1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Will Rigs of Rods Multiplayer Issue Resurface?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by luchvk, Aug 24, 2013.

1. luchvk

luchvk
    Expand Collapse

If two players did not have the same car in their game directory they could not see each other while driving. For example, let's say one of them had a 2004 Jeep (specifically) and the other did not. The player who did not download or get the Jeep by any other means would not be able to see the player who had the Jeep, not the Jeep or the other player while they are in the car. When the multiplayer is implemented will this still be and issue?

This caused problems for me and can completely diminish the quality of some of the intended game modes, if it remains.

2. derbymutt

derbymutt
    Expand Collapse

With the size of vehicles in BeamNG, I doubt that it would be possible to send the vehicles over the network connection. Though if I remember correctly, players in NFS III could see cars they didn't have because they were small enough to be sent to other players. Would you really want to download a 100+MB car from someone who might have a 50kb/s upload speed every time you went on mp? Personally, it would just be faster to download the cars yourself than to get them from someone else.

I personally would like to know though what course is going to be taken on mp collisions between players with one player not being able to see the other, while the other player can see the first player.

3. luchvk

luchvk
    Expand Collapse

I see what you mean by this. I'm not sure what would be the best way for most players to be sure that the game doesn't have this issue. I do have one suggestion, it may not be the best in convenience in the long run though. Make the severs where you cannot enter into them without having all of the resources. Sort of like when in Rigs of Rods you didn't have the map file and the game had to be closed, except you get sent back to the main menu. Maybe even in-game you get a download prompt for all of the resources, or maybe links to them. I know with this some freedom may be compromised because there would be certain cars that wouldn't be able to used. The sever would need to have a restriction on other cars so all players would be able to fully interact.

This is just one suggestion of the top of my head. Maybe someone else can take this idea and work with it a little more to come up with a more viable alternative. :)

4. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

maybe represent cars that you don't have with a standard model, like gmod does with props. you just get the large red ERROR model.

5. Lewin.

Lewin.
    Expand Collapse

Server owner can allow a list of cars, you must have these before you can join, for example he can just pick cars that come with the game, if you had extra cars you would not be able to spawn them

Problem solved

6. luchvk

luchvk
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I never even though of that. That would be much more convenient than my idea. :) Maybe the developers can make an independent car for that purpose, and make it so you cannot select it on the normal car switching menu. If they do they could put it in a later update. :]

I wonder if with that the car could be marked somewhere to show the person seeing it what model car the other player actually has. So if they want to get rid of the standard car they can go download the model the other player has. (I am thinking of having one of the cars you see in the world editor that have the orange "NO" graphic on them to start.)

- - - Updated - - -

My issue with that is if the owner of the sever doesn't have many cars. In that situation it could be possible that you wouldn't be able to use a car you want to in many severs (or at least in that server).

7. Docteh

Docteh
    Expand Collapse

Could solve the cars server side by either having BeamNG include high quality user created cars in standard distribution (credits/permission/etc sorted of course)

Or have a community maintained car pack, and strongly suggest that server operators use it.

8. rider450

rider450
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

1) cant collide with cars one cant see , both clients will agree not to have their cars collide with each other
    2) maybe two players respective cars wont collide at all like RoR?

9. Lewin.

Lewin.
    Expand Collapse

It would be like gmod addons in that respect, if that server does not have the cars you like, join another or start your own, i started a gmod server just because i wanted WAC air in a darkRP server :rolleyes:

10. AceDeucey

AceDeucey
    Expand Collapse

The devs have also announced that they have plans to release a repository for content. Because they're making the repository, they have the opportunity to very deeply integrate it into the client. For example, you may be able to automatically download vehicles from the repo that don't exist locally on your machine yet, should you choose. This would make things very easy.

11. luchvk

luchvk
    Expand Collapse

You do have a good point, but that is still limiting. I would like for a convenient way for the sever to be able to allow, or deny if they really want to, cars to be usable, seen, and interact-able by everyone in the sever. Doing this, if not too difficult, would also be a good way to promote community cars without the player having to completely source the cars out themselves. :)

(Sorry for the late reply.)

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it would. I wonder how they will pull this off effectively and allow every player to use the cars they want in the severs they go into. :)

- - - Updated - - -

That is a good idea. Though, how will a player attain the credits, should this method be used? Will they have to purchase them with real world currency, or will they earn them somehow in the game? The community car pack work work as well, if it is well organized. My main concern would be if the suggestion idea is used, using that method could still leave many severs that are incompatible with certain cars.

One idea I have as well, adding on to yours, would be all of the high quality content is required on every sever. Everyone wouldn't have to unlock or buy the cars, they would just have to have them on their machine. This should insure that everyone who has unlocked a car (permissions) or purchased a car (credits) would be able to use the car in every sever they go into, if it is not restricted. One area that I have an issue with this (my addition to your idea), though, is that still some cars would be unattainable or unusable in severs if the devs didn't get a chance to add to a certain car or if they haven't gotten to one yet.

#11 luchvk, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  12. duck74

duck74
    Expand Collapse

The server could use a placeholder car while the mod car downloads.

That way, after some time you can see the custom car but while you wait you see a placeholder that you already have installed.

Also there should be a option to auto uninstall other players mod cars when you leave the server.

Problem solved :cool:

13. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

This is probably why we should have a BeamNG Repository. Then each car can have a unique ID, then the game can download the missing vehicles from a proper server. If the car has no ID then display a generic one. These vehicles once downloaded should be in the vehicle spawn list under a separate folder for organisation purposes. The file sizes are not that huge either, the dsc buggy is 5mb and the 911 is 20mb. A lot of internet connections can handle that sort of data, while the vehicle is downloading a generic one should show with a loading bar over it to show progress. The user should also be able to set a download limit in the setting where they can specify not to download vehicle that are over x number of megabytes.

This way there is a centralised database of vehicles, which is nice when you want a new car to play with. A user with slow internet can tell it not to download anything over 0mb and just show generic vehicles.

14. KiloHotel

KiloHotel
    Expand Collapse

If vehicles have a signature file or key like ArmA 2 addons, assuring they are un modified and complete then having a list of allowed vehicles would work quite well.

15. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Maybe in addition to the stock cars, the server detects what cars people have and if everyone has the same car then it allows people to spawn said car? (Meaning, if some people didn't have, say the Bolite FT40, then you wouldn't be able to spawn it.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice