Working on finishing up new PC build, looking at monitor now...

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Driv3r1142, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

I recently upgraded from my previous PoS computer
    Old specs;
    AMD a8 5500 APU
    MSI r9 270x 4GB(reused in my new build, as for it had been lightly used for about a year thanks to the bottleneck from my old CPU)
    6GB crappy HP prebuild DDR3 RAM
    Windows 8(I miss this O.S, but oh well. Times change you know :p)

My new specs;
    Intel i5 4690k
    MSI r9 270x 4GB
    8GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM
    Windows 10 Home

I of-course have bought all the components alongside the new specs to make it a functional computer, but there are only 2 components my old and new rig have in common other than the temp. Optical Drive that was used to get Windows 10 installed on the computer from a disc.

The GPU for one, and then my 8 year old DELL flatscreen VGA monitor I used for 3 computers now. My first, my second, and my third. Wow I cant believe I have had this thing for so long :p Heck I don't even think they make that many VGA monitors now!

That thing, an outdated monitor for short, is what I am going to replace. While its fine, its not the best thing in the world to be using with my new rig. It is like putting crappy plastic and poor quality seats in a nice expensive luxury car. Kinda the same with my speakers but I am not 101% concerned with those yet. They're much older but work nicely with the treble turned down a bit.

I am looking for advice as to what I would be looking at for a new monitor that would not severely stress my GPU. The person helping me with this build is someone who looks at what is the biggest screen res. he can find in whatever display it is. So I need to give him some solid display dimension numbers before he and I start looking for monitors.

Right now I do not know my exact screen size as for I can not find those settings in Windows 10, but its not very big, with a resolution in BeamNG around 1336x745. This is close enough to give you an idea that this isn't really a big monitor. Almost anything today would be an upgrade over that.

Any suggestions? I mean, a GPU is one thing, but the monitor is the second part that makes the entire thing shine.

2. randomshortguy

randomshortguy
    Expand Collapse

BenQ GL2460HM

it's pretty big (24 inches), but it's 1920x1080, excellent response times, no ghosting, good colours, and has speakers through HDMI. It's around $150, and I thoroughly recommend it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Yes my GPU supports HDMI, so that isnt going to be an issue.
    Looks like one heck of a promising monitor. But I am interested to hear other options as-well if I cant convince the person helping me to go with me on it.

My GPU has 1 x DVI-D 1 x DVI-I 1 x HDMI 1 x DisplayPort(Taken from the NewEgg specs list, too lazy to turn on the light and see for myself :p)

So those are my ports I can plug a monitor into.

Thanks again @randomshortguy for mentioning that monitor.

The issue is mainly down to is a 1080p HD monitor going to overwhelm my GPU and slow down my rig any. I doubt it would hurt my performance much, but its always something to keep in mind.

4. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

A 1080p monitor will slow down your PC considerably when gaming - but it's worth it. Anything below 1080p is crap for gaming.

And a 270x should handle 1080p just fine, too - just don't expect to max out the latest games and get 60fps. I had a 270 for a while and it could run most games on high settings, with a very similar build.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

First monitor out....
    Apparently it has to come from some stupid credit-site called Fingerhut(Whatever the f**k that thing is, apparently my friend loves it and has a sh*tton of credit there.... so whatever. If he is paying for it might as well let him use his store. Its his fault anyway if it goes bad I can still use my monitor for another 5 years or so if he screws up.)

So we throw out everything but ASUS, HP, Acer, and DELL. Most are makers of those awful prebuilts. So I can only assume that the monitors share the same fate.

Still a few good monitors in there, although after trying to figure out if my PSU was a nuclear bomb or not based upon internet reviews has kinda left me on edge.(As far as I can tell its reliable though... :p)

Please try and link only from those 4 brands, as for I still have no clue as to what to do.
    Also, would a super widescreen monitor work with BeamNG? or should I just stick to the traditional 16:9 screen ratio?

Feel free to link a monitor from those 4 brands that you think is up to the task.

6. mumboking

mumboking
    Expand Collapse

There are still many VGA only monitors being made. I'm not sure why though...

Screen resolution has nothing to do with the physical size.

So, you're limiting yourself to these?

I'm pretty sure I've seen some users on here posting ultrawide screenshots.
    They require a more powerful graphics card to run them at high framerates because of how many pixels there are.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice