What does the Community Think of an Official Monster Truck Chassis?

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by YellowRusty, May 21, 2017.

?

Is an Old-School Monster Truck Chassis something that you would like to see in the Official Game?

1. Yes. I'd gladly accept a major update with this being the only major piece of new content.

60.5%
  2. Yes, but there better also be a new car in the same update if this is ever added.

15.8%
  3. Kind of. It'd be nice to have, but there are other things that I'd like to see in-game first.

16.7%
  4. Kind of. It's probably something that should be done closer to the final release.

2.6%
  5. No. I'd rather the dev team spend their time doing something else.

4.4%
  1. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

With recent collision improvements preventing vehicles from clipping into each other, It is now quite possible to drive one vehicle over another without becoming stuck:

screenshot_00100.png screenshot_00101.png screenshot_00102.png

Unfortunately, the vehicles you see above represent the absolute pinnacle of car-crushing in the current version of the official game. 35" tires may be able to do the job, but you have to remove bumpers or risk getting hung up on the approach and departure. Given Beamng's impressive soft-body deformation, a true monster truck will be nearly a necessity for the final version of the game.

Now, there are two ways to go about adding in a monster truck, but one in particular stands out as being especially practical. The modern fiberglass-bodied, alcohol-fueled tube-chassis style of monster truck (the "new school") would require a full suite of complex parts, a entirely new Jbeam structure, and could prove difficult to maintain. In any case, @FLyInG 2 YoUr SoUL and his team have already done impressive work modding in a fantastic vehicle under this archetype.

The only other way to build a monster truck is to go the "old school" route. This is the classic recipe involving a stock body-on-frame vehicle, heavy duty axles, four high-flotation agricultural tires, huge springs, and a whack-ton of shock absorbers:

(picture from here)

(Second image retrieved from here)

Old School trucks aren't capable of the same massive leaps and sudden acceleration as New School trucks, but their relative ease of construction and maintenance has ensured they continue to be built and run in smaller events to this day. Most of them seem to have been constructed from the mid-eighties to the mid-nineties, meaning that the entire D-series/Roamer/H-series trio is right in the sweet spot for this treatment.

screenshot_00104.png

We've even got some of the parts already set to go! Simply mate the heavy-duty frame to the eight-lug axles present on the T-series. There may have to be a transfer case made for the front axle, but that would likely trickle over into all-wheel-drive versions of the T-series.

Of course, there's also a lot missing. The monster truck chassis would require a new suspension setup, special driveshafts, and the tires may prove to be a headache. I figure that this special chassis would take about as much effort as an all-new car to build, but considering that the final product would be at least three distinct monster trucks (D-series/Roamer/H-series), it may very well be worth the time and effort. The question is, would the community be willing to forgo a new vehicle during a future update if this was the trade-off?

There's a poll attached, the results of which are by no means binding. I just wanted to gauge interest and gather opinions on the feasibility of this suggestion.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

The plan was to mod a fantastic vehicle under the other archetype, too. :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Nathan24™

Nathan24™
    Expand Collapse

There was a Gavril D-Series monster truck mod a long time ago but it became outdated.

(Yes, the picture is from a Russian mod website).

#3 Nathan24™, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Flippi 284

Flippi 284
    Expand Collapse

I want a monster truck. I want to smash things. I want to glitch it out until the game crashes. :3

5. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

Just for clarity's sake, what exactly do you mean by "was"?

It was something we were going to do, but there's way too much going on with the CRD monster truck to even consider it now?

It was something we thought of during our first planning session, and we've been working on it?

It was an idea we had, and it's still in the idea phase?

6. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

This. :)

Also, my codeveloper is currently on hiatus. We'll reconsider all our plans when he's active again.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. SimplyGaming

SimplyGaming
    Expand Collapse

It's on Russian mod websites, it still works, I have it, if anybody wants it PM me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nathan24™

Nathan24™
    Expand Collapse

I do!

9. Flippi 284

Flippi 284
    Expand Collapse

It just had to be Russian....

10. SimplyGaming

SimplyGaming
    Expand Collapse

It was on the forum, but was removed for unknown reasons(maybe the devs removed it, maybe the author)

11. BannedByAndroid

BannedByAndroid
    Expand Collapse

DELETED

12. Nathan24™

Nathan24™
    Expand Collapse

I think it's because it got outdated.

13. nosraenyr kcirtap kcin

nosraenyr kcirtap kcin
    Expand Collapse

14. darkwolf

darkwolf
    Expand Collapse

Still have it?

15. SteelDst

SteelDst
    Expand Collapse

I have to original Monster Truck V3 from BeamNG forums but it was removed a long time ago. I also have V1

16. BarmyPark

BarmyPark
    Expand Collapse

i want the old truck!

17. SimplyGaming

SimplyGaming
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, I cleared out my mods and lost it. It's on modsgaming.com somewhere.

18. BarmyPark

BarmyPark
    Expand Collapse

oh ok

19. Nathan24™

Nathan24™
    Expand Collapse

I can PM it to you if you want.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice