What Rally category would a vehicle with these specs be placed in?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by DAYTONAAAAA, Feb 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DAYTONAAAAA

DAYTONAAAAA
    Expand Collapse

So, this is a car I was just randomly thinking about.
    I want to know it's viability as a rally car, and which category it fits in.
    If anyone here knows rally very well, it would be really helpful!
    I made up the car in Automation, by the way.

So:
    The car is small. Maybe about 3.1m in length. Haven't thought about the width.
    About 400-500 kg. Maybe 600 with added weight for better weight distribution.
    Longitudinal I-4 engine 20v DOHC 1300cc. Kinda makes an indentation in the interior, but not much.
    Bore/stroke: 78.3mm/66.9mm (1:0.85 ratio)
    Turbocharged. 46.0mm compressor, 37.0mm turbine. 0.57 bar pressure, with medium sized intercooler.
    Produces 271HP and 169 lb-ft of torque
    Six gear DCT transmission. AWD, with 55% Rear bias.
    Limited top speed to 120mph, for quicker acceleration (*might* go 0-60 in 1-2 seconds its small weight)
    With all cages and stuff, of course.

So the main concern of this car is its weight. The FIA rule for the full-on WRC Championship is 1200kg for safety, which will mean that I will have to drop to a lower-level rally category.
    The car has a small displacement too. The FIA labels the required engine displacement to be at least 1600cc, which I can't fulfill.

Might this car be able to be legal in the rally requirements made some years ago? It doesn't have to be present day rally, of course.
    Hoping for Group B.
    Thanks!

#1 DAYTONAAAAA, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Group B consisted of far more powerful behemoths than that, it would be entirely uncompetitive.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DAYTONAAAAA

DAYTONAAAAA
    Expand Collapse

Not really.
    If I were to say myself, this car might beat the competition.
    The Audi Quattro S1 has a weight-power ratio of 2.0 kg/HP
    If I could keep the weight as low as possible, this car will have a weight to power ratio of 1.8 kg/HP.
    Small size and weight is what will make this car fast, despite having half of the power the other cars have.

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Dct wouldn't have been available during group B era. They're usually sequential manuals or plain stick. You also don't match the displacement or minimum weight restrictions for even the lowest group B class. Sounds like a car too heavily modified to be allowed within group N. You'd only qualify for division 1 of group A and again sound too heavily modified from production models to compete. There is no open class.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DAYTONAAAAA

DAYTONAAAAA
    Expand Collapse

Hm...
    It seems that you know much about the car from the last thread I made.
    About the 2 cylinder engine I considered, never mind that.
    I think that the 1300cc car should be the base engine. As long as the displacement is the same, it should be viable for the race.
    But, in the case that I need to sell a bunch to the public first (I know that this is needed for Group A, although I'm not so sure for group B), what if I sold the microcar with the naturally aspirated engine to the public first so it will be viable for the sport? The only thing it seems to be missing is an AC unit, because of the turbo taking up a lot of space.

From the rule book I read, the car's displacement (1289cc to be exact) has to be multiplied by 1.4 due to the turbo being there, and because of that, the weight has to be at least 850 kg and the tire width is 17". That, I can do.
    So the weight is now restrected to 850kg.
    So far, I haven't found data regarding the minimum length of the car.
    Might you know where I can find it?
    Also, is there any turbo limitations?

Thanks

#5 DAYTONAAAAA, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice