What laptop should I get?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by ajz177, Nov 1, 2017.

1. ajz177

ajz177
    Expand Collapse

My laptop has done alright the last few years, I have managed to put almost 600 hours on it. At least half was on BeamNG. With all of my issues lately with my current one I'm looking to buy another laptop.

Games I plan to play the most. Note: I already own the games listed below.
    • BeamNG
    • Brick Rigs
    • CMS 2015
    • Borderlands 1 and 2
    • Fallout 3 GOTY + mods (possibly a texture pack)
    • Fallout New Vegas GOTY + mods (possibly a texture pack)

2. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Budget? Do you want to run everything on max settings?

3. ajz177

ajz177
    Expand Collapse

Under 1,000. I would like to do at least medium settings, right now I play on the lowest settings.

4. DutchyGamer

DutchyGamer
    Expand Collapse

Should buy a desktop instead, much better and lasts longer

5. LucasBE

LucasBE
    Expand Collapse

Get yourself a MSI, cost less than 1000€/$ and runs great

6. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

I know very little about this sorta stuff, but I can at least give you my personal experience.

TLDR: look into an Asus, they are great quality.

*this is maybe the fourth time I am giving this rant in some form on this forum, sorry for anyone who's getting sick of it*

I've recently owned 2 dell 2 in 1's for travel/school, and the build quality was horrible. Many people I know have had good experiences with Dells (one even had the same model I had) but I personally would stay away from anything they make.

About 5 years ago I got an Asus Q550LF from Best Buy. I think the equivalent of what I got currently cost $1000-$1200 excluding taxes and whatever else. Refurbished/used ones are much cheaper, not that I would want a used laptop, just putting it out there.

Pros:
    -It's a good looking laptop IMO, lights included
    - the build quality is great (with one exception, see below)
    -having a touchscreen is nice, and occasionally actually useful for games
    - Still has a CD Drive, which is nice when windows isn't giving me a hard time for having old movies I actually want to watch. Windows 10 doesn't like my old movies. I haven't been able to watch Captain Ron since Windows 8 =(

Meh:
    -1TB memory was incredible for me when I got it, doesn't seem like much now, even after I recently had to reinstall everything after it died during an update
    -The 3.5mm jack came loose on mine last month, but it's still useable.

Cons:
    -It's big, heavy and has a metal exterior with brushed aluminum finish, so it's horrible if you plan on doing any real traveling with it. I know from experience.
    -I'm sure there are better deals out there, and for an extra $200ish you could probably get something actually marketed for gaming.

Performance examples:
    -WoT and Minecraft at medium settings
    - BeamNG with 3-4 cars on low-medium settings. Yesterday I was too lazy to close Spintires Mudrunner so I just played BeamNG with it still running, it behaved fine.
    -It struggles to run JC3 and I fear Ghost Recon Wildlands would be the same (really want that game though )= ). Last I checked, half of the steam reviews for both of those were about their performance, so you can't fault my Asus that much for it.
    -It really doesn't like Wreckfest, will only run with half an opponent pack and lowest graphics.
    - will run everything else I own at medium settings at worst, and I own a fairly wide range of games.

7. ajz177

ajz177
    Expand Collapse

I know but a desktop is not practical right now.
    Ok I will look into it, thanks for the suggestion.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice