When is hot?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by fufsgfen, Jul 17, 2018.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

When it is that you start to avoid movement of brisk pace and start to feel like it is too darn hot?

For me anything above around 16C / 60.8F start to be too hot to exercise and anything about 22C / 71.6F I consider just being too hot to move much.

Currently it is 29C / 84.2F and it was hotter earlier, I just consider such temps inhumane torture and sweat from breathing alone, feels like would need to peel off skin as there is only so much clothing you can remove.

Of course humidity does play a part, these are for bone dry, add humidity and I really can't tolerate anything above 20C / 68F

So how it is for you? Each one is said to be different in this regard.

2. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Somewhere around the high 80s to low 90s. That's when I start sweating quicker than normal.
    (referring to Fahrenheit)

#2 General S'mores, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  3. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

I prefer temperatures under 22C, but I can engage in my everyday activities normally until 30-32C.
    --- Post updated ---
    The hottest temp I have ever experienced was around 40-42C in Germany, it was really unpleasant.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Instant Winrar

Instant Winrar
    Expand Collapse

28 degrees with 55ish% humidity over here. Been regularly above 30 the past week...

5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I think something some people forget about is building design.

Got a Texan really complaining that British folk are complaining about it being 30 Celsius outside and how they can't stay cool when Texans are fine with this and we need to man up. Except, houses in Texas are designed to release any heat, they're light and airy. Houses in Texas also have air conditioning. Houses in Britain are designed to retain heat, if the house does warm up to outdoor temperatures, the house will remain at that temperature well into the early hours of the next morning, I was trying to sleep with it being 32 degrees in my bedroom, there's no ventilation to cool it down. British houses also don't have air conditioning. 30 Celsius is hell for us. At the same time, -10c outside? The house stays warm and you barely have to run the heating as the house retains all the heat you put into it.

6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

ALL my computer fans are actually hitting 100% after 1hr or so BeamNG, while normally they don't hardly turn up.

I miss my water cooling, had custom setup with wall radiator as a cooler, just put desktop fan to blow into that if too hot, but air cooling has it's perks.

There has been only 1 day when it did rain during whole summer, so at least everything is bone dry.

7. Copunit12

Copunit12
    Expand Collapse

Too hot for me depends. Whats the humidity, what will I be doing and or how much water have I had and do I need more? The highest comfortable temperature for me is a nice solid 92F (306K or 33C) but that's if I'm not doing any physically intensive work. If I am doing physically intensive work then 85F (303K or 29C) is my max.

8. welshtoast

welshtoast
    Expand Collapse

About 20C are warm but okay. Anything from 24C onwards is terrible. From 30C onwards I just want to die.

9. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Yeah i agree with sixsixsevenseven... Houses in UK are not designed for this weather.

The common things the yanks do without ac you can't do in UK...

Window fan, well most windows here are "casement windows" instead of the old style ones, they look like this..
    opposed to this

Sorry the photos are huge..

So no window fan for UK, apart from me being a nutter and squeezing in a drum fan into the window,

Also some people on the net said about putting a fan into the loft hatch bit, where the fan would blow air into the loft and it would come out of the loft..

However i noticed that my loft has ZERO ventilation holes, none at all! (it's insulated above ceilings, not under roof)
    this..
    opposed to this..

Anyway, getting back on topic, the whole house fan idea didn't work at all, I also cut the extractor fan for the bathroom off (cut the ventilation hose so that air could go in there and out the loft) but it's only 125mm in diameter, and that opposed to a 250w fan isn't going to do anything... So it blew dust everywhere basically.. and hot air blew down from the loft

Because i am a madman, i do have an airconditioner on my wall (minisplit daikin) and it is useful, however it does use up quite a bit of electricity and isn't best for air quality (it recirculates air). And hence i usually can survive around 27c 50% RH with a fan in my face (i have lots!) But when sleeping, 27c is quite hot! So i usually stick the aircon on to bring it to 24c

Last night my sister slept on the floor of my room, basically camping out in the ac, and well i pushed the system down to 21C!! and then to hold the humidity down i put it in DRY mode. The temperature was manageable, too cold for my liking as the aircon was blowing in my face! But this time i didn't run my fan, normally i sleep at around 25c with the fan on, but this time with it off at 21c or so, and it was quite comfortable, i woke up at 3am though a bit cold but i fell asleep again.

To answer the question..

I can sit down and not sweat at 27c 50% RH as long as i have air movement, without air i really do feel the heat, humidity is a b**** and is quite a problem in the UK, i think we had dewpoints in the region of 16-18c!
    Walking outside in the sun when it's 26c 70%RH really kills me, like I couldn't stop sweating! Oh and did i mention the car has no ac :p

Sunday it was 30c according to a fridge magnet, and well i was round my grandparents (celebrating my birthday :) ) and the ceiling fans are SOOO nice, like seriously it should be one of those new build requirements like the EV charging :p Ceiling fans are usually better quality than the cheap stuff you get at supermarkets, which merely buzz away at high rpm with a blade as flat as a pancake, when ceiling fans (even cheap ones-£40) are almost silent and move nice amounts of air.

What's interesting to note is that 2020 will require newbuilds to have heatpump systems only, no gas heating will be allowed. I hope storage heaters don't make a comeback.. but it will be interesting what the cheapest system is..

back in the 1960-70s i think, hot air gas heating was becoming very popular, my grandparents house has it and well it was rubbish so they got it replaced by hot water with radiators. It had one register (still there!) at the top of the hallway, which meant that heat was poorly distributed to say the least (imagine turning off all your radiators except from one in ur hall!) cold bathrooms and drafts were prevalent.
    The only advantage over hot water heat is that these can easily be upgraded to have aircon, but that was never required in the UK.

Heatpump systems prefer air heat, because they like to have a low output temperature for efficiency, and radiators are usually designed to be around 50c, whereas a heatpump will be more efficient at 40c ish, so air is much better as you can exchange more heat using a fan.

If the new builds simply run on hot water at low heat, and use fan assisted convector radiators then there will be no airconditioning, but if the new builds run refrigerant piping everywhere and have say a minisplit in every room (cost mounting!) then air con will be available.

If they do have central air that would be interesting, but the average UK house has barely enough room for pipes such as CH pipes (that can be like 10mm in diameter) let alone big ducts. So central air will likely not happen

#9 Michaelflat, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice