1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

What do you think the Wiki needs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrowsySam, Jul 29, 2014.

1. DrowsySam

DrowsySam
    Expand Collapse

I've been working on the wiki a bit lately, to help give an understanding of Jbeam etc. My goal is to make it easier for new modders to learn.

So I'd like to hear from the community, what would YOU like to see, or you think needs adding?

2. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

to be honest....I think more information on the vehicles like a performance charts or something like that I am not sure if thats doable at this stage in development...

3. bits&bytes

bits&bytes
    Expand Collapse

I like to see more information about code modding into lua or C#. For example a list of standard functions and how you can use them.

For example, I saw the function "BeamEngine:getSlot(0):getPosition" which returns the x, y, z position of Car(0).
    I was looking for a function that does the opposite: Moving a car to a certain position. Don't know if it exists or not.

4. chris_lucas

chris_lucas
    Expand Collapse

Better explanation for suspension.

5. daniel_j

daniel_j
    Expand Collapse

A page describing the role of the IRC channel with examples of basic bot commands people can use to help themselves while people aren't talking.

6. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

I would like to learn proper suspension values, but since it's just "Fuck with it until it works", there might not be a proper guide to it.

But seriously, for me it might be a measurement system for real world values to Jbeam values.

7. SoHigh00

SoHigh00
    Expand Collapse

I know it would take a lot of time to do and perhaps won't be possible, but I would love to see an in depth tutorial showing the step-by-step creation of a car. (modeling excluded since that would take ages... you could maybe post some links to good existing tutorials though or suggest Google)

Maybe, if you think of creating a new car for the game somewhere in the future, you could, simultaneously, make a tutorial with the step-by-step creation of that certain car's jbeam. You could numerate the steps (so people can ask questions about the step they are stuck on -> then add a FAQ) You could also link to the already existing wiki pages so you don't have to type the same stuff twice... like for example:

1. First, we are going to...you need to make sure to...to have a better understanding of the nodes read the following link:
    Nodes

The wiki is very good and I appreciate the many sections with their in-depth explanation..The only problem I have is the beginning of a project...How do I start and how to apply the knowledge I just red on the wiki...what order? It's not easy to orientate(for me at least), especially if you weren't around during the RoR times.

Thanks for the offer by the way and good luck :)

8. Keepermaster

Keepermaster
    Expand Collapse

haw 3 put mesh onn marshel jbem

Or, to be more contributing: How to keep a nice poly flow. I am terrible at that point, and I clearly never learn how to.

9. BBQ

BBQ
    Expand Collapse

How to swap wheels.

10. Mr.Hankey

Mr.Hankey
    Expand Collapse

Exactly this! At least a basic documentation of the available classes/functions is what the Programming wiki section needs.

All it contains atm are the lua classes that I dumped over 5 months ago...

11. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

i would like to see
    1)how to jbeam wheels and suspension
    2)how to get good polyflow

12. rt389g@hotmail.c

rt389g@hotmail.c
    Expand Collapse

Details for objects in the world editor, like for example ocean wave direction, explain the three waves and how the configuration works. More detail on water configuration in general. Maybe creating new materials and how to get into the editor, etc. Maybe more info on lighting. More info on ways to create the sky and TOD. Just more depth in World editor in general.

13. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

It needs these things.

14. Cira

Cira
    Expand Collapse

15. Chernobyl

Chernobyl
    Expand Collapse

A daily joke.

16. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

Sketches of Gabester's concept cars.

17. Chernobyl

Chernobyl
    Expand Collapse

That would be 2 d4nk 4 m3

18. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

1) how to start jbeaming, even if it is in text editor (notepad etc)
    2) suspension values, what they mean
    3) rigidifiers, cross beams and node - to - node connections
    4) explaining deform groups and how/what they do (I already have an idea)
    5) weights and measures of beams/nodes
    6) proper shading and "polishing" of meshes (not a total overview of modelling, although that would be awesome)
    7) engine tuning and suspension tuning (mentioned 100x already)

Basically a bit more of jbeaming process and how to get (any) mesh model in game without the smoothing groups being broken, etc. And further explain multi-dae support. I am working on a 4wd covet and would like to know how to get the alternative drive train and suspensions selectable as parts in parts selector.

19. pickle330

pickle330
    Expand Collapse

A clear explanation of what refnodes are and how they are used. (although I think I might know now...) I haven't found anything clear about refnodes on the wiki and forum... and maybe more on internal cameras if it can be more clear.

20. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

It would be super cool to see something similar to ror book, since that was an incredibly useful resource.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice