Collapse

Do you need UV tiles for the different maps for the Torque3D engine?

14. Gouranga

Gouranga
    Expand Collapse

Well, I was asking that because I don't know how Torque3D handles these things. I also have a rally car on my hard drive which, provided I have enough spare time, I'd like to finish.

15. Jalkku

Jalkku
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the feedback! :)

I'm in a bad habit of making everything multiple times, including textures. I will definitely resize (and adjust) them later :)

The car has now only 15k polys, I don't think it's not going to be too performance eater :) Thanks :)

I'm propably going to uv the whole car individually and use the same uv-layout for all of the textures. Since it's going to have a custom livery I can't really use the mirrored textures for the other side.

I don't really know how torque3d works either I haven't really messed with it yet, stay tuned :)

16. oophus

oophus
    Expand Collapse

Looks like you've used a 2K texture just for the braking disks though. ^^ Looks awesome, but its a bit much maybe. :p

I would have UV'ed the whole car within a single 2K texture. Some things don't need space at all since they'll just be small parts that will be hidden, like metallic bars and such, and then just focus on the stuff you need details on. Like the body of the car if you want decals with font on it, for it to be read properly.

17. TheKitten

TheKitten
    Expand Collapse

Jalkku great job as always. The power of the polo is like 300ish?

18. luke198

luke198
    Expand Collapse

Looks awesome! I will definitely be keeping an eye on this one.:)

This is just a suggestion, but would you be able to make Ken Block's gymkhana Ford Fiesta? (or anyone else who is interested;))

19. RyujiSenpai

RyujiSenpai
    Expand Collapse

Rallying, the most thing that i wanted in this simulator.

20. Jeremywilder

Jeremywilder
    Expand Collapse

When I did my modeling I used google sketchup is this a good program to use ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice