Which low profile GPU?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by infraxious, Sep 21, 2018.

1. infraxious

infraxious
    Expand Collapse

So, I have an ancient Dell desktop in the lounge that the kids use, and I'm trying to upgrade it to be a low cost gaming machine. It now has 8GB and a Q9550, but I only had a HD5450 available which can manage 12fps...

What would you lovely people recommend as a decent low profile graphics card? (because I haven't built or rebuilt a PC in a couple of years and no longer have a clue...)

Btw, the PSU is only (edit) 280w.

Thanks in advance :)

#1 infraxious, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

280W is not a much, q9550 is not exactly low power design either I guess?

1050Ti is the budget card to go with, but it does require something like 50W or so, however some models don't require extra power cable and can be better for your system.

However you need to do bit of research about compability, is your AGP bus enough good for the card.

3. infraxious

infraxious
    Expand Collapse

I've done a little research, the 1050/ti seems to be a popular choice in these forums.
    The gpu specs say a 300w minimum psu, even for the weaker 1030, so a new psu is unavoidable... and then of course the all-important wiring adaptor so the hardware doesn't fry itself because of dell's unhealthy obsession with proprietary bullshit...

Is the ti version worth the extra 30% cost over the 1050?

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I don't know how much slower non Ti would be, but I know that even Ti is bit slow for BeamNG, have to reduce details at times.

Well, they are bit safe on those recommendations, it is best to calculate wattage using some PSU calculator. GPU itself is not drawing huge amount of power as AGP bus has a limit and it was not hugely high limit, but then again your current PSU might be quite close to limit already, depends a bit how much your CPU uses juice.

I remember when I had Core 2 Duo and switching to skylake halved power consumption, so those old CPUs can be quite power hungry.
    --- Post updated ---
    Oh yes, your CPU might not be able to feed even regular 1050 as single core performance is not so huge and BeamNG is very single core CPU bottlenecking, even with fastest available CPU.

5. infraxious

infraxious
    Expand Collapse

I'm not worried about the AGP bus speed, because it doesn't have one.
    The 1050i is a 75 watt card, but I believe some are available with power connectors.
    I'm now also looking for a 4-500w psu with a matching pci-e power connector. The cpu has a 95w tdp.
    AGP? It's not that ancient...

I'm thinking these will do:
    https://m.cclonline.com/product/249...Ti-OC-Low-Profile-4GB-Graphics-Card-/VGA4114/

https://m.cclonline.com/product/802...80D-Green-380-Watt-Power-Supply-Unit/PSU0343/
    ( total < £coffee lake i5 cpu )

I'm aware there may be a bottleneck, but i'm expecting 'playable' not 'award-winning'. If not, I have some parts for my next build...

6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, I meant PCI-E, which somehow turned between brain and screen to AGP :D

I'm quite certain that one without Ti performs same with that CPU, but then again Ti will be better for future upgrades, so it should be good choice.

In this game, even i7 can be bottleneck before 1050Ti, it depends from settings, vehicle, map, etc. However it is part of the graphics that run on CPU which mostly limits framerate in this game, except WCUSA where you might need fast GPU, but it does need fast CPU too, so bit of both limits there.

Turning shadows off will help CPU a lot.

7. PriusRepellent

PriusRepellent
    Expand Collapse

8. infraxious

infraxious
    Expand Collapse

It's not even that good... 783MHz base clock and 4GB, probably a GT740, if it actually is GDDR5.

Saddest part is that some people will look at that and think, "bargain!" and not even check the specs...

9. Zorin-Ind.

Zorin-Ind.
    Expand Collapse

I had a dell XPS 430 system back in the day, with q9550 as well. Upgraded it with an SSD, new PSU, GTX 580 and more ram. Worked perfectly fine. Nowadays I wouldn't suggest a GTX 580. Maybe a 750 Ti or 1050.
    For beamng & other cpu intensive games/tasks, the q9550 could be a bottleneck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice