Why is BeamNG lagging on good (according to BeamNG.Drive) hardware?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by FlameFox, Dec 24, 2017.

1. FlameFox

FlameFox
    Expand Collapse

Hi, I have a Dell Latitude E6430 with Intel Core i7-3740QM 8-core @ 2.7 GHz, a 1 GB Nvidia NVS 5200M, and 8 GB of RAM with 128GB SSD of storage. I'm getting an average 10 FPS on the lowest graphics possible, with even the theme set to the most performance method possible, yet I'm still lagging and I have not found any solution to this. Upgrading my GPU is not an option, as it's (sort of) soldered onto the motherboard. I have only Steam and BeamNG.Drive running. On the empty map (I forgot what it was called) I get this framerate. Can someone tell me a way to boost FPS? Thanks.

2. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

I'm afraid there isn't much you can do to boost the FPS. It's the GPU which is the problem, and aside from turning down the graphics, there really isn't anything you can do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

Have you tried to disabling shadows? That can help by a lot. Also, making the tire track decal invisible can help FPS.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

It isn't an 8 core, 4 cores with hyper threading.
    Your GPU isn't that good. But dropping the resolution will help. Maybe try something low like 1024x768. Also have you added BeamNG to the list of programs in Nvidia Optimus? It might be running on Intel graphics which is bad.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. FlameFox

FlameFox
    Expand Collapse

I haven't tried using Nvidia Optimus, as I have no idea how to access it unless it's just the Nvidia Control Panel, but I'll try it. Also resolutionwise I haven't even given that a thought, thanks for the idea!

If you could tell me how to make the tire track decal invisible, I'd love to try it. Also I indeed did disable shadows, although for some reason it had little to no effect in the FPS count.

Well, I did that, also I might as well just buy a new laptop anyway, this one's literally falling apart.

Anyway thank you guys! I will try all your methods, and have a good day.

6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Turn reflections off, SSAO off, shadows off, normal detail level, you can put high textures, but rest normal.

On some maps shadows are a problem, but because of their CPU load, not so much of GPU load.

SSAO is really heavy on slower GPU's.

Dynamic reflections are hard on any hardware really, if cranked up, those are off by default and better kept that way, unless lots of GPU power.

Use MSI afterburner or HWinfo64 to see your GPU load, so you know how much you have GPU processing power room available. Keep vsync on as that is smoothest usually and going over 60fps is not going to help much else than heating computer.

When everything else fails, press F11 and edit visual distance, some information about that in performance thread in my sig (warning, it is lot of information to read).

7. nolotank

nolotank
    Expand Collapse

That graphics card is so, so horrible. I’m shocked BeamNG starts.

Turn all settings to minimum, especially lighting. Lighting minimum could be very helpful.

8. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Honestly? Back up all your important files and trade that laptop in for a gaming-capable laptop, at a MA&PA PC shop (independent). Or get a decent gaming tower if you can afford it. This game is awesome and if you think so too and can afford it get a desktop, or at-least trade your laptop in on a better one.
    You've already turned down your graphics and disabled shadows/reflection/ssao ETC.
    Run it at the lowest resolution you can set it to, like 1366x720p or lower if it allows you to.
    Technically you could go into the map you want to try to play, in windowed mode (alt+enter to toggle), enter the MAP editor (f11 keyboard key to enter or exit editor), and press LIGHTING on the menu bar (top), select BASIC lighting, wait for the map to re-load a moment (could take a minute). Now exit out of the editor with F11 again once it's reloaded and wait for the game to come back into 'play' mode and you can try it that way. This uses a no-longer-supported DX9 mode - this also mirrors your 1gb gfx card RAM in system RAM so it's like having 1gb less of system ram but it should run!
    It may or may not stay in this 'legacy DX9' graphics mode for the remainder of time the app is open. You will surely have to set it again next time you open it but you might be able to play something with this.

DO get a better graphics card in your next laptop. Even recent integrated GPUs aren't as rubbish as the 5200.
    It's not supported, it's not easy to do - but it may just get you a playable game doing what I mentioned.
    --Best of luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice