1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Were LOD changes made?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by krallopian, May 24, 2019.

1. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

For instance after this last patch suddenly my walls, curbs, and other "stock" models are all disappearing at minimum range. They're from my level's directory though so there's no modified files I assume, it must be something to do with the overall game settings?

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Nope, only the things mentioned in the changelog.
    Can we have some screenshots? How are your objects LODs set up (the ranges)

3. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

I changed my graphics from HIGH to NORMAL to see if there was a difference and I noticed LODs changed. Then I changed it back to high, no change, then restarted the game, and same thing, no change! It's gotta be on my end then - trees and various models are very noticeably fading in, and also completely invisible at ~500m when before they were visible from across the map at their lowest lod.

As long as I know it's not a changelog thing, I'll investigate further =) Thanks!

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Did you edit LOD distance from in game editor? What you are seeing sounds like what can happen with it sometimes, that writes .cs file next to actual model file, but despite LOD override on that .cs file actual ingame LOD I could not seeing to be changed, but when changed LOD pixels in Blender (name of LOD) it worked like a charm.

Not really sure why that did happen, but somehow I don't trust those overrides to work always.

5. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

As I said I didn't change anything, I only noticed it after the update, which was also the same time I changed gfx from high to normal. After changing BACK to high, the lods were still funky. I've also noticed that with each update my custom lods on game models (that I have in my level directory) are always reset, and I always had to redo their settings.

For instance I've had guardrails that you can see from 1000 meters, but with each new update they would revert to their original lod settings, EVEN THOUGH they had their dang .cs files in my shapes dir.

6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Exactly that is the problem, if you don't set LODs in 3d editor, but you set them in game, they will keep doing that, you don't need to change anything, it is enough you set them ingame editor and they will change, that dang .cs override is very much thing to avoid, it is not reliable. There is reason why never touch ingame material or object editors, they might sound tempting easy solution, but this exactly is what they result, if you set LOD distance in 3d editor instead, it does stay and work same way as long as you don't make that dang .cs override with ingame editor :D

7. thomatoes50

thomatoes50
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

in BeamNG.drive\settings\game-settings.cs

check the values of
    Code:
    $pref::TS::smallestVisiblePixelSize = "-1";
    for me it was set to 25 because of dev builds, set to -1 if it's different

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Fufs, not sure what you're saying: I set the lods in the world editor from within the model.

As for checking the game-settings, I have -1 there :(

It's not the end of the world for me, if anything it just makes things run smoother hah, but I'd like to think I'm the one that's in control of it! Take the rock cliffs from Italy for instance, I have myLevel\shapes\imported\rockCliffs.dae lets say. I suspect it won't have any changes made through updates, yet the .cs that's created when I change it's LOD settings, seems to no longer take affect upon updating the game! I've had to change it back to my own settings multiple times through development! Since January, whenever there's been an update my first thought has been, "Awesome! But... I'll have to change the dang lod settings again!"

I hadn't noticed the walls that I used disappearing ever, but after that last update the other day (yesterday?) they certainly disappear quickly.
    --- Post updated ---
    (what's funny is my italy_rockface_tall_wide.cs shows last updated Feb 2 2019 though! oof. Back to my original point: If the newest update didn't change anything engine wise then there's clearly something happening on my end I'm happy to go through it myself! Sorry to drag this on guys.)

9. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I'm saying that do not set your lods in world editor, set them in Blender/Maya only, will save you in the long run, even that you need to do jumps back and forth to get LOD changed, but at least it will stay that way :D

10. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

OH! =D
    --- Post updated ---
    For my own custom models I've had no issues. It's the models that I've stolen from the other levels and put into my level's directory that keep resetting, and they were the ones I was adjusting so I could see curbs/walls/fences/rocks off in the distance.

11. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, you probably want bit more LOD distance for ripped content, but you might need to re-export them or edit .dae file with notepad++ to change names so LOD distance actually stay where you set them.

If you re-export vanilla meshes, then with Blender that is really easy, not sure how Maya would handle setting shading to smooth and then add edge split modifier, otherwise it is flat shading or too smooth.

I hope that it is as easy or easier with Maya, but I think it is worth of experiment as LOD set in mesh name is sticking always and that is what it resets to when game updates or for some other reason .cs is not read.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice