WHich Nvidia is best?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Chernobyl, Jul 28, 2014.

?

Which graphics card is best

1. GTX Titan

14.3%
  2. GTX Titan Z

61.9%
  3. GTX 650

23.8%
  1. Chernobyl

Chernobyl
    Expand Collapse

GTX Titan
    GTX 780
    GTX 680

2. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

Why is this even a poll? Everyone knows the Titan is the fastest on the list, it's not like someone's opinion is going to change facts.

3. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

650 is best. 650 will never not be best.

4. Chernobyl

Chernobyl
    Expand Collapse

The Titan is crap for gaming though.

5. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

680 is a generation behind so straight off the list.

The titan and 780 are both incredibly powerful. The 780 is twin GPU's on one card though and the Titan is just 1 much bigger GPU. I don't think either is particularly the best, the 780 and its upgraded brother (780 Ti) I think are supposed to offer more bang for your buck but a few games don't like to play too well with its dual GPU setup. The Titan overall I think is slightly lower performance than the 780 Ti but being 1 GPU doesnt tend to have nearly as many compatibility issues, it also has upgraded forms in the GTX Titan Z and Titan Black.

Fingers cross inb4 the AMD fanboys arrive ready to troll all over the NVidia stuff again.

EDIT: Turns out the Titan Z is just 2 Titan's on one card, therefore the most powerful on the list. Nor is the titan crap for gaming

6. deject3d

deject3d
    Expand Collapse

7. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

780 ti is the best nvidia card for gaming. No discussion, really.

8. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

The 780 definitely isn't a twin GPU. I'm not sure if a 790 exists, but normally the dual GPU cards from Nvidia end in 90, like with the GTX590 and so on.

EDIT: Just saw that Passmark list. Not sure how reliable it is, but I had no idea that my GPU would benchmark slightly faster than a Titan.

9. metalmuncher

metalmuncher
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, 780 is single GPU. The Titan Z is the dual-gpu card of this generation:
    Code:
    Titan Z     = 2x Full GK110
    Titan Black = 1x Full GK110
    780ti       = 1x Full GK110
    Titan       = 1x Cut down GK110
    780         = 1x Cut down GK110, even more than the Titan
    And of course, the Titan cards are semi-pro style so they get unlocked FP performance and more memory on the reference designs. The clocks also differ between cards as usual.

10. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Heard good things about the 650. I wouldn't even consider a Titan/Z. Give me a 780ti for desktop any day. Even the 690 still beat the Titan in some benchmarks. Titan/Z is ridiculous hype
    and complete waste of money for running a CPU bottlenecked DX9 game.

11. pf12351

pf12351
    Expand Collapse

I have a 780 TI, and it is definitely the best.

12. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Let's see...
    Titan Z = 2x Titan Black
    Titan Black = $1300
    2x Titan Black = $2600
    Titan Z = $3000

So the Titan Z is out.

780 Ti = $700
    2x 780 Ti = $1400
    2x 780 Ti > Titan Black

Which makes the 780 Ti the best card.

Still, having 2 780 Ti's is overkill. You definitely don't need it. A single 780 Ti is the best option for a high-end gaming PC.

Mid-end, I'd rather go for AMD as it's much cheaper.
    Yes, Nvidia is better if, but for the money you can get a higher tier of Radeon cards.
    Example: I bought a R9 270, best Nvidia card you can get for that money is a 650 Ti. The 270 is definitely much better.

So, basically:
    High-end: Nvidia 780 Ti.
    Mid-end, performance-oriented: Nvidia 760 Ti or 770.
    Mid-end, budget: Radeon R9 270 or 280X.
    Budget PC: Don't.

13. Rage

Rage
    Expand Collapse

A 680 is a 770. Not that old or bad performing. My two OC 670s are slightly faster than a 780Ti in benchmarks.

14. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I'd generally agree, but for Budget PC, AMD APU?

15. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Oh god no.
    APUs are just plain useless, chance is your motherboard has an on-board gpu.

16. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

Er, no. An AMD APU is perfect for a budget PC. Motherboards hardly ever come with on-board graphics these days.

17. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

You should always get the newer card, the 770 in this case.
    Still, buying a Nvidia card now is stupid since the 800 series is coming by the end of this year. There's no point in buying a new card that will be old in 4 months.

- - - Updated - - -

Most mid-end motherboards come with an on board GPU afaik. It's been a long time since I last looked at PC parts, so I'm probably outdated.

Still, at least AMD is using 22nm technology for its APUs.
    Intel is releasing 14nm Core i3/5/7 by early 2015 and AMD's FX processors are still 32nm.

18. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

The AM3 socket motherboard GPU's fall far behind the APU integrated GPU and often lack one entirely. The FM2 motherboards dont have a GPU. Intel motherboards dont have a GPU and the HD4000 and even 5000 don't trump the APU graphics either. The way I see it, APU seems to win on the non dedicated GPU front (mostly because it does itself use dedicated GPU based tech with a shared memory address space)

19. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

I would usually be one of these people who comes along with an AMD card is better, but I just RMA'd an MSI R9 280x and a friend of mine also had to RMA his today. I've never been so hacked off with a company before, when did their Quality control become so shocking?

I'm used to having to give AMD cards a few kicks and tweaks in order to get them in line but not like this. for a £200 card its unacceptable. so yes, any of those while I cool down.

20. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

and yet 2 AMD fans tried to tell me that AMD GPU's never break down. Honestly, never actually come across anyone who had an NVidia card fail except a guy who bought a cheap PSU which blew up and totalled quite a few other components at the same time and 1 DOA. Got a few mates who have RMA'ed AMD cards left right and centre, had a guy buy an AMD GPU to have it DOA, RMA'ed and the replacement was DOA, RMA'ed and that one lasted 2 weeks before failure, finally refunded.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice