WIP 2CV Prototype (my first car model)

Discussion in 'Community Mods - Archived' started by Lightning, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Lightning

Lightning
    Expand Collapse

Hello everyone!

I made an unfinished model of the second 2CV Prototype with blender some time ago and now I would like to finish and implement it. But only if it is worth the time investment.
    2CV Presentation.png 2CV Presentation 2.png Also I got a few questions. :confused:

How are the different parts from the vehicle beeing merged later on and how are the soft-body-physics beeing implemented into them? (I have no idea how these things work)

What kind of 3d-file-format is the game going to support? (because blender is really buggy regarding converting things into certain file-formats)

I would really love to see this gracious car in-game to be driven off-road and to be smashed into pieces at some point. :rolleyes:

2cv 1939_2CV_Prototyp_4.jpg 2cv french2a2 2.jpg The second 2CV Prototype :cool:
    (These are later versions of the Prototype and differ from the second one) -> 2cv 6695367207_abd50f2150_z.jpg 2cv La_2_CV_prototype_devant_le_jardin_dacclimatation 2.jpg

2. Effect

Effect
    Expand Collapse

Awesome car! I can't wait to see it in game :)

Unfortunately i can't answer your questions, but i'm pretty sure someone from the forum will ;)

#2 Effect, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. eletricmano

eletricmano
    Expand Collapse

It's looking great, but it's a little bit boxy. I know the real car is boxy too but, the curved part of the car (the back) is kind of not curved enough. Try adding more polys.

4. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

Please don't tell people to add more poly's in a place where it's not needed. It doesn't need more polys for the roundness of the back. The shape itself of the curved back is fine too.
    Only things that needs more polygons is the detailing(ridges etc) and possibly the fenders, a little, not the main shape of the bodyshell.

@Lightning: You should try fixing the polyflow on the back of the rear doors and front of the front doors. I know polyflow is hard on a car like this, but you really shouldn't run edges diagonally across doors and such, usually also doesn't end well when it gets deformed in-game if you do that.

Couple of little things: The doors should be completely flat(which they are mostly, apart from the back of the rear doors and the front of the front doors, or so the shading would suggest). Or you could try to model the "not-accurate metalwork which caused the metal to get slightly dented everywhere because it's a completely flat metal sheet which is super weak"... But judging from your pics, you'd be better off just leaving it flat for now, since that would be very hard to get right.

I think the doors should be extruded further from the body, judging from the pictures.

Also, to me it looks like your front end(without the fenders) is narrower, compared to those prototype pictures, maybe even the whole car is too narrow. The "corners" of the fenders should be less round too. Judging from the pictures, they seem to be close to completely flat for about 20cm in width, then have a rounded corner, and then flat towards the wheel if that makes sense? I think both front and rear fenders should be a tad wider too, but that's hard to judge since they're a bit too rounded right now.

All in all I think you're doing pretty good, even when there's a few things that aren't perfect. Keep going :)

5. Lightning

Lightning
    Expand Collapse

Thanks guys! :eek:

Yea I'm going to add more polys to the exterior, but I don't think it would be wise to work on it next.

Creating all the different parts with low details first and then getting into detail after everything is put together seems more efficient to me, but I could be wrong.

Are/where you into car modelling yourself? :)

Btw I didn't model in blender for a long time and its going to take me some time to get used to the tools again.

6. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

Oh yeah... Forgot to say that :p Working low poly to get the shape right and then adding more for details is indeed way more efficient than going straight into detailing and having to redo/change it later. And yeah, I've been modeling for about 8 years or maybe even more now, currently going to my 4th/last year of my 3d modeling study at college, and like you, also have a car ready to put into BeamNG once a public version gets released(got a thread here too, if you want to see) :).

And something else I forgot to answer:
    As far as I understand, you just model the car as a whole, detach the parts you want to seperate, and give them names(like 2cv_door_LF). You'll need to build a skeleton of nodes and beams using a text editor(You should check out the Rigs of Rods wiki, Rigs of Rods uses a very similar node and beam skeleton for its cars), and you can assign the objects of your model to nodes in the skeleton.
    BeamNG uses a .dae format for its models, so Blender should be able to export that without any problems :)

And I did figure it wouldn't be your first ever model, looked too good for that :)

EDIT@below: Ah, my bad.. :)

And yeah, if you wanna dump 50k into this model it better not be in the body, cause that would be a complete waste of polygons :/

#6 Mythbuster, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  7. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

add 50k polys :D

8. Lightning

Lightning
    Expand Collapse

My last reply was written in reply to the first 2 replies, but you were faster Mythbuster! ^^

As a reference to the fenders I used different black and white pictures to the ones I originally posted, and these differ from the ones I posted quite a bit. And now, somehow, I can't find them anymore.:p

But I'll find them on google again eventually.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "ridges". (I'm German and can't speak english perfectly) :confused:

I agree that I have to fix the mesh on the doors and they're flat on the x/z axis. It's a shading issue. :)

The doors are actually very thin, but I have to add this shape on the chassis in which they are inbedded. That's what what makes them look so fat.

I have to check the dimensions. So far I have modelled based on pictures only. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the encouragement and the hints! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I hope I'll add allot of polys in the future! But 50K? ;)

9. Lightning

Lightning
    Expand Collapse

Mythbuster
    My reply on your second post that I totally missed:

Wow that's quite a long time beeing a modeler! ^^

You Cadillac looks very beautifull!

I guess I'm going to convert the Lenders, Doors, the Hood (and also the windows and fabric coating?) into seperate objects for now. :confused:

I'll check out the wiki. Many thanks!

regarding the polys Im thrilled on how many it will be if I get this project to finish! ^^

Convertion into .dae files seems to work fine! :cool:

.blend blendera.PNG .dae .dea.PNG

And yes I'm not totaly unexperienced.

I once made this Star Trek the Next Generation-Style-Starship for instance. It has 2600 polys. Spaceship rear.PNG Spaceship front.PNG

Thanks for your feedback! :)

10. eletricmano

eletricmano
    Expand Collapse

Hey, it was only an opinion, it's a great vehicle, I only thought it needed to be a bit more rounder at the back, a few adjustments wouldn't kill anyone.

11. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

You could get away with just doing those little ridges in the normal map - they don't affect the silhouette enough IMO to be worth modeling.

12. Lightning

Lightning
    Expand Collapse

Gabester

I'm Sorry. I really don't know what you mean by "ridges". :confused:

And I also don't know what you mean by "normal map".

Are you referring to the hood wich is rippled?

Thank you for your contribution!

13. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Yes, the ribs/ripples/ridges (whatever you want to call them) on the car.

Normal map: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_mapping

14. Lightning

Lightning
    Expand Collapse

Interesting technique and good idea! :)
    I made a simplified version of the the hood already but didn't manage to get the normal map to work so far.

Normal map hood.png

15. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

You shouldn't normal map anything until the model is complete, at which point you can UV map it and then texture it (which includes normal map)

16. Lightning

Lightning
    Expand Collapse

Yes, of course you're right! :)

Actually I just wanted give it a go and see what it would look like.

17. Lightning

Lightning
    Expand Collapse

Hello again

It has been a while since I posted something on this topic.
    I started making a new model of the Audi Quattro 1981 instead because I noticed the 2cv model appears to be very broken if you look at it from the side,
    because I recall that I used different pictures with different angles for it.
    Last Audi Screenshot.png
    Zappymouse had the same idea (http://www.beamng.com/threads/966-1980-Audi-Quattro) and began an Audi Quattro also.
    He has already made far more progress than me so my Audi Quattro-project doesn't make any sense anymore... :p

It's not a big deal for me though. I learned a little bit blendering again and also I have many other interests! :)

Now I would like to delete this topic soon, so nobody else waistes his time with it. I couldn't find the option to do so though.

Could somebody tell me how to do that?

18. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I think you have to get the moderators to do that for you. But threads aren't usually deleted. More often than not they are just locked so no more posts can be made.

19. Holland

Holland
    Expand Collapse

Seems great! Cannot wait to see it. Will you have interior parts?

20. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Try reading one or two posts above yours...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice