Win10 always tied to hardware?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by fufsgfen, Dec 6, 2018.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Thing is I have Win 8.1Pro Retail, that means I can do any number of hardware upgrades and license is going to work.

But what I read is that Win10 free upgrade would then make that to be like oem so that big upgrades make need of buying new license?

I did upgrade to Win10 long time ago and returned back to Win8.1 after that I have had different motherboard and license did work just fine, but I wonder if Win10 I have right to upgrade is now tied to hardware I had running at time when I did test Win10?

Or, does upgrading hardware on Win8.1, activating and then upgrading to Win10 make it tied again to that new hardware?

I barely remember, but there was also something about not being able to go back 2nd time.

Probably still going to use Win8.1 for at least year or two, however it looks like that when I build next system there is no way to avoid way too automatic updating Win10, however need to know before if there really is such horrible downgrade of license.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice