Which do you like more, old cars or new cars?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by 95Crash, Jan 24, 2020.

1. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Hello people. I'm curious as to what users on here prefer. Old cars or new cars. If you prefer old cars to new cars or new cars to old cars. That's totally fine.

RULES:
    No harassing or being mean to anyone

Other then that, post away =D

2. Nathan24™

Nathan24™
    Expand Collapse

I prefer old school :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

I actually like classic cars as well =)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

old

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. G-Farce

G-Farce
    Expand Collapse

very few new cars look the way I want them to, by comparison

old.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Okay then :/

7. Copunit12

Copunit12
    Expand Collapse

Depends on how they do things. I love most car designs between 1968 and 2008. But there are outliers such as the newer dodge chargers and challengers as they do everything possible to get the engines from the olden days while staying within modern regulations.

8. SquarebodyChevy

SquarebodyChevy
    Expand Collapse

There are some newer cars I like, but I usually prefer old ones. They’re better looking, simple, unique, more fun.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't really say old, personally I say cars peaked in the 90s/00s. When manufacturers could really design cars in a modern way, but without extreme restrictions on emissions and safety/

10. G-Farce

G-Farce
    Expand Collapse

Then you'd be surprised that I like a lot of new cars. For me "old" is anything before 2005

11. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I like both. There are great classic cars, and there are some great modern ones. I honestly hate it when people says X is better than Y, because personally, I think every generation of automobile has produced good cars. The same can be said for bad cars.

12. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Okay, can you please name examples of crappy old cars and crappy new cars?
    Thank you for the informative post :)

13. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Honestly, that's something I do struggle with. Some may see a car as awful, while I may see it as good or just okay. For example, the Pontiac Aztek is infamously said to be one of the worst cars ever, but I think the Aztek isn't as bad as people say it is.

This definitely won't make a few people happy.

Here's at least a few old cars that I do think are bad.
    1. Yugo 45/Zastava Koral
    This car is possibly the most infamous. It's mostly said that this car falls apart and breaks down easily, and I know that it lacks some basic amenities a lot cars have, like a glove box for one. Not to mention that it's dreadfully slow. A lot of people like to call it the Mona Lisa of bad cars. In the end, we did get a funny video with Jeremy Clarkson, which ended with him blowing the car up with a tank. Speaking of Clarkson, in the segment where he drove a Yugo, he said that he had his foot "welded to the floor," meaning that he had the gas pedal as far down as it would go, and the car was still going slow, at less than 30 MPH. Imagine the line of traffic this car would cause on an American highway. I would also mention the situation with Leslie Ann Pluhar, who died when her 1987 Yugo went off a bridge. AFAIK, the cause isn't 100% known, but it is believe that wind was a contributing factor, possibly causing her to lose control of the vehicle. I honestly have no idea how much of an effect Pluhar's case has on the reputation of the Yugo, but I do assume that it has played a role.

I have had debates with MrAnnoyingDude and a few other users over this car, as they believe the Yugo isn't as terrible as so many people have made it out to be, so they definitely won't be happy to see this. I'm going by what I read, and what conclusions I come to, and the Yugo doesn't sound like the kind of car I'd like to own.

2. Ford Pinto
    This car's production was honestly Ford at its worst. I think Ford's lucky that the Pinto didn't put them out of business. The main underlying issue with the Pinto is the shoddy gas tank design that pretty much made the car into a rolling deathtrap. If this car got rear ended, it was guaranteed to burst into flames as if it were a Molotov Cocktail, and to make things worse, the doors would be jammed shut. During its rear crash test with a 1972 Impala, the car bursted into flames. This should've told Ford right away that the car wasn't ready for production. Instead of fixing the gas tank issue, they produced the car as is, fully aware of the car's defects, preferring to settle lawsuits than actually fix the car, and many people suffered for it. It wasn't until after several court cases and a lot of media attention that they later issued a recall, but it was too late and the car shortly exited production soon after. I think what Ford did with the Pinto was absolutely disgusting.

3. Trabant
    I would say this car was a product of the environment it was built in, that being Communist East Germany. It was made of duraplast, which I've heard people compare the material to cardboard, but I don't really know how similar duraplast is to cardboard, so that may or may not even be true. The engine wasn't all that great, bad fuel economy, bad power output, and the engine was also extremely smoggy. I also know that Doug DeMuro's video on the car did highlight some other things that are wrong with this car, though I don't remember them all. IIRC, one thing I do remember not liking about the car that was highlighted in DeMuro's video, was how the Trabant's door locks work. Another being that they didn't even bother putting a gas gauge in it, you instead have to use a dipstick similar to how you would check your oil.

Much like what I said about the Yugo, I'm going off of what all I've read, and I have come to my own conclusions about it.

Bad new ones
    1. SsangYong Rodius
    Insert Patrick Star yelling "LOOK AT IT!" multiple times. I don't even need to explain it.

2. Hummer H2
    Basically because of how legendary its bad MPG is.

There are many older and newer vehicles that people consider the worst, but these are ones that I can agree with. It's like I said about the Aztek, they consider it one of the worst vehicles ever, but that's not how I see it. I think I'd rather own a Pontiac Aztek over the five vehicles I mentioned here.

#13 MisterKenneth, Jan 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for answering my question =)

As far as my thoughts on the SsangYong Rodius go. I actually don't think the car is that ugly. I will admit, the body style is kind of weird though. By the way, do you think that the SsangYong Rodius is an unreliable vehicle?

15. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I suppose it isn't the ugliest thing out there, but I do think its design is a confused mess that leaves my eyes confused. I think the Aztek's design is more competent compared to the Rodius, but that's probably just me though. It's officially said to be a minivan, but looking at its design, I probably wouldn't know that. It looks to me like some kind of lost Mercedes-Benz that's trying too hard to be a minivan, an SUV, and a CUV all at the same time, and it clearly can't make up its mind what it wants to be.

As for how reliable it is, I don't know. How myself and everyone else perceives its exterior design is really all I know about it. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be on the same boat as the Aztek, perceived to be one of the worst vehicles ever mostly because of its looks, but is secretly an underdog that its owners find to actually be reliable.

I do think that the second generation Rodius is a much better design, though it still looks like a minivan trying to be an SUV.

16. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for answering my question. You are awesome =D

• Like Like x 1
  17. G-Farce

G-Farce
    Expand Collapse

You can say that about hyundai, they're much better value for moeny cars now, they've turned around completely from their bad first models.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

It's an ordinary low-cost B-segment car. Less than Americans are used to, but decent for the price of less than $9k in today's money.

It was Jeremy Clarkson. The guy has very little to do with documentary filmmaking, being just a showman, and I suppose he just rigged it, like the Reliant segment on Top Gear.

And such crashes don't happen to cars that aren't Yugos?

What you've read seems to have been clickbait claptrap.

Maybe let's listen to the words of actual professionals, not Internet scribblers?

"UCLA law professor Gary T. Schwartz, in a Rutgers Law Review article (see Section 7.3 NHTSA Investigation above), studied the fatality rates of the Pinto and several other small cars of the time period. He noted that fires, and rear-end fires in particular, are very small portion of overall auto fatalities. At the time only 1% of automobile crashes would result in fire and only 4% of fatal accidents involved fire, and only 15% of fatal fire crashes are the result of rear-end collisions.[136] When considering the overall safety of the Pinto, Schwartz notes that subcompact cars as a class have a generally higher fatality risk. Pintos represented 1.9% of all cars on the road in the 1975–76 period. During that time the car represented 1.9% of all "fatal accidents accompanied by some fire." Implying the car was average for all cars and slightly above average for its class.[137] When all types of fatalities are considered, the Pinto was approximately even with the AMC Gremlin, Chevrolet Vega, and Datsun 510. It was significantly better than the Datsun 1200/210, Toyota Corolla and VW Beetle.[136] The safety record of the car in terms of fire was average or slightly below average for compacts, and all cars respectively. This was considered respectable for a subcompact car. Only when considering the narrow subset of rear-impact, fire fatalities for the car were somewhat worse than the average for subcompact cars. While acknowledging this is an important legal point, Schwartz rejects the portrayal of the car as a firetrap"

It isn't similar, you've just been reading more BS. In fact, duroplast meant that the car was quite strong, and able to avoid the bodywork corrosion that was common in its day and age.

It was a low-cost 50s design. It was a decent engine for its age, and efficiently packaged in a pretty good transverse FWD setup.

Demuro, just like Clarkson, is more of a showman than honest reviewer.

It's a cheap, practical, quite reliable car. It's a car, not a sculpture, it's not meant to be bought on looks.

It has similar MPG to any car of its size, it's just that its image riled up the green types.

19. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

yugos, trabis, and the rodius are good cars

• Like Like x 1
  20. Kasir

Kasir
    Expand Collapse

My top decades for cars are the 70s, 90s, 2000s, and 2010s

I like the late 60s and late 80s, but I left them out because half a decade--well--isn't a decade.

I'm hoping the 2020s are good as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice