1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

World editor doesn't pick up on changes to user path in startup.ini

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Deleted member 280301, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Deleted member 280301

Deleted member 280301
    Expand Collapse

If the user path in startup.ini is changed, the in-game world editor doesn't seem to get the memo. Trying to load in, for example, a texture file results in it falling back to "NO TEXTURE" and an error to the console (e.g. Failed to load diffuse map ../../../../../foo/bar/baz.dds for stage 0).

The fact that it recurses backwards so much (each of those ../) when trying to read custom files (it's not just textures that are affected) made me think it was still trying to read from the default location, so I tried creating a junction/symlink from My Documents\BeamNG.drive to the where the actual user folder was, but that didn't work either.

On a another note related to startup.ini: I found that If it's been edited at all, it will cause Steam's own file validation check to fail for BNG (if you initiate it).

2. thomatoes50

thomatoes50
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

startup.ini isn't supposed to be changed during running time.
    Please modify when the game is shutdown

About the second issue, I think it's causing some issues with another user.
    The alternative is to use a command argument "-userpath E:\Documents\BeamNG.drive"

3. Deleted member 280301

Deleted member 280301
    Expand Collapse

I haven't ever written changes to the file while BNG was running. I also just did a test where I modified it while Steam was closed, then re-opened Steam and ran its validation checker - it still reported that one file failed and would be re-acquired.

I should mention that BNG's built-in validation checker does not fail if startup.ini has been changed (although it does complain if I outright remove the file, which I tested earlier).

Unfortunately, that method results in the same behaviour in the world editor as well.

4. thomatoes50

thomatoes50
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Steam issue with startup.ini
    Yes we should fix this.
    BeamNG integrity check too, maybe exclude it from the checking.​

I just checked your issue with the world editor and it's working fine here. (I do remember I fixed this long before we did the switch to the new FS)
    I set my userpath to F:\BNG_user
    Loaded a map, added a TSStatic
    and them applied two texture from :
    • F:\BNG_user\mods\unpacked\wip.zip\levels\foobar\art\textures
    • F:\BNG_user\levels\foobar\art\textures
    Note that last one is working but you are advised to not work like this and use folders inside mods/unpacked

It did work

If the change to startup.ini doesn't work, I guess there is an issue before that prevent to work.
    It can default to the default path if the game/launcher failed to read or parse the file.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice