1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

What engine models (if any) could use updating/improving?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crazikyle, Mar 9, 2018.

1. crazikyle

crazikyle
    Expand Collapse

I want to talk about updating some engine models. Some of them have remained unchanged since they were introduced, and their age shows. I'm mostly thinking about the Moonhawk, that engine looks like it shouldn't function at all. No wires, distributor or anything electrical to speak of in the engine bay. Also, the I4 in the D series uses the same exact wiring as the V8, and that leads to some floating wires.

Ideally, I'd like to see most of the engines upgraded to make some sort of sense, instead of the random jumble of wires we get in some engines (Covet, and Gavril engines to name the worst offenders).

The engine bays in the Miramar, Legran, both Pessimas, Hopper, and Barstow are very pleasing. Those engines should be the quality standard all the other engines in game should look like.

Thoughts? Is this something that deserves development time?

screenshot_00326.png

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Ai'Torror

Ai'Torror
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Yes, they are slightly outdated, but judging by the fact that djpopper's pack was and is so popular, most of the people do not care one bit about how the engine model looks like. The Moonhawk's V8 looks good enough.
    Gavril I6 could use with some improvements tho...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

the d series I6 is just generally a poor quality model, with unnecessarily dark textures.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

No.

There are two things which would give much better return for investment.

1. Having ingame editing, so that you select a node, can move it like you can move a rock in world editor, you build node beam structure in game and that opens "you can create anything" to masses of people. That is way building works in many other games (yeah, not in racing games as racing games are ancient dinosaurs in some regards).
    Building node beam structure bit like building is in this game http://store.steampowered.com/app/361420/ASTRONEER/ importing mesh inside the game, that would be modern way of building stuff and when some racing game reaches that level, it will sell a lot.

2. GPU load is heavy for the visual quality, that is quite big thing, optimizing and improving light and shadows would be much more important than improving engine models.

Of course these two things are huge undertaking that are very unlikely to happen, but those would get game to completely new level and time spent would bring much more benefit on those areas.

Improving engines would of course be just a day or two of work at most, while these two things might take few years, but I would rather see investment in these aspects than to engine model which is most of the time hidden inside the engine bay.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

I hardly ever look at the engine models, I mostly just drive the cars.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice