1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Will Beamng have actual "engines"?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by tembrant, Oct 22, 2012.

1. tembrant

tembrant
    Expand Collapse

Will Beamng have an actual engine-block with working pistons and fuel being spent, so that there may be actual stalls and other engine problems? Might there just be a simpler design where there is only just a engine model and that can have random problems and can still be destroyed? Or will it be like RoR Where you car can be flattened but be still running?

2. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

We plan to have a realistic engine model with realistically damageable components.

3. Binkey

Binkey
    Expand Collapse

I'm looking foward to it, keep up the good work, BeamNG!

4. joytech22

joytech22
    Expand Collapse

Wow, individually damageable components?
    You guys are taking real-time simulation of vehicles to a whole new level.

And I thought Rigs of Rods was already pretty good.

5. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

It probably won't be super in-depth - you won't be able to build an engine part by part, but major components will be represented and simulated. You'll be able to damage the radiator, transmission, clutch, air filter, exhaust, stuff like that. And of course, if you get into a really severe crash, you can crack the block and then the whole engine's ruined.

6. Mad-Alex

Mad-Alex
    Expand Collapse

Sounds great, thx to you all "devs" for your hardwork on this project. It will definitely put vehicle simulation on a completely new level.:)

7. tuningfreak1

tuningfreak1
    Expand Collapse

what about the sounds? i did nowhere read anything about it. i mean like you damage the exhaust system and suddenly the car sounds very loud. ? or put on an aftermarket muffler and the sound cahanges?

8. joytech22

joytech22
    Expand Collapse

Mwahahaw.... Excellent.
    Can we still use the mouse to fling the car about? :\

9. RoRlover1100

RoRlover1100
    Expand Collapse

I was thinking this to myself the other day. This will be really good and I am really looking forward to the release. I thought Rigs of Rods couldn't get better, but this is just a new level. Breakable engines, that wasn't what I was expecting!! Engines will be great :D

10. coolsnow

coolsnow
    Expand Collapse

ROR was good but there were only one or two cars with good, realistic damage so I can't wait for this

11. Rollover

Rollover
    Expand Collapse

Individual component failure sounds pretty cool. I like the idea of driving down a calm scenic mountan road and suddenly my brakes fail.

12. spartan239

spartan239
    Expand Collapse

I don't really like that idea...

JK, I understand what you are saying. This task is a major undertaking, needless for me to say, but it is going to be the major thing that is going to set BeamNG apart. Did you guys start to work with that guy that was making a game and posted a thread about his concepts about two or so months ago?

13. Hondune

Hondune
    Expand Collapse

I doubt this would ever happen. Brake failures are incredibly rare, and usually caused by someone tampering with brake lines or incorrect installation ect. There would be no point in coding something into the game that only a very small handfull of people would ever even experiance. and making them more common would just be annoying as hell.

Same goes for a lot of other component failures. Minuscule component failures that hardly anyone every experiences in a life time because they are so rare definitely arent worth the code it would take to create and they would just be annoyance in the end anyways. Same reason hardly any games make you have to purchase gas, sure its realistic, but its not fun.

14. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Parts will certainly break if you actually damage them. As for random failures, we'll see if that's a good idea in practice

15. Rollover

Rollover
    Expand Collapse

I was thinking you should be able to set things to fail like you could in the Microsoft flight sims. As for random component failures I would want to be able to turn it on & off in a sandbox mode. In a campaign mode you could have easy, with no random component failure, Medium, with rare random failures and hard, with common random failures.

16. spartan239

spartan239
    Expand Collapse

Or, even a mission could revolve around a failure, like at the beginning of a mission your brakes cut out and you have to make it to the bottom. In the process it would get harder and harder because of the speed, but the radius of the mountain is also larger. I think stuff like that would be fun. As for my engine dying out when I am just having a drive, I don't want that.

17. Trykkestar

Trykkestar
    Expand Collapse

Oh yeah. That reminds me of a game I used to play when I was little. You are stuck in a car with no brakes and have to make it to the bottom of a San Francisco street (meaning flat, slope, flat, slope).

(imported from here)
    As you progress, you build up speed. You have to avoid traffic, intersections, and other obstacles that could damage your car. With the whole "engine" idea, it might be cool if you just removed the entire engine and transmission and sent the car rolling. It would be a lot lighter so it could catch air on the slopes at high speeds. :eek:

On another note, how in-depth are the engines? It would be cool if you could build them from the ground up, similar to building ATVs in the game Pure. You would start with a stock engine, and can disassemble the entire thing and swap parts. Swapping parts would either boost speed, increase acceleration, improve handling, etc.

18. Deleted member 1747

Deleted member 1747
    Expand Collapse

if you go into water and stop will the car be able to start if it stalls as in will the engine not start if the water gets in it?

19. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

if you want mechanical failures, why not keep track of the use of the components? Data exists already on the average lifespans of particular parts in real life, the data just needs implementing. As you simulate the engine, have a calculation that tracks the use of each part. If a starter motor is good for 1 million revolutions, each time you start the engine you use part of the life of the starter. the game now says, for that starter for that car, you required 10 out of 1,000,000 revolutions to get the engine going and therefore used 0.00001% of it's lifespan starting the car. I'll add that percentage to the running total.

and beyond 50% of the part's lifespan you can introduce intermittent failure. Maybe at 50% you have a 0.0001% chance of the motor cutting out. and towards 80% there's a 5% chance of it randomly cutting out before the engine starts and a loss in the part's efficiency. and when you hit 100% the odds are 50/50 whether it fails or starts and the part has compromised performance because of it's wear.

Maybe at 90% of the part's lifespan taken you're introduced to a probability of complete failure of the component. The game says "well, you hit 90% of the lifespan of the starter motor. You cruel bastard. Here, have a 0.001% chance that the part will break". and as you use up more and more life the probability of complete and total failure is increased. If you've been lucky and gotten the component to 190% of it's lifespan the game can say "welp, you've somehow nursed this thing through twice it's intended lifespan. There's a 100% chance of failure now".

but imagine simulating piston, clutch, battery and tyre and general engine wear this way.

and now you have got problems when it comes to buying used cars, because they're used up and less reliable because things have been worn out and some of their lifespan is gone. You can also replace engine components with cheaper parts with crap lifespans or expensive parts with a good lifespan. You also have incentives to save things from cars and put them in others before sending them to the junk yard. It'd certainly appeal to the anal retentive crowd.

#19 Hati, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  20. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

This is pure genius... its simple, yet effective and can be applied to practically everything!
    I totally agree with this! Actually gives a point to save games as well, unlike RoR where you don't really need them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice