What do you think of amd ZEN cpu lineup

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Node, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Node

Node
    Expand Collapse

I was interested to know all of your opinions about the new cpus from amd about to come out.

2. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

We don't know. They haven't been released.

3. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

I know my ass is getting one along with another r480 for vr next year. I want to hold out for the next generation headsets because they will be AT LEAST 4k res but I won't make it past 2017.

4. CentralContact

CentralContact
    Expand Collapse

I think AMD has stepped up there game, Especially with consumer grade 8 core 16 thread CPUs running the new architecture, Very tempted to get my hands on the top end one and have a little play. Intel might have a challenger once again if AMD releases what the promise.

5. Poopoh12

Poopoh12
    Expand Collapse

It sounds good, Core i7 6900K performance, but for 500 to 800 (That's whats being rumored) I can't afford one lol. 200 bucks is pushing it for me lol

6. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

From all the blender-render benchmarks, I'd give it a pretty good estimate that there will be some sweet multi-car Beamng.drive performance to be had. Even if it's 80~90% as fast as an intel it'll still be good. Benchmarks that I've seen, are all listing it as hanging in there with the same clockspeed intel chips, and sometimes beating them by 5~10%. THIS IS WITH A LOWER TDP (WATTAGE)!!!! <--- YES!

Also, from what I've heard overseas, this is one to wait for. I know some folks down at Asus, who worked there for many many 'moons'. They say wait it out.

No harm in that I'd say. 2nd week of January (in two weeks or so), www.guru3d.com will have it and Anandtech will too.

7. Poopoh12

Poopoh12
    Expand Collapse

It'd better not be only 80 to 90 percent of the performance for 500 to 800 bucks, the new Intel Core i7 is only launching at 360 I believe.

8. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Well it's supposed to beat intel by a few % at lower wattage on 8-core vs 8-core tests on a blender render, at equal clocks. I am however, unable to test first hand myself as like most people, I don't have it on my desk right now. I am err'ing on the side of caution here as to avoid shoveling more coal into the hype train like I had to shovel coal into my ancient AMD FX-powered PC to keep it going. Blender render tests, are usually a pretty good indicator of some of the factors of Beamng.drive performance... so not much else to say on that.
    The chip comparable to the 360$ i-7 is launching below that price, a decent step below that price. The 500$ launch of the AMD chip is purportedly going to compete against an 8-core intel that's twice as expensive and a higher TDP. Nothing is set in stone, this is all speculative.

9. Poopoh12

Poopoh12
    Expand Collapse

We don't even know what AMD chips are going to be released, Intel has the full chart of CPU's done, with their respective prices, all I have heard from AMD is that the prices will range from 500 to 800 dollars, so I guess we have to wait until they all get released. I'm a huge fan of both AMD and Intel, I have both an AMD GPU and CPU in my PC right now, and upgrading to an Intel CPU soon, (Don't really like Nvidia, they price things retardedly) I would love to see AMD beat Intel for once, but not for the prices that I have heard. Especially with the speculation of both Intel and AMD only being officially supported by Windows 10.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice