1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

What I noticed in the Cliff tumble video

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kommunist, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Kommunist

Kommunist
    Expand Collapse

Lack of friction. Now, I'm not talking about "Why is it rolling down the mountain so fast" I realize how steep the hill is. But why was the car not absolutely torn apart? At those speeds the bumper even catching a piece of the ground would tear it clean off. The other thing I noticed is the lack of scratches.

The scratches thing is pretty self explanatory.

I am really impressed with the videos I've seen so far and I will be paying for the finished product, I just had those few concerns.

Sorry if any of this has been asked before, I recently decided to join the forums and become more involved in this.

-Kommy

#1 Kommunist, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  2. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

If you look closely, the roof isn't hit so many times, only a few. Most of the time its the front and rear getting crushed, and they that got messed up a lot.

Only thing about the friction from me is that maybe the rocks don't have a rough "texture"(not material) just the friction coeff, that would mean that the parts can't get caught in a little cracks, so they don't get "ripped" or anything.

3. DanniBee

DanniBee
    Expand Collapse

That's exactly it, the cliff side itself is smooth with a few crags, which when hit by the car it starts to tumble. The physics are right but unlike a real mountain or hill there was not much for the car to get snagged on and subsequently torn to pieces; because this was more a damage demonstration rather than anything else.

4. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

Exactly, they said it was just a testing map.

5. raiderfan

raiderfan
    Expand Collapse

People should keep there compliments to them selves until they try the game out because people keep saying dumb stuff and it will be like certain ror mods it will never be released.

6. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Tbh, I though it looked low friction, but I trusted the devs. XD Now I see the full map.
    But the people that are dissing this are truly odd to me. They put up with bad physics and stuff in GTA4, but when they think the roof is a wee bit off, they give up on it.
    I think they are 100% troll.

#6 Bubbleawsome, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  7. David Fortsc

David Fortsc
    Expand Collapse

This question was also posted on another forum I'm on, this was my response:

I have taken a second look at the video. During the initial stages of the fall the vehicle was on all four wheels, without the brakes on. When the vehicle begins to tumble you can see when the bumper(s) hit the ground the vehicle slows down and begins to tumble. Every time the vehicle hits the bumper on the ground the vehicle slows down, and rolls either onto it's wheels which are even though damaged - still free to move. Which means there would be little decrease in speed. At other times the vehicle is carrying enough speed that when it slides on it's roof it's in a smooth area where their is almost no 'knicks' to allow the vehicle to grab onto to slow down. The hill is much steeper then it appears in the video, I have an image which I will post at the end of this. The vehicle isn't behaving that it's on ice, it's behaving accordingly to a decently heavy vehicle being pushed, flipped and smashed down a hill. It all comes down to the hill being steeper then you assume.

(imported from here)

8. Kommunist

Kommunist
    Expand Collapse

I see. This makes sense. Thank you for replying.

9. Kommunist

Kommunist
    Expand Collapse

I think it may come down to us underestimating the strength of the roof. Obviously if there was a rock or something for it to catch on while it was upside down the car would have became a convertible, but since the hill was lacking such rocks or other debris, it did not. I suspect this will be corrected when the final version is released.

10. LJFHutch

LJFHutch
    Expand Collapse
    Environment Artist
    BeamNG Team

11. Callisto89

Callisto89
    Expand Collapse

I also saw something "wrong" the wheels is to solid on the cars but it's great work

12. Kommunist

Kommunist
    Expand Collapse

Yes, you are absolutely very close ^^. I just wanted to give some input so the end product can be the best it possibly can.

13. BabyFaceCat

BabyFaceCat
    Expand Collapse

Something that you may want to think about is how many steps are needed to program something so perfect that everybody seems to want. The devs are not stupid, they know what is real and what is not; this video they released is a progress update showing what they have working in their engine at this point in time. They have clearly expressed this and so every time someone says something is missing and makes a big deal about it, they are just being redundant and annoying as the devs already know they have more work to do and they are at times working 12 hour days to improve it. Everytime something like this gets posted I and maybe the devs understandably get very frustrated and I would personally not release very much info to the public as most people just complain and waste their time.

14. Kommunist

Kommunist
    Expand Collapse

I don't appreciate the hostility. I did not claim the devs are stupid, and I don't think they would agree that feedback is completely redundant and a waste of their time.

Once again...

15. KrozMcD

KrozMcD
    Expand Collapse

Wheels don't just come off. Too many games have wheels that just come off. In real life those things are secure, and they have to be, because its the wheels that do the driving and you have to rely on them as you drive along. I think they flail around realistically in BeamNG's latest video. If you look close, they are still attached by things like the anti-roll bars. Those things are SOLID, and even if your suspension snapped, your wheel isn't going to just come off. They are attached to the car from several points, not just one point.

16. GeoTelnet111

GeoTelnet111
    Expand Collapse

Never mind, I was being stupid - post deleted -
    Does anyone else like the name that I picked?

BeamNG;
    Vehicular Physics Simulator

- - - Updated - - -

Now, make your cars blow up! :D

hahaha

17. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

the roof doesn't deform a lot because the cabin of a car is meant to be the strongest part of a car so you don't die.

18. ThingThing62

ThingThing62
    Expand Collapse

Psh, BeamNG is so far off from this video! I mean, watch the third car! It CLEARLY explodes just before it rolls off the cliff! I haven't seen that in BeamNG!

JK

We all know cars dont explode like they do in movies generally. Great work and it does look very similar!

19. dkutch

dkutch
    Expand Collapse

Glad someone posted that. You guys have done exceptional work so far.

20. davikasy

davikasy
    Expand Collapse

hello all =) nice video ^^ its exelent work

but i have a question

when the car go down... the tires hit the rock surfaze that do smoke. in real life too? when you go at 120 kmh landing and the tire hit a rock or similar, create easy smoke?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice