1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

What is the purpose of 'Arcade Gear Box' anyways?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by B3_Burner, Dec 25, 2020.

1. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

I see little use to it. I slam on my brakes, and it slams into reverse and into a wall!
    I know it must serve some purpose to somebody, but what I do not know. Can anyone tell me who would use it, and why the game doesn't just default to 'realistic' from the get-go?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

It's used by the AI. They can't drive on realistic. Also keyboard users may find it easier to drive with it. As far as I know there should be an option to set Realistic as default.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jakux

Jakux
    Expand Collapse

I was using arcade gearbox for the first 2 months of playing Beamng. And now I`m using the realistic mode

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Possibly_Pos

Possibly_Pos
    Expand Collapse

Its for the people like myself that dont want to deal with gears while just foolin around or are inexperienced. I'd use manual more if ffb for my wheel was decent enough to drive with in this game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. B3_Burner

B3_Burner
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for sharing that. I had no idea! Yes, that makes all the sense in the world now.
    Oh I see... to avoid having to press the Z/X keys. Again, makes sense.
    Yes you're right, and I forget that each time I uninstall/reinstall the game, that it's going to default to Arcade automatically. I'm the one who has to tick the checkbox that reads 'Realistic as Default'. Thank you for reminding me.
    --- Post updated ---
    Oh okay... so for you it was a 'use until more familiar with' type scenario. Okay, makes sense.... thanks for sharing your perspective on it. Now I understand.
    --- Post updated ---
    Okay, like the other two people said, makes sense. Now I understand. Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice