Windows 10 reset stuck at 30%.

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Godzilla!, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Godzilla!

Godzilla!
    Expand Collapse

A few hours after backing everything up, I told Windows 10 to wipe the SSD and then reinstall itself (basically I'm resetting it since nothing was removing the virus). It seemed like it was going fast since it reached 30% in the first 5 minutes...but it's still at 30%. For me, Windows always had issues getting stuck on updates and forcing me to restart it to recover back (once it caused BIOS to forget the SSD).

I bet it's stuck in the middle of the reset. What am I able to do right now?

2. KJP12

KJP12
    Expand Collapse

Grab the install disk if the reset stays stuck at 30%

Anyways, I don't really trust an in place reset considering the virus could still be running in the background...

3. Godzilla!

Godzilla!
    Expand Collapse

I don't have a disk drive.

4. KJP12

KJP12
    Expand Collapse

USB works too. If your computer doesn't have USB ports, that's a big issue for many reasons.

5. Godzilla!

Godzilla!
    Expand Collapse

I turned off the PSU and Windows booted with a message saying that the Reset failed.

6. KJP12

KJP12
    Expand Collapse

of course. Well, it was in the middle of it. Maybe try just reinstalling (which means 5000+ updates).

7. nolotank

nolotank
    Expand Collapse

DUDE.

This is why, in your other thread, everyone said, DO NOT USE A IN PLACE RESET. The virus will likely survive the reset and you'll end up losing your files and keeping the virus.

A clean install MUST be using an OS ISO (DVD, USB). I don't care what Microsoft's buttons say, there is no such thing as a clean reset without a full removal and installation.

At this point, you should download an ISO of your exact version of Windows and use a tool such as Rufus to make a bootable USB drive. THEN you can do a real reset.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

You're able to post on the BeamNG forums now...? So the reset doesn't seem to be bothering you much

9. Godzilla!

Godzilla!
    Expand Collapse

because my computer recovered

10. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

It works on phones, right?

11. KJP12

KJP12
    Expand Collapse

It should. Most sites works on smart phones now and days, even if they weren't designed for it.

12. eeEtilt

eeEtilt
    Expand Collapse

It works on phones, yes. I can access and use the website from my '15 Moto G.

Edit: Ninja'd

13. lyndon123

lyndon123
    Expand Collapse

i am naturally assuming you have a usb drive. if you use another computer as well as this one, go onto microsoft's website and download a windows 10. image creator: link https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

put it on the usb and wait. then get another hdd which i would assume you have as a secondary drive in your pc. install the windows copy from the usb drive onto that disk. also remember to set the bios so usb boot devices are the priority. anyway load windows onto the secondary drive, not the ssd. when it has loaded, format the ssd by right clicking the drive and format it. if this does not satisfy you, there are tools which can rewrite the drive by putting 1s and 0s on it to fully clear the data.

once that is done, reinstall windows on the clean ssd and i hope for the best. also delete the windows copy on the secondary drive. if you need a windows key i can probably give you a windows 7 one if you need it.

14. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

I'm posting on my phone right now, as I do most of my posts :p
    The mobile site is actually pretty well designed.

• Like Like x 1
  15. KJP12

KJP12
    Expand Collapse

He doesn't need a key for a reset. Most keys are bound to the hardware, so if he didn't change the hardware, he doesn't need to insert one. There are some cases where it fails and you need to insert one anyways. Normally the old key should work if hardware to key thing fails.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. lyndon123

lyndon123
    Expand Collapse

most custom boards Gigabyte, asus etc, are designed to run windows 7 and therefore do not store keys in the bios

17. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

Either way, you can run Win10 without a key in the first place, I've been doing that since it's beta and it's fine! No easy customization, but everything can be done with the registry editor/control panel/other programs.

18. KJP12

KJP12
    Expand Collapse

True. And I've been correcting my post.

19. BombBoy4

BombBoy4
    Expand Collapse

No, it's bound on any motherboard, doesn't matter what. A Pentium 3 motherboard could work.
    It's done in the server, bound to your Microsoft account.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. KJP12

KJP12
    Expand Collapse

But 8 and 10 keys are bound to more than just the motherboard. But normally, it should work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice