1. This section is for Ideas and Suggestions related to official game content. Don't request licensed vehicles here please. Read the rules here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GPU Fatal Error? Intel HD Graphics 620/630 Crashes? Help us solve them!
    Dismiss Notice

Wishlist for 2020!

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Nathan24™, Nov 9, 2019.

1. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

I don't see how DLC is "nickel and dime-ing" or how DLC is made obsolete by mods or how it would have to be "one or two parts" per DLC. All of that sounds closer to a predatory system like EA and Take-2 have rather than responsibly made DLC. Spintires (both Oovee and Focus versions), Cities Skylines, and Wreckfest all have both DLC and modding communities just as big as BeamNG (CS has an even bigger one) and it works fine for all of them.

There's plenty of games with extra storylines that are DLC and it works fine for them. DLC is a great way to fund extra content that wouldn't otherwise be financially viable and add content that some people won't care about (with how offended some people get at the idea of content that others want, that would be a very good thing for Beam).

I also don't see why you would be fine with paying $60 once instead of say $20 3x to get the same thing. Let's say hypothetically there was 6 parts of the game that cost $10 each, and one of them was vintage drag racing. There's a lot of people that like that sorta stuff and a lot of people that hate it. Doing the raceroom style business model would allow people who don't like that to not buy it, saving money by skipping out on what they will never play. In the current game bus routes and light runner are good examples. People either love those or hate them. If the game was $1 cheaper and those were $1 DLC, then there would be no price difference for people who want everything but an effective discount for those who do want it.

Not trying to turn this into a DLC discussion, just trying to point out that it costs money to make content and there's plenty of games that have pulled it off, even if there are a couple publishers that are predatory. It would be a good way to introduce some of the more controversial content though, just to lessen the "I wish bus routes/light runner/etc... were not in the game" comments.

#121 ManfredE3, Nov 28, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. DieselDrinker

DieselDrinker
    Expand Collapse

Well I'd be fine with paying the $60 since everything is interesting about cars to me. I mean I'm a Cummins diesel tech, it's all interesting. We shall let the developers decide their own financial plan, we shall not decide it for them.

3. Cool12345

Cool12345
    Expand Collapse

A Nintendo refurbished new 3ds xl grey or Galaxy.

4. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

Ah yes, because that's part of the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Nathan24™

Nathan24™
    Expand Collapse

Personally, I don't think Beam should EVER get DLC, it would ruin the game's vibe you know...

#125 Nathan24™, Nov 28, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

DLC in way where you get DLC instead of Sequel is great, imo.

DLC in way Paradox does it is like stealing, buggy lack of content game is 'fixed' by selling a metric ton of DLC.

DLC itself is not necessarily bad, it can allow developers to build much larger game than otherwise possible and it can allow consumers to buy game in pieces to have one larger game instead of sequels.

Think of Project Cars, you buy the game, then you buy Sequel, except you also buy content as DLC, that is bad, not like that.

So for example if you would get DLC that doubles amount of maps after 2 years or so and maybe gets you few vehicles for 15 euros, would it really be that bad?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. connstermonster

connstermonster
    Expand Collapse

i would love there to be more dynamic weather. such as a snow / rain / dry option in the enviroment menu. I feel that the driving dynamics for ambient weather is a little off

8. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

Honestly its a very touchy subject.
    But id love it if beam had DLC's, they just need to be done right.

Id prefer it if beam had a ton of dlc after release instead of having the final update be the final release.

As you say, it should expand on the game and not feel like you are throwing money away for content that should already be in-game.

An example. after the release of the game, there could be hypercar dlc with a few hyper cars and a map and some hyper car racing scenarios or even a small side campaign with all that.
    It doesnt have to be hypercar dlc either. it could be a theme of some kind. apocalypse dlc with a ton of apocalypse themed addons for already existing cars and scenarios/campaign to go with it.
    An expanded dlc like that, id happily give 15bux to these amazing devs to make dlc like this.
    Ive been thinking about donating a bux or 2 because i paid the game with fastspring back in 2014 and i even added a little extra. and i want to continue supporting these devs because no other racing sim matches this game. and i want them to keep working on this game as much as possible. as of right now the only way to support them is gifting a copy of the game to someone.

But dlc's could be another optional way to support them.

But again, touchy subject, thats ignoring piracy since its pretty easy copying a mod for this game. i was even thinking maybe they could give the dlc for free and give an option to donate instead but from what ive heard from people doing this kinda optional donation stuff. its not profitable at all and just plain doesnt work.

The game itself is not even 30 bux. i wonder what the full price will be at release. even if its 60 at release. i paid 20 years ago and i want to give a little more, dlc would be a nice way of doing that if you ask me. plus its extra content, so its even better.
    Its not EA Games we are talking about here. the devs wont cut out features of the game to sell it to you as dlc ya know.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Nathan24™

Nathan24™
    Expand Collapse

Look, DLC for this game would be pointless because users would probably just make something very similar to said DLC content (map, car, whatever) and then post it onto the forums where users can get it for free. Games like American Truck Simulator made it almost impossible to mod the game so people will buy the DLC, and if Beam did the same thing, that would just completely take away the whole modding aspect of the game, which makes up a big part of the BeamNG community.

DLC's are just not going to happen for this game. Period.

#129 Nathan24™, Nov 28, 2019
  10. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

It seems that most of the arguments against DLC are that it would compete with the modding community...
    A) As I said already, there's plenty of games were DLC and modding community can co-exist, I don't see how Beam would be different. Mudrunner, Spintires, Cities Skylines, and Wreckfest all have successful DLC and large modding communities.
    B) How many users are even capable of creating an official quality mod? It comes back to the "don't let the community do the devs job" thing that all official content has. You should not expect the community to make any content the game wants/needs. If you think that way with everything we would only have one official map and vehicle.

All other complaints seem to be against the predatory EA/Take-2 style of DLC and do not apply to the user-friendly options from most other publishers. DLC not not mean piecemealing the game or charging exorbitant prices or stealing content from elsewhere or not finishing the game.

I doubt Beam will ever see DLC, and that honestly makes me a bit sad because that puts a hard and tight limit on the content we can see. The fact is, $20 5 years ago cannot provide the same resources to make content that DLC could. Realistically with the current business model we are looking at what, 1 full sized map and 5 cars before finances dictate they focus on a more profitable project? DLC packs would remove that limit entirely. Once the game is finished with gameplay and a decent variety of content, DLC packs could provide completely optional and extra things to enjoy the game. Maybe a DLC pack with a campaign/mini-career mode that explores the history of a car brand, complete with an extra car or two. Completely supplementary, not mandatory, content.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

Yeah well thats one of the issues. piracy.
    But of course if they end up doing something like that, id say its an insta ban for those who re-uploads the dlc on the forum for free. kinda an obvious thing.
    Having locked up dlc is another thing on its own but that stops us from modding a bit and i dont think the devs will want to lock it up..

Saying that it just wont ever happen is a bit jumping to conclusion tho. I think its up for discussion but since it is a touchy subject things do get heated up quite easily.

If they have to lock up the files to prevent piracy, why not have dlc of officially licenced cars? (this one prob wont ever happen sadly, its more about the legal implications and the cost of owning the rights to a vehicles that brings complications.)

If not dlc, will beamng stop development as soon as they release v1.0? or is this game going to be in development forever. once 1.0 releases, they could still release patches after but its not profitable you know. after a while everyone will own a copy of beamng. Until they make beamng 2.0 i guess. (Or dlc's)

I dont think they are putting years of work into developing a game engine with a new world editor and extra tools to make stuff just so they can release 1.0 and then do nothing.
    They are gonna do something with this engine after the game is complete. (BeamNG.Fly anyone? hahaha)
    Foreal tho, BeamNG.Research is a thing so maybe they will focus on that after release. who knows.

• Like Like x 2
  12. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

You can't get some sounds of the game or the physics engine, so they have means to prevent getting content.

However I think they don't want to make DLC, they want to be open so that people can create more awesome.

At least not before game is 'done' whatever that means, years after game is done, who knows what will happen, I doubt this game is one with shelf life of 3 years only like so many other games seem to be.

Remember how there was talk about BeamNG paying to modders little something? Their hearts run bit different from EA for sure!

What I wish is not DLC so much as it is that BeamNG gets good compensation of their huge amount of work they are putting to this game, so that incredible talented team can keep building more incredible things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. mrsmash

mrsmash
    Expand Collapse

I still don’t see the point in DLC. It just doesn’t fit what type of game this is, and I think modding would not do-exist with DLCs. Maybe, it might work for other games like Spintires, but not Beam.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

But why could they not co-exist? You can say "it wouldn't" as often as you want but it doesn't change the fact that other games in similar positions have pulled it off. What makes this small dev team with large modding community game different from the others that this would turn out different?

And what's "not the point" in DLC? I already explained how it would completely remove the content limit from a funding point of view, which is a huge deal for me as I want to see this game have a massive quantity of official content which is impossible without a different business model. Such a system would place no obligation on users to buy that content because a properly done DLC would not affect the base game. That would get completed with or without the introduction of DLC. This is a system that allows for users who do not want to pay extra to not be affected, modders would have access to the usual stuff but not "extra" stuff so they aren't affected either*, and users who are okay with paying more have access to more content. I don't see what's wrong with that or what's "not the point".

*For those wondering about my "modders would not be affected" thing. Let's say the Bruckell Blackstone is introduced as DLC and due to funding could not come without DLC. What's the chance of a talented modder making the Bruckell Blackstone? Slim. If it comes as DLC then those files would probably be locked, so the modders have limited if any access to them. Would they have access to them if they didn't exist? Well, no. So either way the modders don't have access to the files, the players who don't want to pay extra don't have it either way, but players willing to pay what, $3?, get an entire extra car of official quality.

15. mrsmash

mrsmash
    Expand Collapse

First of all, you entirely made up the scenario of the dev team not having enough money, just to prove your point about DLCs being beneficial. Second of all, you really have to see the big picture. BeamNG.drive is not really the type of game where a DLC would really work. Just think about it long and hard, and you'll see where I'm going with this. It just doesn't work.

16. mrsmash

mrsmash
    Expand Collapse

17. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG.Support
    Staff Member

I have not followed from where this DLC topic came from, but just my two personal cents.
    *Disclaimer: these are my personal thoughts. Is not an official statement nor it means anything for future DLCs or similar. No second meaning intended*
    Just to be sure that what I'm saying is in no way misunderstood :)

DLCs could be a way to push a certain type of vehicles that would not fit in the usual type of vehicles we have.
    Or be something very specific to a certain type of use. Also could lead to develop new features for the main game that those content would to use.
    Especially here, where you can pretty much have anything, with the right amount of time and work given to it.

In short, could be something very particular that would not fit in the usual type of vehicles (or content) we already have, or so.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

I did not make up the idea that a business needs capital. That's a fact of business. I'm not asking to see any financial statements but the "pay $25 7 years ago" business model cannot fund development indefiently. Obviously Beam has done well since they don't need a publisher, but having your only source of income be a cheap game that's been on sale for 7 years is not wise.

You can keep saying "it doesn't fit" over and over, it's not going to be any stronger of an argument.

And I already addressed the modding vs official content thing. Hell, there's so much FREE stuff that we should just pirate the game and download every low quality mod we can find. Then we don't have to pay for anything. (There aren't even that many dev quality mods anyway but okay...)

#138 ManfredE3, Nov 30, 2019 at 3:53 PM
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 6:17 PM
  19. Nathan24™

Nathan24™
    Expand Collapse

To get this thread back on topic, I would really love to see a vintage American pickup truck be added in game:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. mrsmash

mrsmash
    Expand Collapse

thank you

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice