1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

West Coast USA... (Old thread)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stynger, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Zero

Zero
    Expand Collapse

I think it's cool.. It does what it was intended to pretty well, and explored limits.
    I also think it's nice, the fact that you can put a race car on a trailer, and drive it yourself to the race track rather than it being a separate map.

Since so many other maps got reworked, it will be too some day.

But again, the layout and all is great imo.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. rli98

rli98
    Expand Collapse

For me, in terms of 'layout' or 'feel', I think the map is fine. I like driving around the city, the suburbs, the outskirts/forest, flooring it on the racetrack and highway, and the variety and detail of the various landmarks and areas is something that other maps lack.

However, my main complaint about the map is its size. While I do like the overall design and feel of the map, like most of y'all, I indeed feel the map is too small to be enjoyed thoroughly. The highway, the city and the outskirts can be traversed so quickly that it feels very underwhelming. I also agree about the dead ends as they make the map feel claustrophobic and unfinished.

So, for my suggestions to the devs, keep the existing areas of the map as it is (I don't feel there is a need to move around or separate certain areas like other players are suggesting, like the racetrack), but expand upon them, like make the city, suburbs and forest larger. I think the overall size of the map should be expanded from its current 2048x2048m dimensions.

Also, removing the abrupt dead ends on the highway by looping them could work as a solution.

Obviously, this may not be immediately possible due to current technical limitations but I do hope to some form of these improvements in the future.

3. JowoHD

JowoHD
    Expand Collapse

i like west coast usa, it was my "goal map" to run when i bought my pc and as the devs have said they're gonna improve optimisation i'm not gonna mention that.
    my main problem however is possibly the opposite to most, it feels like the devs bit off more than they can chew when making the map that size. whenever i drive into the city, ignoring some of the faults, i often find myself loving it and driving around for a while and... i hit an obvious cut off point with the orange road-work barriers. it feels so artificial, like im in some cartoon racer where everything outside of the city race track is blocked off. i'd much rather they move the city around, make the racetrack smaller or even make the city smaller if it came to what felt like a natural end. my biggest problem is they've made it feel like like you're in a small part of a much larger world which is blocked off beyond your reach where personally i'd rather they made the map feel like it IS the world, where there's a whole city and whole bridge and whole highway even if they're smaller, and no obvious blocked-off roads.
    this is just my two cents, i understand some people may have had enough with islands but the best thing about an island is you can put everything there and ignore the rest of the world, you dont have to break the immersion by cutting off everything that would've led to a place that doesn't actually exist

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. esesel

esesel
    Expand Collapse

Can someone explain to me why the maximum world size is 4km by 4km, there are some modded maps that push that to 12 by 12 but they lack smoothness... I know this is related to height maps but is there a way to make even bigger maps without sacrificing detail?

5. robert357

robert357
    Expand Collapse

Performance? People have problem running 2x2 maps, most of them can't run Italy at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. KrukasKlep

KrukasKlep
    Expand Collapse

Most people ignore the minimum specs and run it on their moms laptop.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  7. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

it's to do with the resolution of the heightmaps. the big maps (16x16, etc) just use a scaled up 4x4 or 2x2 resolution heightmap.

8. esesel

esesel
    Expand Collapse

But why can't the height map be a higher resolution?

9. Nathan24™

Nathan24™
    Expand Collapse

Instead of the highway stretching from one end of the map and ending at the other, what about a highway that loops around the map kind of like how the high-speed track is set up in Gridmap? It would offer scenic views of the map while you're cruising around 100mph on the highway.

#89 Nathan24™, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  10. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

I've updated my version of improved Big WCA. It's still nowhere near finished, but hey:
    upload_2020-4-14_18-59-8.png

Added:

*A new park, called Millings Park

*A new town to the north, called "Cherry Town", with an airfield called "Fink Field" and a dirt road area

*A new port to the south

*A Lombard-esque street in the center

*Much more freeway to the north

*More roads around the Crater Lake analogue

*A train yard

Improved:

*Belasco International Airport (BLX) (made smaller and with more runways)

*Northern suburbs (more roads in that area)

*The center of Belasco (much cleaner and neater)

Also, yes, I've taken some inspiration from GTA 5 with Cherry Town and the shape of BLX. Again, all suggestions are welcome.

#90 DriftinCovet1987, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  11. cars246

cars246
    Expand Collapse

Good luck! Looking forward to it.

12. BeamNG.Lover2002

BeamNG.Lover2002
    Expand Collapse

it is my favourite map due to the large city area, But it isn't much multipurpose in this map, I kinda wish there were the occasional dirt roads and offroad tracks that end and you can drive through the bush till you find a road again

13. crazikyle

crazikyle
    Expand Collapse

I love the open fields in Italy, that's my favorite aspect of the map. It's so much fun to thrash an offroad car through those fields and try no to lose it, and its also a ton of fun to take an improperly equipped street car and lose control into those fields. I wish more maps had open spaces like those fields, because its no fun to lose control and crash into a tree or building at 80mph. I'd rather lose control into an open field and roll my car; the destruction in that case is far more satisfying.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

I think you are overlooking at an important detail.
    Heightmaps can up to 4096x4096m.
    West Coast is a 2048x2048m level, with a 4K heightmaps.
    Means the detail is 0.5m per pixel.

Your concept is... way too big. You will really soon hit problems such as:
    - Memory issues
    - Loss of details (a 4K heghtmap across 12km is 3m per pixel)
    - Again, memory issues of all kind

how.jpg
    (approx.)

Also another tiny detail. Making the map just bigger implies you need to populate those areas as well.
    Which means more objects, decals and so on, making the map inevitable much heavier on resources in all possible ways.

• Agree Agree x 17
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. KrukasKlep

KrukasKlep
    Expand Collapse

Reimagining the map to 4x4km like Italy would just be the most sensible option, because then the map would be able to spread out its plans alot better without trying to cramp in some last minute details on a pretty crowded space. The flow of the map is very important for driving enjoyment.

• Agree Agree x 11
  16. robert357

robert357
    Expand Collapse

Rebuilding WCUSA would take too much time and effort. Better option is just polish it (there are a lot of things that need to be fixed) and then make Belasco South and rename this map for Belasco North and make somewhere one road that would work as a loading zone between two of them.

• Agree Agree x 6
  17. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Did anybody say "dream West Coast USA map"?

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. combatwombat96

combatwombat96
    Expand Collapse

you got some big dreams there alright

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Well, I would also like to have some 800 cars, 100 boats and 50 aircraft to go with it.

• Like Like x 3
  20. combatwombat96

combatwombat96
    Expand Collapse

if only dreams came true (not saying they don't but, well... you know)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice