Why Can't I Open pickup_lights_d.dds in GIMP or any other software?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Mario64iscool2, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Mario64iscool2

Mario64iscool2
    Expand Collapse

It just doesn't work. I want to create some new taillights with the existing ones as a base.
    If I open it in GIMP, it says invalid compression format, and Blender can't read it either.
    And while we're here, how do I make certain parts of the light light up with the correct function?

2. austen64

austen64
    Expand Collapse

You have to use Paint.net to view .dds files. They can be exported to .png, edited in the image editor of your choice, and then converted back to .dds in paint.net.

3. Mario64iscool2

Mario64iscool2
    Expand Collapse

I'm able to open certain DDS files in GIMP, now that they've added partial support. GIMP seems to not like certain DDS files from the game. What compression format do they actually use?

And upon opening the troubling file in paint.net, the same problem happens.
    Code:
    System.FormatException: File is not a supported DDS format

at PaintDotNet.Data.Dds.DdsFile.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\Dds\DdsFile.cs:line 593

at PaintDotNet.Data.Dds.DdsFileType.OnLoad(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\Dds\DdsFileType.cs:line 225

at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 496

at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Some textures are in BC7 format, which very few plugins can open because they are old.
    The Intel DDS plugin for PS can open these fine.

5. Mario64iscool2

Mario64iscool2
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info, but I don't have Photoshop.

Also, it seems having the latest version of Paint.NET allowed me to open it. Weird.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice