What did you do to your vehicle today?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by BBQ, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

I had to push my scoot scoot home.

Piece of shit.

2. ItaliAsian

ItaliAsian
    Expand Collapse

Bring a small towel to cover it when it is in the sun, or unscrew it and put out of the way of the sun. Those metal shift knobs get super hot super quickly, I have nearly given my self burns with my shift knob.

3. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Turns out I pinched a vacuum line to the fuel thingy when I put the seat back on so it died after the gas in the line was used up. :|

As for the idle issue, I doubt it's the AFR (Engine manufacturer put a cap over the screw anyway so I can't adjust it without drilling through it.) but I also don't think it's a vacuum leak. I really don't know what it is at this point.

4. Brett

Brett
    Expand Collapse

VG30E?

Mine needs to be rebuilt, almost 200k rough miles.

Attached Files:

• nGc5wWd.jpg
  5. BBQ

BBQ
    Expand Collapse

Soo, the car I was gonna buy was a 1990 Audi Coupe 2.3 that was white. It looked very good on the pictures, but in real life, up close...much worse. Interior was very worn and some interior bits were loose. Some disturbing noises came from the front suspension when turning. One/several gearbox/engine mounts were bad and made the exhaust bang against the subframe while driving.
    So that was a big disappointment. I was expecting to drive it home with a smile on my face. Apparently not...

6. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

That's a real shame, and is quite sad to hear of such a nice car being abused to that stage. Those Coupés are absolutely gorgeous, and I would have no problem listening to that 5 cylinder sing all day!

Not sure if I'd daily one though. It was designed and manufactured in that weird transitional period just before Audi revolutionised its brand, design, and manufacturing processes, so you have the responsibility of keeping a proper piece of automotive history in good condition.

Good luck with the car hunt :)

7. BBQ

BBQ
    Expand Collapse

I just can't fathom how people let nice cars go to complete shit because they're too f***ing lazy to do simple maintenance.

If I could back to 1990 and buy a new Audi Coupe, it would probably look nearly like new even today. Sure, cars do get worn, but it's not normal when everything in the car clunks and just falls apart.

8. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

I started fixing the big paint spots on my door last weekend. It's now finished.
    Sanded the paint down around all of the spots so I had no rough flaking edges to paint over.
    QtSOJsY.png
    I then put primer on that whole rectangular area, then a couple coats of paint and clearcoat.
    I'm pretty happy with it.
    Qw4wDT0.png
    The new paint has an almost beige-ish look to it. It kinda looks like its turning more white as it cures and shit, though.
    1sk845j.png
    There's also that little blotch of primer that never really got covered up for some reason. I can probably just wet sand it back down to the factory paint.
    1gXgrU4.png
    Also saw this very familiar '05 sitting behind a midas. Could tell from the shadows on the side that it came from the same department as mine. The owner came outside and looked at mine as it sat idling in the parking lot. We chatted about crown vics. He says he plans to paint his black.
    Panthers have a cult following.

9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Panthers need a tremec

10. BBQ

BBQ
    Expand Collapse

Two days ago I finally went and bought a new car!

It's a....

*drum roll*

1991 Mercedes-Benz 190E with the 1.8 gasoline engine. It has run just over 300kkm Manual of course. And it's red :D It's not in the best nick but it's far from bad.
    The paint was real faded when I first got it, more pink than red. But yesterday, me and dad used rubbing compound all over the car and now it's red again :) Still not done though because tomorrow I will wax it and make it shine even more.
    So therefore I will wait with the pictures until I'm done with the polishing!

11. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

(imported from here)

Jokes aside, congratulations on the Merc! Those old tanks are pretty much indestructible and are tonnes of fun ;)

12. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

When I came home yesterday after going out to eat I noticed a puddle of oil on the ground that looked like it came from the diff. Great, another leak :|
    Stuck a piece of cardboard under it to catch any more fluid that dripped down before I could tend to it. Got home today and there wasn't any fresh fluid on the cardboard or floor. Took the fill plug out and reached my finger inside. Couldn't feel any fluid with my finger. At this point I was worried that I wrecked my rear end running it dry.
    Popped the diff cover off and was relieved when a bunch of oil came pouring out. I made a royal mess of it all though.
    I know the diff itself had enough fluid in it to splash lubricate itself, but I'm worried that the level was low enough for the axles to not be getting any lube.
    Even if they weren't, it was only driven a couple miles with a low fluid level so I doubt it would've done much damage. I'll pull them out to inspect em, just for sake of mind.
    The diff hasn't ever leaked a drop, it's hardly even shiny on the outside. It was leaking from where the driveshaft goes in on the front. This happened after I got home from doing some donuts in a big grass field, so maybe that blew out the seal. Or maybe the vent clogged up and it's pushing fluid out.
    I don't know, I need to do some more investigation.
    Panthers aren't known to be very leaky cars, I don't know why this one has so many of them.

13. S54B32

S54B32
    Expand Collapse

I removed the valve cover, valve cover gasket, and oxygen sensor yesterday. I found out that the valve cover was surprisingly loose, and that the valve cover gasket visually seemed fine. I also found out that I had ordered the wrong oxygen sensor, so there's that. :rolleyes: Here's how it sits at the moment, I hope I can get it running well before next Monday. The engine bay is an absolute mess right now, I'm definitely going to have to hit it with engine degreaser after I finish.
    1KZWdIy.jpg

14. BBQ

BBQ
    Expand Collapse

Have some pink Mercedes. The car is red now, these are old pics.

KzTfULv.jpg

2tXFgIh.jpg

15. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

(imported from here)

These rims are called Avus II. The paint I sprayed is called Avus Silver.

Avus Silver is not the correct paint for the Avus Rims.

What the literal fuck, Audi.

16. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

My dad drove his Focus into my Ranger yesterday...

FocusDent.jpg

RangerDent (1).jpg

17. Zero

Zero
    Expand Collapse

18. S54B32

S54B32
    Expand Collapse

I just finished hardwiring my dash camera. I tapped into the rain sensor fuse and drilled a small hole into a metal bracket behind the glovebox for ground. I'm really glad I don't have that ugly 12V adapter in the center console getting in the way of everything, and that I can just forget about having to plug it in before I start driving.
    5gYxdEz.jpg

19. BBQ

BBQ
    Expand Collapse

Yesterday I finished installing cables to the trunk for an amplifier and sub. It's such an addition to the two speakers in the dash which I also changed out a few days ago. New headunit too since my old one shorted shortly after putting it in...
    And I'm still waiting for my clutch slave cylinder from Germany. Should be here tomorrow.

20. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

The other day I took the vent off of the diff of the crown vic to see if it was clogged up. It was. I blew some compressed air through it and got all of the crap out of it. It worked well after that, it would easily let air out of it but it wouldn't let air in. I reinstalled it and hoped for the best. It didn't stop. It's leaking like a damn sieve. But, yesterday when I took the fill plug out to check the level, air came rushing out of it. So that means air is trapped inside of it even though I fixed the vent a couple days ago. I guess I'll be taking the vent back off.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice